E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Strange electronic problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 03:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

I would definitely replace the thermostat - 59 deg C on the road is far too low. Then see if the drive-ability improves.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Originally Posted by DaManNi
I have a similar problem.

After car wash or overnight heavy rain, and within 20 seconds of driving off, all of the lights on the dash lit up, the idrive screen goes dark, headlights go off, DSC failure, window trap failure, run flat failure and the speedo dropped to zero

I disconnected the Intelligent Battery Sensor and the car ran fine for about 10 days, however there wasn’t any really heavy rain nor did I use the car wash. With the IBS disconnected, the startup sequence (all lights going out on dash from initial turn of ignition key) seems to be about 2 seconds quicker.

During the 10 days, I started the car before the DSC and within 20 seconds of driving off, all of the lights on the dash lit up, the idrive screen went dark, headlights went off, DSC failure, window trap failure, run flat failure and the speedo dropped to zero. This was after a dry night.

Yesterday I went to the car wash and overnight heavy rain and guess what, same problem, all of the lights on the dash lit up, the idrive screen went dark, headlights went off, DSC failure, window trap failure, run flat failure and the speedo dropped to zero. I’ve checked the boot and its bone dry.

This is driving me crazy. L
Put a voltmeter on the car and see if the od behavior corresponds to voltage spikes. I had v similar problems and a new voltage regulator solved the problem.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520D E61 LCI 11/2007

Hi again, here with a little update.
Sorry that it took so long but the car has been testing me...

So I went on and replaced the thermostat and the coolant (easy).
At the same time I cleaned out the dpf with an industrial pressure washer and dryed it out good.
I took the car for a spin and everything worked fine, temp went to 85° and the engine felt reborn, allot more torque and nice steady accelerations . (also no error message anymore about the dpf being clogged)

But the next day, the torque drops started to come back slowly
I bought the Forte dpf cleaner because that seemed like the best product for its money when I was browsing on the net.
Drove about 500km with it but no noticeable difference.

A few days later it got even worse followed by 2 minutes of high pitch metal scraping which went away together with the torque that I had left...

Turbo failed catastrophically, turbine broke of the axle and was laying in its housing.

Found a re-manufactured one, and replaced it together with oil filter and oil.
Turbo's don't fail like that on their own so I assumed there was or had been a problem with the oil supply.

When I checked the level I found it was about 4 mm above max level, which was very strange because my last oil change was about 20k km ago and I was about to do my next change. (already bought filter and oil)
Also the oil had a diesel smell on it.

So after some looking on the internet I assume that the problem with the dpf caused the engine to do allot of regeneration attempts which let allot of unburned diesel to get into the oil system. (it seems to be a common problem if you have dpf problems).

And the combination of the diesel in the oil and the high oil level could be the cause of the turbo failure. (all assumptions, car has 225k km so there can be allot of reasons)

With the new oil in the engine and the turbo oil outlet disconnected, I cranked the engine and after a few seconds there was fresh oil dripping out.
So I'm pretty sure the new turbo gets it oil.

So far so good...
Car runs allot better now, but the dips in torque just below and just above 2000rpm remain, although they are allot less noticeable.
Today I changed the MAP censor, and this didn't change much. (little more responsive though)

Tonight I finally got the BMWhat app installed (been trying a few days but google play didn't wanted to perform my purchase for some reason )

After clearing all the engine fault code's there where 4 remaining.
3 about engine glow plugs (cilinder 1,3 and 4 I believe)
And one about the particle filter system.
I don't have the right codes right now because the app didn't store them and I wasn't connected to internet at the moment I read the car, but I will try again tomorrow.

So if anyone has an Idea about what to do next I would gladly hear it.
I'm getting a little frustrated with the car, my former 528I e39 only stopped working properly when it ran out of petrol....