E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Repair/reconnect the plastic radiator hose connections?

Old 02-12-2017, 12:02 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61
Default Repair/reconnect the plastic radiator hose connections?

First off - nothing like digging into the engine bay to realize how dirty it is despite the trips to the car wash. Odd issue here, but the search didn't help much. This is on an 06 - so the N52 and oh so common auto.

I had a low coolant message come up on my way home today - and while I'm adding water, I hear trickling over on the driver side. I assumed that my pump or something had gone south - but instead I'm seeing water coming out where two hoses meet - the big supply hose Y from the top of the engine and what I'm thinking is one of the heater supply lines.

Here is where it's leaking from - I moved the hose a little further over to check if it wasn't the return line just under it that was leaking from the same spot. This was taken standing at the front on the drivers side:

So - are these connections repairable or am I replacing that heater hose? Honestly, I'm not entirely sure on how to disconnect and reconnect them. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:01 PM
New Members

I was looking at this picture again and I noticed that there isn't a metal retainer clip like I see on those plastic connectors when I browse ECS or Turner. I went out and could easily separate the two hoses - so maybe I've just lost that retainer clip (somehow) -- is that just a part by itself or do I need to get the whole pipe? And if it's just a case of those coming apart, could I just hose pipe clamp it back together? I'm thinking that the plastic would prevent it from holding - but I'd like to hold out hope.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:42 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

That hose looks like it's missing the metal clip, but I'd venture to guess the hose is just old and worn. I just did a water pump job on my friend's '04 E46 and I had to replace one of the hoses due to a leak at the plastic connector. I'd get a new hose.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:59 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
That hose looks like it's missing the metal clip, but I'd venture to guess the hose is just old and worn. I just did a water pump job on my friend's '04 E46 and I had to replace one of the hoses due to a leak at the plastic connector. I'd get a new hose.
I eventually found the hose I needed and it was $40 - so I think you're right and it's just worth it to replace the whole thing. It's odd because that means that either somehow that clip was recently lost somehow or that it made it 2 years without separating.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by el_cabong
I it made it 2 years without separating.
luck.

Search this Thread