E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Keys(remotes)+FM radio not working anymore!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -06 BMW 525DAT M-Tech, Comfort seats, Navi Pro, Hi-Fi, Panoramic roof, Webasto remote ctrl heater

Anyone had problems with this before? Have a -06 525DAT Touring. One day both keys(remotes)+ webasto remotecontrol + FM radio stopped working! Meaning that all comunication with the car including the radio reception stopped working at the same time!(Navigation still works, but that use the "shark-fin").
Could this be due to a failure in the Diversity Antenna Amplifier? Does this thing handle both remote signals and FM?
Does anyone know were this is located on a E61 Touring??

Would be thankful for any help
Old 01-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E61 530xi

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

I had the same problem. I found several broken wires in the rear lift gate harness. The location of the break was in the hinge access hole. Once you lift the gate to full open you'll see a plastic cover around the hinge. The break was in behind it.

Good Luck!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Members

My Ride: -06 BMW 525DAT M-Tech, Comfort seats, Navi Pro, Hi-Fi, Panoramic roof, Webasto remote ctrl heater

Thanks Nels,

Checked the fuses today, everything ok. Will check out the wires tomorrow and post my findings. Found some similar topics on this forum(which btw is GREAT), but seems like their problem was range. Mine just stopped working weeks ago and now i'm getting tired off using the key inside the tag-thing, and not being able to switch on the webasto heater from my bed

1 more thing;Do you know why the orange "P" light by the shift knob never go off. I've locked the car and waited to see when it turns off, but it doesn't??

Thanks
Old 01-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61 535d

I've locked the car and waited to see when it turns off, but it doesn't??
I think it won't turn off as long as the car detects the key near it. The key keeps the car awake and it cannot go to sleep mode. Please feel free to correct me if I'm in the woods with this??
Old 01-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Members

That's probably right Kuul,if my car had worked as it suppose to, but how can the car detect the key if it's not able to receive any signals from it.(lock, unlock-doors, open hatch etc)
Old 01-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61 535d

but how can the car detect the key if it's not able to receive any signals from it
Good point. I'll have to test this myself also. This morning I joined the club... my remote also stopped working... Nice!
Old 01-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 525D MSport 03/2005

My 525D E61 2005 (130K Miles) has been developing such problems too. About 3 or 4 months ago FM reception went and more recently the remote locking/alarm isn't working. I was reading that there are copper contacts between the Diversity module and the glass where the FM and alarm antennas are. I'm guessing that the contacts have corodded and went open circuit, might just need some cleaning or the other problem may be related to the wiring getting knackered in the hinge mechanism.

The hinge problem is detailed in these posts,

https://5series.net/forums/topic/727...t/page__st__30

https://5series.net/forums/topic/928...&#entry1097757

Also during the cold weather my rear window wiper squirter seems to have sprung a leak up under the rear spoiler. There's a join in the washer pipe up near the Diversity module around the 3rd brake light. I'm assuming that now I've pumped a fair bit of water in around the Diversity Module which may need to be replaced even if it was just the contacts to begin with.

It'll be a few weeks before I can get a good look at this wiring and the module but I'll post up if I find anything.

In the meantime can anyone confirm that the Antenna Diversity module handles the alarm signals and does it send the info down the mini-coaxial wire to the i-Drive or does it send it down along the can bus from this module under the rear spoiler?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Originally Posted by colm245
My 525D E61 2005 (130K Miles) has been developing such problems too. About 3 or 4 months ago FM reception went and more recently the remote locking/alarm isn't working. I was reading that there are copper contacts between the Diversity module and the glass where the FM and alarm antennas are. I'm guessing that the contacts have corodded and went open circuit, might just need some cleaning or the other problem may be related to the wiring getting knackered in the hinge mechanism.

The hinge problem is detailed in these posts,

https://5series.net/forums/topic/727...t/page__st__30

https://5series.net/forums/topic/928...&#entry1097757

Also during the cold weather my rear window wiper squirter seems to have sprung a leak up under the rear spoiler. There's a join in the washer pipe up near the Diversity module around the 3rd brake light. I'm assuming that now I've pumped a fair bit of water in around the Diversity Module which may need to be replaced even if it was just the contacts to begin with.

It'll be a few weeks before I can get a good look at this wiring and the module but I'll post up if I find anything.

In the meantime can anyone confirm that the Antenna Diversity module handles the alarm signals and does it send the info down the mini-coaxial wire to the i-Drive or does it send it down along the can bus from this module under the rear spoiler?
The diversity module doesn't need to be connected to the external antennae for the keyfob to work (at v short range) - so, if you hold the keyfob over the rear spoiler and locks wont open, the next port of call is the wiring as per your links - specifically a white and light blue wire running through the glass hatch hinge loom into the Diversity module on the RHS as you look at the back of the car. I know this because my wire broke so I stripped both ends of the broken wire, twisted them together then plugged the connector into the Diversity module whilst the module was connected to no other inputs/outputs (and it was sat on the toolbox in my boot !), pressed the keyfob and doors locked.

My washer pipe came off once, was off for a fair while before re-attaching and didn't harm the module (which is in a 'tupperware' type lidded tray)
Old 01-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Members

Just removed the rear spoiler and opened the cover which is suppose to protect the diversity module from water. YEAH RIGHT!Full of water and burned connections. So now i have at least found one possible reason to the comms failure. Really nice design for a outdoor electronic module must say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!&&%%"/

Anyone know if this diversity module is covered by BMW even if the 2 year warranty is out? And the wirebreaks, if i find that as well??

Will check for wire breaks as well tomorrow, and have the print fixed/replace the module. Hopefully this print is the only fault and caused only by moisture/water.
Will modify the lid and seal with an extra gasket and clips so this never happens again.

Also noticed that it was a 860-something mhz module. Thought this was for US models with comfort access? Mine is European without comfort access. Shouldn't it be 440-something mhz then?
Attached Thumbnails Keys(remotes)+FM radio not working anymore!!-img_0233.jpg   Keys(remotes)+FM radio not working anymore!!-img_0234.jpg   Keys(remotes)+FM radio not working anymore!!-img_0237.jpg   Keys(remotes)+FM radio not working anymore!!-img_0241.jpg   Keys(remotes)+FM radio not working anymore!!-img_0240.jpg  

Old 02-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Members

FIXED!!!

Finally received the new Diversity Antenna Amplifier today. Installed it, and everything works. Just for "fun" i tried to fix the damaged one, as i have a electronics workstation available with oscilloscope, solder equip and powersupply, but was only able to get the FM part to work again, not the remotes!
When i installed the new module i "modified" the plastic box it's in and the new module by making another o-ring and greasing up EVERYTHING with lots of special grease(water repellant whitch you can use on printboards too). Also opened the new module and put grease on the connectors/printboard, incase there is moisture/water incress it will not short circuit the printboard.

During the install i also opened the cable covers and removed the tape on the cables going through the hinge. Can confirm that this is another weak point on the E61,in addition to the placement of the Diversity Module. Didn't find any cable breaks but one cable with very damaged isolation(for the rear window heater). Removed the right side speaker and pulled the cables inn so i could fix it.

So now i can sleep well knowing that i can wake up and start my webasto heater from my bed tomorrow

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Quick Reply: Keys(remotes)+FM radio not working anymore!!