E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Roll-up cover no longer resetting

Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xiT Silver/Gray with Sport, Nav, Cold, Convenience, Logic7 and more.

Originally Posted by Laco19
Look at the schematics (In attachment) maybe help you.
Modules located under spare tyre are often damaged by water, so you should look inside LCPA module (manufacturer TEMIC, 3 connectors) if is without oxidation.
You can also check supply voltage from fuse at pin 7 LCPA module (thick red/white wire).
Laco, thanks a lot for a diagram!
I was able to locate the cargo cover position sensor, at the top of the right track in cargo area, it is a magnetic switch and the cover's cross-rod has a magnet on its right end, so basically, when the cover is all the way up in its tracks, the magnet closes this switch. The switch is connected to LCPA module (per diagram), and I confirmed it works.

Here is the pic of a magnetic switch - notice black cylindrical thingy:
Name:  35466b39-dd6c-4c82-87e4-1a4bf3bc771c_zpsab40496e.jpg
Views: 2964
Size:  71.9 KB

Here is a switch disconnect at the bottom of the track - makes it convenient to test the switch or imitate cover presence in the track:
Name:  02c25178-27a2-4ba5-bb41-926c88227332_zps2e4818ad.jpg
Views: 3091
Size:  77.9 KB

Here is LCPA module found under spare tire:
Name:  2014-04-21194020_zps0d989fc8.jpg
Views: 3399
Size:  77.2 KB

I also checked the supply voltage from fuse at pin 7 LCPA and it is present.
Unfortunately, at this point it seems like I am running of diag options.

Last edited by vash68; 04-23-2014 at 08:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Arbuz (07-16-2022)
Old 04-23-2014, 09:39 AM
New Members

See inside LCPA module, whether it is water damaged. It is very easy to disassemble black enclosure, is not glued.
A common problem of E60 wagon is damaged wiring loom in trunk hinges but I don't know if it can be related to this problem. Have you noticed some strange behavior related to the trunk lid?
Old 04-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xiT Silver/Gray with Sport, Nav, Cold, Convenience, Logic7 and more.

Originally Posted by Laco19
See inside LCPA module, whether it is water damaged. It is very easy to disassemble black enclosure, is not glued.
A common problem of E60 wagon is damaged wiring loom in trunk hinges but I don't know if it can be related to this problem. Have you noticed some strange behavior related to the trunk lid?
I am aware of trunk hinges wiring issues, but no, I did not notice any symptoms related to that yet. Will take a crack at LCPA module when I have time.

Looking around under the tire and not finding any signs of water presence, which is the only good news in my case
I wonder if anyone tried to relocate all the modules from under spare tire into higher location in E61 the trunk area, just like E60 owner do.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:33 AM
Members

I ended up taking my car to a dealer, and, as I suspected, they "coded out" this cargo cover roll down feature from my car while coding the car after a coolant pump replacement (twice this month). They reprogrammed the car and all is working again! This was free of charge since I pointed out that this feature broke while in their garage.

This time it was just a bad experience with this dealer's technical crew after 3 years of positive stretch.
The following users liked this post:
Arbuz (07-16-2022)
Old 09-07-2014, 10:13 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vash68

After I did all this and checked the motor wiring and ran it on the bench from 12v DC source, I figured out how to test the motor WITHOUT removing it from the car.
How did you re-assemble the motor after taking it apart? I did the same thing to clean the brushes, and I can't figure out how to hold the springs down long enough to get it back together.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:45 AM
New Members

My Ride: is black
Model Year: 535

I placed big box in my trunk and forgot about the cover, when I closed the gate cover rolling down hit the box and rolled back up about 2" then got stuck...
After few weeks I finally found time to take care of it, instead of taking apart whole car I found the wirng to the cover motor... There's 2 plugs on the left side of the trunk lock the one located deeper is for cover motor, I had to unplug the first one to get acces to the one for cover motor.
After I unplug it all I did was to run temporary wires from fuse terminal (right side of the trunk) and tap to 2 wires in the plug the white and green colors.
This procedure is safe cause motor runs both directions so no matter how you gonna tap the wires positive to green and negative to white or vice versa it would roll down or up.
First I roll it down then plugged everything back then tested... Fail
Then decided to unplug it again and roll it up plug back and test... Bingo
Cover working back just perfect.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by wooboodoo
I placed big box in my trunk and forgot about the cover, when I closed the gate cover rolling down hit the box and rolled back up about 2" then got stuck...
After few weeks I finally found time to take care of it, instead of taking apart whole car I found the wirng to the cover motor... There's 2 plugs on the left side of the trunk lock the one located deeper is for cover motor, I had to unplug the first one to get acces to the one for cover motor.
After I unplug it all I did was to run temporary wires from fuse terminal (right side of the trunk) and tap to 2 wires in the plug the white and green colors.
This procedure is safe cause motor runs both directions so no matter how you gonna tap the wires positive to green and negative to white or vice versa it would roll down or up.
First I roll it down then plugged everything back then tested... Fail
Then decided to unplug it again and roll it up plug back and test... Bingo
Cover working back just perfect.
My 08 75,000 miles, cover failed as well. Still have the original water pump. The car has been flawless for the last 4 years. The first 5 years were not great injector and fuel pump issues and the last issue was carbon build up on intake values; all fixed at no charge by the dealer.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:29 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

