E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate wiring harness replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E61 sold nice E91 335i Sport Touring now

Originally Posted by garychairson' post='844099' date='Apr 11 2009, 08:13 PM
Chesney72: I have got it fixed.. as i promised, i will post you a step by step how i went about fixing it attachment for your information. and for all of you have the same or similar problem and trying to fix it yourself.. please use this guide for your information only. i will not take any responsiblity of you harming yourself and/or your vehicle. it is fully at your own risk.

Once again thanks Whitestone for your cut and join concept and scrap yard spare cables idea.
Excelent write up Gary. I see you took far more time over it than I managed and that guide will help a lot of others. It's not a difficult job to do and the savings are HUGE over the dealers/BMW repair. And bear in mind if you pay for BMW to repair this they will simply replace the loom with the same one so eventually that will break too!!!
Old 04-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chesney72' post='844560' date='Apr 12 2009, 09:47 AM
Excelent write up Gary. I see you took far more time over it than I managed and that guide will help a lot of others. It's not a difficult job to do and the savings are HUGE over the dealers/BMW repair. And bear in mind if you pay for BMW to repair this they will simply replace the loom with the same one so eventually that will break too!!!

Chesney: yeah. that took me 5 hours to complete, plus 1 hour to get to halfords for the extra lengths of cabling. I know it took all in all 6 hours. but i never work 6 hours to save ?800 before.. it was well worth it. Please give ourselve applause..!!! i can see my rear number plate again at night... they were off for nearly 2 months.. hahahahaa... i wont laugh if i get caught and fined.... lol..
have you got your E61 remapped? i am considering it now.. and i have been reading other topics about it.. it sounded very advantagous than just lots more power...
Old 04-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Those of you who have had problems please post the build dates of your cars and how much use the tailgate/window gets - curious if there are any patterns. My Oct 04 car has been problem free in this area but I'm not a daily user of the tailgate/window either.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:05 AM
Members

Talking

Originally Posted by phelix' post='846726' date='Apr 14 2009, 12:34 PM
Those of you who have had problems please post the build dates of your cars and how much use the tailgate/window gets - curious if there are any patterns. My Oct 04 car has been problem free in this area but I'm not a daily user of the tailgate/window either.
Hi,. I use my boot every time i use my car, i have special equipment for work that goes in the boot. (not my lunch box ok.) it was built 2005, june. i dont really use my glass lid much.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 525dA

Originally Posted by phelix' post='846726' date='Apr 14 2009, 01:34 PM
I also had problems, and mine is dec 2004.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by chesney72' post='843383' date='Apr 10 2009, 10:54 PM
...Fix the wires and put it all back together.
I was getting a fog light housing replaced today at the dealership, and the E61 next to mine was having this exact same surgery on the tailgate wiring harness. It looked just like your pics - wires hanging down from the headliner, roof spoiler off.

I asked the Tech about this failure, and he said that it happens all the time. "Poor design" was his comment.

Something else to look forward to!
Old 05-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 525D 2005

Hi there,

Greetings from Holland. This is my first contribution to this forum. I already saw many very interesting items about this magnificent car. It'll take some time for me to catch up with reading all the items

Last week I bought a 2005 e61 (525D) and have exact the same problem as garychairson (my both rear number plate lights stop working, rhs reversing light and rhs rear fog are not working). I guess my advantage is that I have a 3 month guarantee period. However I'll print out the excellent DIY instructions made by garychairson and hand them over to the mechanic.

Again many thanks and I'll let you know how things worked out (the repair is scheduled for this week thursday).

Regards,
Gerry
Old 05-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Members

Talking

Originally Posted by Brains' post='875336' date='May 11 2009, 10:25 PM
Hi there,

Greetings from Holland. This is my first contribution to this forum. I already saw many very interesting items about this magnificent car. It'll take some time for me to catch up with reading all the items

Last week I bought a 2005 e61 (525D) and have exact the same problem as garychairson (my both rear number plate lights stop working, rhs reversing light and rhs rear fog are not working). I guess my advantage is that I have a 3 month guarantee period. However I'll print out the excellent DIY instructions made by garychairson and hand them over to the mechanic.

Again many thanks and I'll let you know how things worked out (the repair is scheduled for this week thursday).

Regards,
Gerry

Hi Gerry

Welcome to the E60 Forums for E61. sorry to hear your problem which like mine. not to worry, it is not a major problem to fix. We have lots of member here are very good in sorting out problems. what out for the rear suspension air pump failure. it is also a common problem with E61. again, if you have that problem. dont panic. it is a easy job to fix too, but will cost you a bit more, you will need a new pump. no harm to source one now if you are planing to keep your car for another 2 yrs. apart from that. it is a great car.. read some remap infor. it is superb!!..

see you here around..

good luck.. Gary
Old 05-13-2009, 05:06 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525dA

Originally Posted by Carterena' post='867454' date='May 4 2009, 09:15 AM
I also had problems, and mine is dec 2004.

And problems again

Now I can open "glass" bootlid only when the engine is running, otherwise I can't open it? Checked the wires, and I can't finde a broken wire (checked all 4 cabels, spend a whole day in my trunk )

Could it be something with the SW?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Members

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Carterena' post='877088' date='May 13 2009, 02:06 PM
And problems again

Now I can open "glass" bootlid only when the engine is running, otherwise I can't open it? Checked the wires, and I can't finde a broken wire (checked all 4 cabels, spend a whole day in my trunk )

Could it be something with the SW?
Hi

did you have the entire cable in the hinge unwraped all the way in and check??

gary

Quick Reply: Tailgate wiring harness replacement??