E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Stainless steel brake lines for E61 (Not AWD)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:33 AM
RCB
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535Xit

Originally Posted by BostonJon
just out of curiosity because i also have an E61, what upgraded components are you using?

noticed you're in boston too - if you dont already have a set of line wrenches, you're more than welcome to use mine. i have a mightyvac too that i used to bleed my brakes after I put on new lines.

I actually own a shop. I do a lot Japanese turbo cars (ISF, Supra,GTR mainly) and I also specialize in N54 BMWs. I just finished a E60 build with FBO and Pure stage 2 turbos now I have a E92 in process that is getting FBO+ and a tune.
I don't advertise myself as a vendor because my business model is purely referral work and community relationship based. It's more a private way of doing things and I am much closer with my customers this way.
Either way I really appreciate the offer to help me out. If you ever need anything it goes both ways. You should swing by sometime, I'm in Burlington. PM me if you want to chat more.

Regarding the brakes I did the one strop from M5 upgrade. The E60 535i RWD has the bigger rotors and a different caliper bracket to move the caliper outward for the larger diameter. I swapped the fronts out for the larger E60 calipers and rotors. For the rear I kept the stock rotor diameter for now. In order to do the larger rotor/caliper combo in the rear you also have to change the spindle and wheel bearing because the rotor hat on the E60 has 20mm less offset. I didn't want to get into that this year. Instead I just got new Zimmermann rotors for the rear.
So in total I am doing E60 front brakes, new Zimmermann rotors all around, Cool Carbon pads all around, UUC s.s. Brake lines and Motul RBF600 brake fluid.

It's not the M5 upgrade but it should be a good improvement from were I was.

Chris
Old 08-24-2016, 10:22 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535XiT Sport Wagon

Interesting, I was debating this same brake upgrade. My front rotors look pretty good on wear, but one is warped, maybe both. Was debating whether to have it turned, buy new rotors or do a complete brake upgrade. M5 upgrade is out, because it probably won't fit my 18s (style 124) and I'm not upgrading wheels for now. So the E60 RWD front caliper is a good upgrade or would a decent set of rotors and pads get me close as well?

(Sorry for the hijack)
Old 08-24-2016, 06:49 PM
RCB
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535Xit

When rotors are wrapped I feel like cutting them and making them thinner is a short term fix. They are just more susceptible to warping again.
The E60 535i upgrade is just new rotors and calipers. The pads are the same part number since the bracket is all that changes to move the caliper further out. I purchased some Cetric Reman calipers and they weren't that expensive.
The way a viewed it was that I had to buy pads and rotors anyway so the only added cost was calipers and I had an upgrade.

I'll start a new thread with pics and info tomorrow because we really have hijacked this thread!

Originally Posted by MiniNL
Interesting, I was debating this same brake upgrade. My front rotors look pretty good on wear, but one is warped, maybe both. Was debating whether to have it turned, buy new rotors or do a complete brake upgrade. M5 upgrade is out, because it probably won't fit my 18s (style 124) and I'm not upgrading wheels for now. So the E60 RWD front caliper is a good upgrade or would a decent set of rotors and pads get me close as well?

(Sorry for the hijack)
Old 08-24-2016, 06:58 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

@RCB...

PM Sent