E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Sunroof glass exploded while car was sitting idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 09:55 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54
Angry Sunroof glass exploded while car was sitting idle

I found this lone thread describing a similar issue and a few threads on the E90 forum but no much on here.
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...nroof+exploded

Initially I thought this was an act of vandalism but the way the glass is damaged it curves upward which I do not think is the signature of an external force.

Anyone know the cost of replacement?

Old 11-06-2016, 04:19 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Why not just call your dealer? Insurance should cover it.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:12 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 Manual E61

Happened to me while driving 70 in a driving rain storm. As I had the sundshade back, I was showered with glass.

Insurance covered my replacement, and investigation found it is an unacknowledged problem with a suppliers lot of glass. Under certain thermodynamic stresses a flaw in the glass will cause it to explode.

Happened to me 3 weeks after picking up the car, luckily I had not yet sold the Allroad, so I had a backup.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:55 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by sFfalenn
Happened to me while driving 70 in a driving rain storm. As I had the sundshade back, I was showered with glass.

Insurance covered my replacement, and investigation found it is an unacknowledged problem with a suppliers lot of glass. Under certain thermodynamic stresses a flaw in the glass will cause it to explode.

Happened to me 3 weeks after picking up the car, luckily I had not yet sold the Allroad, so I had a backup.
This is encouraging. Did you take your car to the dealer first or did the insurance adjuster look at it first?
Old 11-08-2016, 10:12 AM
New Members

I dropped the car off at the dealer this morning. Waiting to see the repair estimate.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:38 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

this happened to the previous owner (a family friend) of my E61 as well. He said it occurred on an extremely cold winter day when he was at highway speed.

I have his repair invoice - the front glass (part# 54-13-7-140-777) was replaced. Parts were $635 and labor was $891. I *think* the dealer will totally remove the headliner to access the sunroof mechanism, which is why the labor cost is so high. it looks like you MAY be able to remove the torx screws for just the glass without taking the headliner out. TIS says "remove and dispose of the torx screws...securing the glass panel to the mechanism" There appear to be three of them on each side. TIS says to take out the headliner but since the glass is lifted out from the top, you may be able to get creative and access the screws with the headliner in place. likely, you'll need to remove that plastic accordion like thing first to get to the screws.

edit: looks like you can buy the glass on ebay for about $250-300. I think the glass for the E61 was the same as the panoramic roof in the X3 and X5 for those years.

Last edited by BostonJon; 11-11-2016 at 11:43 AM.