E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Keys(remotes)+FM radio not working anymore!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Glad you got it sorted out...

Webasto heaters are great, aren't they?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525D MSport 03/2005

I got the spoiler off and took apart the two left hinges. I'd only time to investigate the one nearer the middle of the car but found that what I believe is the return line for the Rear Window Heater element was broken. The wire had frayed and come apart what looked like over time. I'd say as it got thinner and thinner the wire would have increased resistance and heated up. This explains why the water pipe had both a hole in it at the same point of the wire break and why the wire had the ribbed imprint of the water pipe in it for several inches.
Keys(remotes)+FM radio not working anymore!!-heater-wire.jpg

I guess the person designing it wouldn't have considered this failure but mixing the water line and the rest of the electrical lines doesn't seem a good idea.

Anyhow the heater now works :-)

I cannot explain why the FM reception has improved though (still not at full strength). The remote central locking (inc alarm remote) still doesn't work. I'm guessing it's the wires on the right hand hinges as there are about 6 wires going into the Right Hand side of the Diversity Module. I'll have to investigate that some other day. I'll keep you upto date.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Members

My Ride: -06 BMW 525DAT M-Tech, Comfort seats, Navi Pro, Hi-Fi, Panoramic roof, Webasto remote ctrl heater

Colm245- If your remote doesn't work take a look inside the diversity module. You migt find the problem in there!
Old 03-02-2010, 01:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 525D MSport 03/2005

Yep the problem involved the diversity module but it was in the wiring leading upto the module which goes through the hinge on the right hand side (one closest to car middle). A White and Red stripe wire had snapped in the loom near where it goes through a rubber grommet just above the rear right roof speaker. This is in line with what other folks have found with tail gate problems and rear lights etc not working. I also fixed the rear window heater the weekend before as there was a similar breakage (only a very heavy gauge wire) in one of the left hand side hinge looms.

I'm guessing that the White and Red stripe wire provided power up to the Diversity module as it went in the connector on it's right hand side along with 3 or 4 other signals. With the wire lengthened and joined the Remote now works nicely all the time. Also since I fixed the return wire for the back window heater the FM reception has improved and the back window heater now works.

I've just the passenger seat sensor and self leveling suspension problems to sort now and that'll be me :-)
Old 03-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Members

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 08 BMW 520D TOURING ..... THE REMOTE CONTROL WOULD NOT WORK UNDER ANY CONDITIONS AND THEN A FEW DAYS LATER IT WORKED THEN IT FAILED AGAIN
THE RADIO LOST ALL THE PRESETS .... THE TWO PROBLEMS IN MY CASE WERE FIXED BY GENTLY TAPING THE FUSE CLUSTER AT REAR RIGHT SIDE BOOT ,,,SOUNDS INCREDIBLE IN A NEARLY NEW CAR BUT I PUT IT DOWN TO ONE OF THE FUSE BLADES NOT MAKING GOOD CONTACT ....
Old 03-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61 535d

Originally Posted by jmac64
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 08 BMW 520D TOURING ..... THE REMOTE CONTROL WOULD NOT WORK UNDER ANY CONDITIONS AND THEN A FEW DAYS LATER IT WORKED THEN IT FAILED AGAIN
THE RADIO LOST ALL THE PRESETS .... THE TWO PROBLEMS IN MY CASE WERE FIXED BY GENTLY TAPING THE FUSE CLUSTER AT REAR RIGHT SIDE BOOT ,,,SOUNDS INCREDIBLE IN A NEARLY NEW CAR BUT I PUT IT DOWN TO ONE OF THE FUSE BLADES NOT MAKING GOOD CONTACT ....
Welcome to the forums. One thing though. Please, there is no need to shout with CAPS..
The following users liked this post:
Nicoleann (12-21-2021)
Old 08-10-2010, 02:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by stiano6@hotmail.com
Just removed the rear spoiler and opened the cover which is suppose to protect the diversity module from water. YEAH RIGHT!Full of water and burned connections. So now i have at least found one possible reason to the comms failure. Really nice design for a outdoor electronic module must say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!&&%%"/

Anyone know if this diversity module is covered by BMW even if the 2 year warranty is out? And the wirebreaks, if i find that as well??

Will check for wire breaks as well tomorrow, and have the print fixed/replace the module. Hopefully this print is the only fault and caused only by moisture/water.
Will modify the lid and seal with an extra gasket and clips so this never happens again.

Also noticed that it was a 860-something mhz module. Thought this was for US models with comfort access? Mine is European without comfort access. Shouldn't it be 440-something mhz then?
Bl**dy hell... didn't know it could be that bad. I wonder if someone within BMW have second thoughts about this design? I mean, this is so badly constructed that I am lost for words. :thumbsdown:
Old 10-31-2010, 11:46 PM
New Members

Replaced ALL wires mentioned earlier in this thread. My original problems were tailgate hatch not working, bluetooth not working and keys(remote) not working.
After the replacement og wires, the bluetooth is working, hatc and keys still not working and the radio is not finding radiostations.

I'm now guessing its the diversity modul thay holds the problem, but it has no visible defekts(burned/watered).

Any other ideas??
Old 11-01-2010, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by GTER
Replaced ALL wires mentioned earlier in this thread. My original problems were tailgate hatch not working, bluetooth not working and keys(remote) not working.
After the replacement og wires, the bluetooth is working, hatc and keys still not working and the radio is not finding radiostations.

I'm now guessing its the diversity modul thay holds the problem, but it has no visible defekts(burned/watered).

Any other ideas??
Check out the following post and take a look at the .pdf it contains:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/482...ost__p__509866

The .pdf shows which lines on the rear window are used for AM/FM, remote controls services, etc. You may want to carefully inspect the lines to see if any have a break where there shouldn't be (keep in mind that not all wires intersect each other, etc.)
Old 11-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

Is seems many of us has had this problem at one point or another!

Got to love the wonderful design of the BMW engineers on this one!!!

Quick Reply: Keys(remotes)+FM radio not working anymore!!