E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Power Tailgate Oil. Acceptable Substitutes?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

You know, I've had my tailgate, when closing, make this creaking sound the last few weeks. The unit was replaced about 1.5 years ago, so I can't imagine it's the problem again. It closes no problem, doesn't hesitate or anything.

Can this creaking sound be a symptom of low oil? Or difficulties closing are generally the symptoms?

Since my dealer warranties parts for two years after install, I dropped by last week, and they sprayed some oil on it first, which didn't help, so now the tech said he was going to order a new pump for me.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:47 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xiT Silver/Gray with Sport, Nav, Cold, Convenience, Logic7 and more.

Originally Posted by cheticus
My Royco 756 fluid arrived in the mail today and I was able to dismount the pump and add the fluid to it. The top bolt is a real pain in the a$$ to get access to! Anyway, added the fluid and the trunk runs like new. I'm hoping that the leakage of the old fluid was a result of lines bleeding and not something else but for now everything is running great.

Cheticus,

did you add Royco to existing aeroshell/bmw oil or did you completely drain old hydro fluid BEFORE adding Royco?

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2014, 03:37 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by vash68
Cheticus,

did you add Royco to existing aeroshell/bmw oil or did you completely drain old hydro fluid BEFORE adding Royco?

Thanks!
I added to existing fluid. There wasn't much left of the existing stuff and it was very sappy. Things are still working great by the way.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
You know, I've had my tailgate, when closing, make this creaking sound the last few weeks. The unit was replaced about 1.5 years ago, so I can't imagine it's the problem again. It closes no problem, doesn't hesitate or anything.

Can this creaking sound be a symptom of low oil? Or difficulties closing are generally the symptoms?

Since my dealer warranties parts for two years after install, I dropped by last week, and they sprayed some oil on it first, which didn't help, so now the tech said he was going to order a new pump for me.
Update on the above:

I just had my cylinder replaced by the dealer, its part # is 51247163662, which is all that was warrantied (and strangely, replaced already 1.5 years ago, so I hope it does not crap out again!). The part # of the hydraulic pump itself is 51247163661. The tailgate itself had no problems opening all the way, or closing. Just made creaking sounds when closing.

But the sound persisted, and they said it's due to low oil in the pump, which they topped up, and the noise is gone.

However, I have a small leak in the pump apparently, so they said I might need to go back once every year or two to get it topped up (hoping it won't fail in the meantime). As with dealers, they said the pump is a $1600 CDN part, and I see it's listed at ECS for $750 US... And they wonder why people call them "stealers"...
Old 05-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cheticus
I added to existing fluid. There wasn't much left of the existing stuff and it was very sappy. Things are still working great by the way.
Did you have to bleed it or anything? I don't see anything mentioned in the only instructions I've found on it so far.

Anything else to add for us who need to add oil?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB - E60 Automatic rear lid.pdf (111.3 KB, 1614 views)
Old 05-15-2014, 10:32 PM
awt
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2001 320Ci Coupè

I just added to the existing aswell, no need to bleed anything.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

My Royco fluid arrived yesterday and I was able to address my tailgate fluid. It was apparent that my hydraulic pump had a leak as there was a good amount of fluid in the crevasse under the unit. As stated above the external fluid was thick and gooey, almost like molasses. Thankfully the oil in the reservoir appeared to have normal properties.

When my pump had low oil: the tailgate would open 1 out of every 3 times (maybe), and while opening the pump sounded like it was under great strain (very noisy) during the last 1/3 of it's travel. After topping off with Royco function returned to "normal." It opens much more consistently and quietly.

If someone wants 1/2 of the remaining quart of Royco fluid let me know, it can be picked up in the Bay Area; I will keep some of it for my inevitable top-off.

Evan

Old 05-17-2014, 09:40 PM
awt
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2001 320Ci Coupè

Why did you dismantle half of your car?

You can reach it from the cover in the boot.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by awt
Why did you dismantle half of your car?

You can reach it from the cover in the boot.
...because I did not know any better.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

So how long does the project take to do the fill, if you don't take apart your interior? For a first timer... Looks like you have to gain access to the pump, take it out and turn it upside down, to fill it? Would you have enough room to do so if you're just taking off a cover?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Tailgate Oil. Acceptable Substitutes?