E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Load area cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530dAT

I've recently discovered that it's not every time that the load area cover will raise when the tailgate is opened. Anyone who has experienced this and know the reason?
Old 08-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 Sport: Space Grey/Blk, Cold Weather Pkg., Nav

I have had my Touring in to the dealer with this complaint multiple times. It is behaving badly again, and I am planning on revisiting the issue with the SA.

The issue is intermittent. I can tell that the release latches activate, but one side (I think) does not fully release the cover knob. By inserting a finger over the latch, the cover will release. Most often, the cover operates normally following this "intervention".

I have thought, at times, that the system gets "out of sync", because removing the cover, closing the door, opening the door, replacing the cover and closing the door seems to resolve the malfunction.

No matter the cause or the resolution, this fault will return sooner or later.

Please post any further information or experience in the hope that we can identify the root cause and a permanent solution.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530dAT

Originally Posted by rubencr' post='655764' date='Aug 27 2008, 11:34 PM
I have had my Touring in to the dealer with this complaint multiple times. It is behaving badly again, and I am planning on revisiting the issue with the SA.

The issue is intermittent. I can tell that the release latches activate, but one side (I think) does not fully release the cover knob. By inserting a finger over the latch, the cover will release. Most often, the cover operates normally following this "intervention".

I have thought, at times, that the system gets "out of sync", because removing the cover, closing the door, opening the door, replacing the cover and closing the door seems to resolve the malfunction.

No matter the cause or the resolution, this fault will return sooner or later.

Please post any further information or experience in the hope that we can identify the root cause and a permanent solution.
Thanks for the information. I will discuss it with my BMW dealer and post any progress to identify the root cause.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:27 PM
New Members

My Ride: 08 535xi Wagon

Originally Posted by BAK530dat
Thanks for the information. I will discuss it with my BMW dealer and post any progress to identify the root cause.
I'm starting to have this problem as well. Obviously I'm not covered under BMW warranty anymore. How can I go about troubleshooting this?
Old 01-28-2015, 02:23 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61

I've got this too but only seems to happen when the cover hasn't moved for a while, I.e first thing in the morning. When I open the glass to put the kids school bags in the cover stays put even though I can hear the latches moving. If I push it with my hand the cover will roll up.

I've tried a few things to fix this including replacing the rod that runs though the end and has the rollers attached, as well as making sure the cover is clean. Nothing has really worked and I'm just living with it for now. Let us know if you find a solution.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

There's some stuff about the load cover in this repair manual, in terms of how it works, the modules that control it, etc. in case it's of help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Repair manual 5er-e60.pdf (1.20 MB, 413 views)