E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Sunroof wind noise - fixed

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this SIB.

Mine is going in tomorrow for a retrofit of the new seal covered under warranty.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by E60Sim
Thanks for this SIB.

Mine is going in tomorrow for a retrofit of the new seal covered under warranty.
YW.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Senior Members

The car is now as quiet as it should be.

Before the new list was installed I had to drive with the "curtain" closed, due to wind noises at speed above 120 km/h.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

Its a bit surprising that everyone gets such a good result!

Is it possible that BMW has changed the design of this seal in the last years?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mmitev
Is it possible that BMW has changed the design of this seal in the last years?
On RealOEM it says that this part is available since 12/2008, so it seems indeed it has been improved by BMW AG.
(Although the old one till 12/2008 has the same number and the same price)
Old 08-10-2011, 03:26 AM
Senior Members

According to the SIB, the part has been updated:

CORRECTION:
Replace the seal using an updated part, which utilizes a different material with improved durability. In addition, the geometry of the seal has been optimized for improved sealing.
In conjunction with this new style seal, some vehicles may requite a coding update to avoid future problems pertaining to the anti-trap protection being activated when no obstruction is present
Old 08-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Members

My Ride: '07 E61, blue exterior, grey interior, sport, premium, nav, other stuff

The guide presented by the OP worked beautifully....the only issue with it was that the installer (me) managed to stick the seal at the back just a little hi, so it is not perfect....sigh. However, while perhaps not esthetically perfect, there is no more wind noise. Two things I did notice/do was that the sticky residue left behind when peeling the old seal was a real pain to clean. I had to use rubbing alcohol and a rag to rub the stuff off, and that was a ton of work, also, my old seal was so dry that I did not have to do the 15 second open roof ant-trap procedure. Peace and quiet once again...!

George
Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 530xi sw

That is why almost all the SAs (Service Advisers) here in the States don't know what they are talking about.

I think my local dealer did the SIB on my wagon early this year after I complained about he wind noise. They had done it once before, so they did it a 2nd time, no charge, pretty good.

The newly improved seal has the extra width to just overlap the roof panel a little bit, therefore the sealing is improved.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:55 AM
Senior Members

I finally did the procedure this weekend. Haven't had the chance to test the wind noise reduction yet, but I can share the following, hopefully useful, insights about the DIY process:
- As my car is built in September 2004, the sticky tape of my original seal was very brittle. While removing the old seal, the tape teared almost everywhere, no matter how careful I was, and most of it remained stuck to the metal. It was a huge PITA to remove its remainings.
- I found it most effective to pick up the end of a piece of sticky tape and roll it sideways with my finger - that way, if done carefully, about 95% of the glue stays on the rolled tape.
- On the remaining small pieces of glue/tape, I used a small knife, being very careful not to scratch the paint obviously. Again, "pulling" the glue so that it separates itself from the metal, rather than scratching it off with the blade.
- The blade is also very helpful around the fixed rear piece of the roof, where one can not stick a finger in the space between glass and metal.
- On the still remaining tiny pieces of glue, one can use some tar dissolver: "Autosmart Tardis" in the UK or Tar Remover from SONAX elsewhere. It makes the glue easier to remove.
- I managed to remove maybe 98% of the glue overall.

The fitting of the new seal is explained very well here and I followed these instructions with success.

Now I also want to replace the seal between the two glass pieces, which seams to be the same product as the surrounding one, just a shorter piece.
Does anyone know what part number it is? I obviously do not want to buy a whole new seal, just to cut off and use a small piece:
Is it possible that this part is the short piece between the panels: 54137127565, Length 830mm? Link: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=54&fg=05&hl=3
It says the E61 needs 2 pieces, while the E70 X5 needs one piece. So the 2 pieces on E61 might be an error in the system. The surrounding seal is absolutely the same on both cars.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

I can confirm that the wind noise is gone up to 110 km/h Haven't driven faster yet.
However... now I have a problem with the wind noise from the side mirrors, as I can hear it

Anyone knows what part number is the middle seal between the glass panels?

Quick Reply: Sunroof wind noise - fixed