E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate wiring harness replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 08:57 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61

I am about to order from germany my self. I did my repair a year ago. But I did find it difficult soldering som of the broken cables. The one broken off I repaird. But the cables who only where damaged, I repaird with som electrical tape. I do not trust my repair, and are looking to change cables. I only did repair on the cables going up to antenna etc. The cables going down in the rear door I left untouched. I allso found a broken brown cable in hinge on the other side. I think this was earth to rear window heating. I dont understand why they dont do any repair one the other side in the video.....

I dont understand why you got so many cables.....? In the video you only need 2 cable sets. One in each hinge on the passenger side......?

Originally Posted by puppy
Look what arrived in the post yesterday

Just need to get in touch with my auto electrician to fit it
Old 10-26-2014, 12:18 PM
New Members

My Ride: 520d Msport E61 Step Auto Business edition

Lab161, I believe there are 2 other sets of cables on the other side, obviously they will be subject to the same stresses and strains as the other side...........worthwhile getting them all done to avoid future problems.

Don't know why the video only shows one side being done

The only problem I have at the moment is the rear de-mister barely works, and with winter coming, I will need this working properly
Old 10-27-2014, 01:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

I get where your coming from, but I'd rather pay the extra for the kit, and get it done professionally
My point is, if you had the silicone cable and had that done professionally, you'd be upgrading the wiring therefore reducing the chances of it happening again.

Instead of paying a kings ransom for cables that have proven their failure rate.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:37 AM
New Members

Lab161, I believe there are 2 other sets of cables on the other side, obviously they will be subject to the same stresses and strains as the other side...........worthwhile getting them all done to avoid future problems.

Don't know why the video only shows one side being done

The only problem I have at the moment is the rear de-mister barely works, and with winter coming, I will need this working properly
Its a real shame the video dont show repair of both sides

Did you buy from the company in the video or is the set you show in picture from some one else?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:04 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by lab161
Its a real shame the video dont show repair of both sides

Did you buy from the company in the video or is the set you show in picture from some one else?
Bought from the company in the video. My auto electrician is fitting the kit on 8/11, so I will let you know how it goes, and hopefully post some pictures of the work being done.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:06 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by 1Animal1
My point is, if you had the silicone cable and had that done professionally, you'd be upgrading the wiring therefore reducing the chances of it happening again.

Instead of paying a kings ransom for cables that have proven their failure rate.
The cables are made form silicone, so hopefully I won't have any problems in the future
Old 11-08-2014, 02:29 AM
New Members

Bought from the company in the video. My auto electrician is fitting the kit on 8/11, so I will let you know how it goes, and hopefully post some pictures of the work being done.
Thanks. I think I will buy from this seller as well. Looking forward to hear if cables match i in color and if you can use all cables in the set, like coax etc. I am allso wondering if there only are guids added in the cable set in German language......

We dont understand german to well here in Norway.....
Old 11-26-2014, 03:12 AM
Members

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i 2005, F11 528i 2012
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by lab161
Thanks. I think I will buy from this seller as well. Looking forward to hear if cables match i in color and if you can use all cables in the set, like coax etc. I am allso wondering if there only are guids added in the cable set in German language......

We dont understand german to well here in Norway.....
I used the same cable loom from the same company. It fitted perfectly. You should bare in mind that the color coding is different compared to the original ones, so some are doubled. The thickness of the wires helps to distinguish in some cases.

There are four looms, as there are two looms (big ones) going to the booth and there is one small cable loom going to the glass hatch (diversity unit) and one smaller which includes the small black water hose which also goes to the glass hatch.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:59 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all.

Just registered to say thanks to you all for taking the time to do the write ups on this problem on the E61's. I recently bought an 08 E61 and just yesterday had the rear window demister stop working. This was also accompanied by some bad interference on the radio signal so I did a little digging and here I am!

I did a little test last night, the demister was still not functioning, but I opened and closed the glass tailgate and all of a sudden it started working, so definitely looks like I've got a faulty wire somewhere. I will need to take the spoiler off and have a better look this week once I get the time.

I have one other related issue though, that being that my car is currently being assessed by BMW for a warranty repair to a small bubble of rust underneath the rear window glass. This, as far as I can gather, is also another known issue with these cars. I will need to wait and see what BMW suggest the fix for this is, as if they want to give me a new boot lid then that will obviously affect when I can carry out any wiring repairs.

Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited by mitchgixer6; 12-09-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:11 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by mitchgixer6
Hi all.

Just registered to say thanks to you all for taking the time to do the write ups on this problem on the E61's. I recently bought an 08 E61 and just yesterday had the rear window demister stop working. This was also accompanied by some bad interference on the radio signal so I did a little digging and here I am!

I did a little test last night, the demister was still not functioning, but I opened and closed the glass tailgate and all of a sudden it started working, so definitely looks like I've got a faulty wire somewhere. I will need to take the spoiler off and have a better look this week once I get the time.

Thanks again for all the help.
yeah had same problem.
Best is not to use the demister until its solved, the bad connection in the wire can heat up very high melting surrounding wires.

Quick Reply: Tailgate wiring harness replacement??