E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

My new Target

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After my bad experience at a local "broker", I've limited my car search to actual BMW dealers only. I found one across the country, in Atlanta. Naturally, it has some issues. I don't know if any are necessarily deal breakers, the car still has 8 months of factory warranty left.

1. Branded Title (Lemon/Buyback) on CARFAX: CARFAX Link
2. Service History:
Name:  taZqW.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  112.1 KB
3. Rear Wiper not seated flat:
Name:  00Hrt.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  526.7 KB

At first I thought the buyback was related to the fuel pump, but after reviewing the carfax and service history together, I'm not sure. The buyback occurred between 1,706 miles and 2,082 miles per carfax. Fuel pump issue doesn't show up until 21,000 miles. Between 1,700 miles and 2,600 miles there was a bunch of work done, see the service history.

Does anyone have experience with these items between 1,700 and 2,600 miles? My hope is that they will not surface again.

Do the last few entries look normal for issues with the fuel pump and injectors? The "fuel lines/connections in engine compartment (fixed to body) leaking" seems out of the ordinary to me, but maybe it's common?

I reviewed posts on this forum about the rear wiper, seems like a easy fix for the dealer under warranty (I hope?)

If these issues are nothing to worry about, I will negotiate a deal and have it shipped to me, contingent on a third party PPI.

Also, if anyone has experience buying and shipping from out of state, I could use some advice. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Hi, while I can't help you with the service history, unless you're getting a deal of a lifetime, why buy a lemon car? I avoided them, and one came up when I was looking. I don't want that on title when I go to sell the car, not the least of which would be me wondering what the issues were in the first place. It's like a car that's been badly damaged, and fixed, and looks just fine today. I (and most others I think - hence why it needs to be declared) would avoid those cars.

What are your criteria for picking a car? You've not said that yet. When I search on Autotrader for CERTIFIED BMW's (seeing you want one with a warranty, so this way you have an extended warranty even, past the OEM one), across the US, which now seems you're willing to do (as opposed to a local only car), 72 show up! There's one within 300 miles it says. If you go just with used ones, I'm sure a bunch more with the OEM warranty will show up.

So out of all those, why narrow down the results to a lemon???

PS I shouldn't say this, but I saw a Certified 2008 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG Wagon with only 14,000 miles on it for $70k just down the road from you in Lynnwood! That's my next car, if I ever find a nice used one a few years down the road, and if the new 5 wagon doesn't come our way...
Old 09-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Members

Haha good point about the lemon, trying to sell with that on the title would be a challenge. It wouldn't be a big deal for my peace of mind if it was related to the fuel system, as I've seen BMW buybacks on a few used cars out there which were related to the fuel system (As BMW kept replacing the fuel pumps, I'm sure people just got fed up and returned the car).

I suppose I should clarify. I'm looking for a 535xi with the sport package (I like the seats, the fat steering wheel, and the shadowline trim), and my wife has vetoed the gunmetal gray colors. So that leaves me with white, black, silver, and blue, with the sport package. These are a little harder to come by.

Ideally I'd get a car that is still under the factory warranty so I could have a few months of worry free driving and take care of any problems that come up. Outside of the factory warranty, I want something that covers the electronics and the turbos (which the CPO does not cover). I've heard good things about the Route 66 warranty available when financing through credit unions ($1,875, no deductible, covers most everything except wear/maintenance). I think that unless I hear a bad story about Route 66, I will go that route with whichever car I buy.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Members

Is this car an m-sport? Although it has the shadowline trim, the rear bumper isn't an M-Sport, its the SE.

Not sure if you already know this, its just your previous post mentions you're after the m-sport.

Stu
Old 09-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Members

I could be wrong, but in the US, the "sport package" doesn't include the cool bumpers and side skirts for the 535xiT's. I think they were a dealer option that barely anyone went for. The US sport package just gives the 20-way adjustable seats, shadowline window trim, and a fat steering wheel. Edit: I don't think the M-sport package was available on US 535xiT's.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Contributors

Are you also searching BMWUSA.COM for a CPO xi touring?

BTW, Autotrader markets the hell out of CERTIFIED ... their claims = Carfax "certified" ... IT'S NOT CPO!!!

Before buying this specific car cross-country I"d have an independent evaluation by a competent and insured BMW Tech and a FULL disclosure from BMWNA why the car was a buy-back/lemon. Last point .. the car looks nice but beauty is skin deep and the cost to fix these puppies outside of warranty requires deep wallets. If the BMW dealer will CPO it that might give you some comfort. If not, I'd look closer to home ... dealing with any issues could be a really painful experience.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

Only for the 2010 model was there the M Sport Package available, and yes, I'm guessing very few people went for it.

Otherwise, the regular sport package was there in other years (not sure how far back), as well as in 2010. If you're really after the Comfort Seats, I assume you know that they were a stand alone option too? The car before mine was configured that way. No sport packages, but with Comfort Seats. Other than the seats, the other stuff you could probably add on after, if you're really keen, and even the shadowline trim probably, though it might be a PITA to do. Quite a few people have covered their chrome surrounds with vinyl and it's come out quite well, without complaints later on from what I've read too, so that's an easy mod.

Here's the 2010 spec sheet. I have the 2009 brochure at home I believe, which would be closer to previous years. You can search for the PDF brochures on the net too, I can't post it up here, as it's 7 MB. If you PM me your email, I'll email it to you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 09-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

Pass.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
BTW, Autotrader markets the hell out of CERTIFIED ... their claims = Carfax "certified" ... IT'S NOT CPO!!!
Really? On their site (go to Find Cars for Sale), they said when you pick Certified that:

"A certified pre-owned car has passed a strict inspection by the original manufacturer and is backed by an extended warranty."

Sounds pretty darn close to what a manufacturer would call CPO... Nothing about it being Carfax certified.

When I did a search again for Certified cars, almost all the listings were from BMW dealers, and quite a few of them actually said "BMW Certified" or "Certified Pre-Owned 6YR/100k" in their descriptions.

Where are you getting your info from?

My new Target-autotrader.jpg
Old 09-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Where are you getting your info from?
You are quite correct. He was speaking a little less clearly. It is very obvious when a car is being sold as a true "CPO". This is normally by a franchise dealer of the brand.

However, a few notes. BMW cpo is transferable, right? I know Audi cpo is NOT transferable therefor making it only a thing that an Audi dealer can offer.

Quick Reply: My new Target