E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Roll-up cover no longer resetting

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

Originally Posted by JeffVander
This is insane, because of this thread, I actually phoned the BMW dealership. Guess what? I have this option. It comes with the auto closing trunk! I got the car when it was a year old as a CPO. Guess the thing never worked from the get go. They said they'd have to look at why it wasn't working, didn't indicate it was common or uncommon an issue. Good grief, talk about discovering something late into the ownership experience. I've had the car for more than a year now... who knew...
Wow! I guess this is good news for you, yes?
Old 11-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. Still under warranty. Probably will wait though, only 4,000 miles until rear brakes need work.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

Mines gettin fixed when the parts come in....
Old 11-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TLO03
Mines gettin fixed when the parts come in....

I'll be going in on Friday to let the dealer have a look at my cover after they replace my driver side Angel Eye bulb.

It's embarrassing to visit the dealer just to get a daggone bulb replaced, but they seem to have designed the headlamp assemblies so as not to be easily user-serviceable. I have to keep telling myself "at least it's free"
Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Members

You mean the H8 bulb for the Angel eyes? I think you have to pull the entire light assembly out to do this. I recall seeing the instructions on YouTube. Could not believe what a pain in the ass it was. Wait until you try to replace the foglight bulb. Have to go through the wheel well cover to get to it.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530XiT (E61)

I bought an 07 530xiT last December and read about this 'option' in these forums. Mine did not work from the time I bought it so I wasn't sure I even had the option, but based on what I had read I thought the car probably had it but it just wasn't working. I mentioned it to the dealer at the next servicing and they looked at it and thought they'd fixed it, but I'm not really sure they understood the issue as it still didn't work (probably only a handful of these cars in this city). So I had a look myself. It was actually a pretty easy fix - a few little trim pieces in the back, and taking apart some little tracks and cables and such. I even re-built the motor but that was relatively straightfoward too. I put it all back together and voila - works perfectly! I took a little video of it working - I'll try to upload it somewhere and post a link.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mantraguy
I bought an 07 530xiT last December and read about this 'option' in these forums. Mine did not work from the time I bought it so I wasn't sure I even had the option, but based on what I had read I thought the car probably had it but it just wasn't working. I mentioned it to the dealer at the next servicing and they looked at it and thought they'd fixed it, but I'm not really sure they understood the issue as it still didn't work (probably only a handful of these cars in this city). So I had a look myself. It was actually a pretty easy fix - a few little trim pieces in the back, and taking apart some little tracks and cables and such. I even re-built the motor but that was relatively straightfoward too. I put it all back together and voila - works perfectly! I took a little video of it working - I'll try to upload it somewhere and post a link.
Wow - I'd love to see that video, buddy.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530XiT (E61)

Just put it on YouTube.

Note that this is only a video of it working, not a video of me fixing it! I have a few photos I took of the dis-assembly and re-assembly if anyone's interested.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mantraguy
Just put it on YouTube.

Link to Youtube

Note that this is only a video of it working, not a video of me fixing it! I have a few photos I took of the dis-assembly and re-assembly if anyone's interested.
I'm interested in the pictures, so post away. I appreciate the video too. I'm sure it will help some folks understand just what the hell we're going on about I'm sure more lightbulbs will come on as folks discover that they have this option, but that it isn't functioning properly.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:14 AM
Members

This feature must be a complete lemon as I took delivery of the car with this broken. It only had 8,500 miles on it when purchased. Ack, it's under warranty, I worry about it at the next servicing.

Quick Reply: Roll-up cover no longer resetting