E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Is the lower part of M package rear bumper same as regular ones?

Old 09-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Thinking of getting a hitch installed (Curt 1 1/4") and they say no drilling or cutting of bumper is required. I assume their info is for the regular rear bumpers. Can anyone confirm if the M package bumper in the rear for the 2010 model is the same as the regular bumper?

Instructions: http://sitepro12.sitepro.com/masterl...111940_INS.pdf

This is what the regular bumper looks like from a member who had a 2" custom hitch installed (Jwest), and I want to avoid cutting the lower piece if possible:

Old 09-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

What do you mean by "lower part" ? If you mean height from ground, I think it's practically identical. If you mean the shape, then no, it's not like ours at all. Our standard edge flares out like the front lip on the front bumper lower when there is a "splitter" but the M rear, and M-sport, both pretty much curve/wrap under. You've seen them on here right? I've seen them in town too.

Aftermarket hitches that will sit below our bumper cover, will also sit below the M version because it just all mounts below.

Come on, cut that damn bumper cover
Old 09-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

The oem mtech bumper comes with a couple diffuser options. Look here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...83&hg=51&fg=15

#6 has 2 options.. I do believe I have the diffuser w/ the hitch opening in the basement..
Old 09-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

I looked at my bumper (I posted from work) and yeah, totally obvious - they are very different. What I was interested in, as you guessed, was whether the lower edge of it would be the same spot as the regular bumper's. My bumper doesn't have the hitch cutout from what I could see. I measured mine, and it was exactly 8" off the ground, with the car unloaded and off. It does seem to end around the same spot, as based on my pic, it's around the halfway mark on the exhaust pipes.

But if it curves in, compared to the regular bumper, I wonder if it might interfere with some part of the hitch receiver, though hopefully if any cutting's needed, it would be on the inside edge, not noticeable unless you look from under.

Here's a pic of my rear bumper.

Is the lower part of M package rear bumper same as regular ones?-my-m-bumper.jpg

Here's a Curt hitch installed.

Is the lower part of M package rear bumper same as regular ones?-curt-hitch.jpg

The hitch instructions for it say that the rear air dam / plastic pan that's on the passenger side should be taken off and returned to the customer. I've attached pics of it.

Is the lower part of M package rear bumper same as regular ones?-plastic-air-dam-rear.jpg

Is the lower part of M package rear bumper same as regular ones?-plastic-air-dam-rear-zoom.jpg
Anyone have any ideas as to the purpose of it, and if it would be bad to leave it off? I saw a post from someone with this hitch who said it took him a while to cut it up and make it fit with the hitch, and I'm wondering if it's worth doing it or not.

Jwest, from your picture above, it looks like they managed to leave that on somehow with your custom hitch? Did they cut it up at all?

PS Check your PM please.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

I don't think mine is cut but because my hitch was custom built, they retained all the good parts and have that tidy receiver cut out all fitting up high so my ground clearance is not compromised.