E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

new (to me) e61 M-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 06:12 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Miata Starion Forester

Congrats on the car! I almost went up Saturday to look at it! One locally has popped up though ( non-m sport ) and I couldn't do without heated seats LOL

We need to eventually have a meet up of E61's in the SE.

... I need to actually buy one come to think of it.

Ah, Clemson. The closest Jack in the Box
Old 02-08-2016, 06:33 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by oclvframe
Hey Eric,

Congrats on the purchase! I was texting with stormhammer on this forum and he mentioned a NC car with the m-sport package....funny coincidence that we'd randomly just texted about that car!

Hey GTYellowJacket.....I too am a GT Yellow Jacket: EE89.....and....I too am a Robert!
BTW...my avatar is my E61 parked behind the old ROTC recruiting building at GT....

-r
Robert, I think I recognize the spot where that photo was taken! I walked by it daily in my first few years. I was BSME'03 and MSME'07. Did you perhaps have a carbon bike when you were choosing a forum name?

Originally Posted by stormhammer
Congrats on the car! I almost went up Saturday to look at it! One locally has popped up though ( non-m sport ) and I couldn't do without heated seats LOL
stormhammer, good call on the heated seats! I held out for one with heated sport seats and the M-Sport package with the anthracite headliner. The seats are worth their weight in gold, and I just love the dark headliner. At first, I thought it would be a hard combination to find, but a near clone of my car just popped up in Boulder, and now I'm way too tempted to buy it its slightly younger twin
Old 02-08-2016, 07:01 PM
New Members

My Ride: Miata Starion Forester

Originally Posted by GTYellowJacket
Robert, I think I recognize the spot where that photo was taken! I walked by it daily in my first few years. I was BSME'03 and MSME'07. Did you perhaps have a carbon bike when you were choosing a forum name?

stormhammer, good call on the heated seats! I held out for one with heated sport seats and the M-Sport package with the anthracite headliner. The seats are worth their weight in gold, and I just love the dark headliner. At first, I thought it would be a hard combination to find, but a near clone of my car just popped up in Boulder, and now I'm way too tempted to buy it its slightly younger twin
The white 6MT?
Old 02-08-2016, 07:13 PM
New Members

My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI
Engine: N54
Default oh, really?!

Originally Posted by stormhammer
The white 6MT?
Unfortunately not... I sold my 6MT Porsche due to back problems, so my wagon search wasn't constrained by finding a manual. My wagon is now faster than I ever made the Porsche, and it puts a giant grin on my face every time I go WOT in Sport mode, but if there really is a white 6MT for sale right now, I wonder if the clutch would count as physical therapy?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by GTYellowJacket

It is actually the back of the building but yes, if you ever walk up towards Junior's from freshman hill or up to the library area from Peter's deck then you walk right by it. Ive been in this building now for 6 or 7 years now.

As for Trek OCLV's, um....yeah....I have 2 road bikes and 2 mtb's made with OCLV...and that is down from when I had 3 of each.

-r
Old 02-09-2016, 02:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ericono
That is cool. As rare as these things seem to be with the M-Sport package, I'm not totally surprised. By chance I noticed that the ad for the car I purchased was only on the market for 5 days by the time I put my deposit down, I must have contacted the guy the day he posted it or the next day. I went to test drive it and look it over last Thurs. (Feb. 4th). After doing so, I left a deposit while I went back to get things squared away on financing. After I put my deposit down, the seller mentioned that he had been talking with at least one other guy. I wasn't sure if that was a sales tactic or not, but I wouldn't have been surprised. Just glad I jumped on it.

I drove her into work today and met up with a buddy for lunch and gave him a ride. He just kept smiling and laughing and couldn't get over the condition of the car. Little by little figuring out the details on this thing. I noticed the lights turning as I turned the steering wheel before the sun came up. I also noticed that if you touch the preset buttons, but don't push them in, they will tell you which station the preset is currently set for. I was also able to figure out which version of the nav. maps I have ('09).

Anyway, still enjoying it!

Thanks all for the kinds words.