hi everyone-

resurrecting an old thread here but this but i am having issues with the auto-retraction feature on my roller cover. the pictures posted already were so helpful in diagnosing/disassembling my system.

SYMPTOM:
-roller cover does not close (lower down) automatically when I close the rear hatch. it pops open just fine if i manually put it in the lower position and then open hatch.

DIAGNOSTICS SO FAR:

-my roller cover motor works properly when I apply an external 12V source directly to the motor. it reverses direction when I reverse polarity. therefore, i believe the motor to be OK.

-my LCPA module is receiving 12V on Pin7 (red wire w/ white stripe) from the distribution panel fuse 71. therefore, I think the circuitry between the battery and LCPA is functioning properly.

-the magnetic sensor on the right track is working properly. it shows continuity (testing at the sensor itself and at the LCPA) in the presence of a magnet if i stick a magnet at the top of the track. therefore, i believe the location sensor is working properly.

-when the cover is up, there is no continuity at the sensor. my understanding is that there are small magnets in the guides on the roller that should activate the sensor when the roller cover is in the up position. . it would seem to me that the roller cover is not providing enough magnetism to close the sensor and tell the LCPA to engage the motor by sending 12V to the motor.

-there is no 12V signal from the LCPA (red w/ green stripe & black w/ blue stipe) to the motor when opening and closing the hatch. at first i thought this was because of the sensor issue above, but i taped a magnet at the top of the track (and confirmed with a continuity check at the LCPA) and opened/closed the hatch, there was still no 12V signal from the LCPA.

I'm wondering if the LCPA is bad or has been coded out by the dealer as someone else mentioned. i noticed that the trim had been disassembled previously and i'm wondering if a failed repair led them to deactivate the feature.

any thoughts?

Last edited by BostonJon; 01-17-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:21 PM
New Members

My Ride: white
Model Year: 1947
Engine: b38

My only thought is not to leave it pulled closed until you fix it.

My cover didn't function when I purchased my car last year and one of the tiny roller bearings failed, as I noted in this thread:

https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...r-woes-143406/

Still haven't had time to diagnose and repair mine.

If you learn anything related to yours having been coded out, by all means report back.

Last edited by E61FUN; 01-20-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:15 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by E61FUN
My only thought is not to leave it pulled closed until you fix it.

My cover didn't function when I purchased my car last year and one of the tiny roller bearings failed, as I noted in this thread:

https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...r-woes-143406/

Still haven't had time to diagnose and repair mine.

If you learn anything related to yours having been coded out, by all means report back.
based on all the information from other people, my diagnosis detailed above, and the fact that the cover is releasing from the low position when i open the door but not moving back down when i shut the hatch, im thinking one of the following possibilities is at play...

1) the LCPA module is faulty and not sending the 12V signal to activate the motor even though the magnetic sensor is indicating that the cover is in the UP position and should be lowered.

2) the LCPA module works, but has been "coded out" by the dealer because of prior issues that could not be resolved. I am doing some more research about NCSexpert to learn how to read out my VO and see of the roller cover option ($RAH i believe) is present and if it needs to be added back and activated.

3) there is a wiring fault between the LCPA and the retractor motor. i think this is unlikely but i can test this by running wires directly from the LCPA to the motor and see if the problem resolves.

i'm not normally one to just throw parts at a problem, but i've ordered a used LCPA module from ebay since they are cheap. apparently they were used for the automatic seat belt retractor mechanism on the 3-series coupes so they are relatively easy to come by for ~$25. if that doesnt work, i will proceed with #2 and then #3.

definitely open to other suggestions!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roll-up cover no longer resetting