Eric
Eric,

I too had a deposit on my wagon within hours of it posting! What's crazy is I had a beautiful 07 back in 2010....it was monaco blue with auburn leather interior. I hardly drove it even though it was supposed to be the daily drive replacement to my trusty 01 Outback....kept it in the garage and babied it for two years and barely put 10Kmi on it. Then out of pure stupidity I sold it and got my wife a 08 hard top convertible 328. Well, it was not long before I started looking for another wagon. It took me over a year and a half till my BSM/Auburn wagon popped up....in Albuquerque! I saw it show up as newly listed late in the evening...I called the dealer first thing the next day and put a deposit on it site unseen. Although there were no photos yet, the carfax showed it was a one owner car, local to Albuquerque, bought and traded back to the same BMW dealer, and for 7 year old car it only had 30Kmi on it. I worked out the full deal, trade-in and all, and headed west with my 17 year old son in my 09 Outback. It was an awesome road trip and made for great bonding time with my boy.

BTW....the headlights only look around turns in Auto mode....if you turn the lights on by turning the knob clockwise, they don't look around corners (not sure if they self level either). I am sure your CiC interface is much more elegant in functionality than my CCC version.

-r
Old 02-09-2016, 05:35 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive

Originally Posted by ericono
That is cool. As rare as these things seem to be with the M-Sport package, I'm not totally surprised. By chance I noticed that the ad for the car I purchased was only on the market for 5 days by the time I put my deposit down, I must have contacted the guy the day he posted it or the next day. I went to test drive it and look it over last Thurs. (Feb. 4th). After doing so, I left a deposit while I went back to get things squared away on financing. After I put my deposit down, the seller mentioned that he had been talking with at least one other guy. I wasn't sure if that was a sales tactic or not, but I wouldn't have been surprised. Just glad I jumped on it.

I drove her into work today and met up with a buddy for lunch and gave him a ride. He just kept smiling and laughing and couldn't get over the condition of the car. Little by little figuring out the details on this thing. I noticed the lights turning as I turned the steering wheel before the sun came up. I also noticed that if you touch the preset buttons, but don't push them in, they will tell you which station the preset is currently set for. I was also able to figure out which version of the nav. maps I have ('09).

Anyway, still enjoying it!

Thanks all for the kinds words.

Eric
Oh yes, I remember the first few days, discovering all the same features. Have you discovered that the presets will store more than the radio station? I use #6 for my treble/bass adjustment. Have you noticed the cornering lights, there are two ways in which they can be activated. One of the more confusing things, to me, was learning how to operate the A/C as there are two ways to control temperature, the dials on the A/C plus the iDrive control, but still fun.

You can update your navigation version for a low cost, there's a guy in bimmerfest that does that. Send me a PM if you want his contact.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:49 AM
New Members

My Ride: e30
Model Year: 2008

Congrats on the wagon. That looks like a bigger brother wagon to my e46 touring.

Of course with my luck, the wagon you bought popped up right after I bought my e61 and after I had given up on the factory Mtech search. As luck would also have it, another unicorn with practically all options also popped up after I bought mine as well. Don't think I'll ever see another car with that option pack anytime soon.

As for updated Nav maps, go here: All BMWs 2016 Navigation Map Updates - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Last edited by Alpine003; 02-09-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Alpine003
Congrats on the wagon. That looks like a bigger brother wagon to my e46 touring.

Of course with my luck, the wagon you bought popped up right after I bought my e61 and after I had given up on the factory Mtech search. As luck would also have it, another unicorn with practically all options also popped up after I bought mine as well. Don't think I'll ever see another car with that option pack anytime soon.

As for updated Nav maps, go here: All BMWs 2016 Navigation Map Updates - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
Dang! I love that e46 wagon...did you import a european spec wagon or make that into something like a zhp wagon?

-r
Old 02-09-2016, 12:27 PM
New Members

My Ride: 1985 M635, 2010 e61
Model Year: 1985

Thanks for all the comments and tips! Keep'em coming.

Yeah, that e46 is nice! What color is it? I agree it does look like a little brother.

Thanks for the tips on the nav updates. I'll look into that.

How do I get the extra functionality out of the preset buttons you are talking about?

Any other hidden features you can tell me about is much appreciated.

Take care,

Eric

Quick Reply: new (to me) e61 M-Sport