E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Island Road E61 535xi M5 Clone Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:17 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535XiT
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Island Road
Mike,

On full lock there is slight rubbing. I suspect this is only because I did not use the M5 liners though and I stretched mine. The liners might allow more room. Also I need to set up my camber correctly that is going to be done in time. Also note that I have M5 hubs in the rear so this changed my offset by 1 inch to allow for M5 BBK and also wide wheels in the rear. With M5 front fenders this also allowed 10mm more of spacing in the front for wider wheels. Unless you have the same setup my wheel specs are are going to be to aggressive, I would take some measurements prior to ordering tires and wheels.

As for the lowering I talked with ISC suspension company conveniently located in NH as well and they are using my car to make a coilover kit for the E61. So I am lowering it but also improving on the performance of handling.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Dan
Thanks, Dan! Can't wait to see when it's all done.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Engine: N54

Ya its 4 wheeling right now. Should be going into the shop in a week for the coilovers to be test fitted. Right now its the winter so not a huge deal considering all the snow here.

I meant SAT Flash wedge just did it for me so, I am going to be editing that. We cant't get the aplina flash unfortunately so SAT is the best there is.

Are you still considering the 6 MT swap, any details on this?

Gotcha, I only knew of the SAT working so when I heard of a different transmission flash my ears perked up. I wonder if that is something these tuners can do and offer as a backend flash, that would be sweet.

I am still looking into it casually, I have some calls into shops for quotes to get an idea on my options. I am working to pulling together a parts list. A shop on the East Cost did the swap but wasn't willing to help out with my collection of information, they were kind of arrogant douches about it too. I guess they plan on keeping that info private so they can rake in all the business there is to be had with transmission swaps on AWD E60s. lol

At any rate I will get the parts list together, find a shop capable with reasonable pricing, and then wait until I find a good deal on a used transmission, most on eBay are $1,000-$1,800 with condition and mileage varying from 60-130k, There was a unit in LA with 40k on it and the owner was asking $700, unfortunately it was for a RWD car. Hopefully I can find a deal similar to that.

I am eager to get the swap done but I want to do it right and also prefer not to throw myself to the wolfs financially so I need to find good deals on everything which dictates I take my time.

Evan
Old 02-21-2015, 09:50 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: 535xi Wagon
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Gotcha, I only knew of the SAT working so when I heard of a different transmission flash my ears perked up. I wonder if that is something these tuners can do and offer as a backend flash, that would be sweet.

I am still looking into it casually, I have some calls into shops for quotes to get an idea on my options. I am working to pulling together a parts list. A shop on the East Cost did the swap but wasn't willing to help out with my collection of information, they were kind of arrogant douches about it too. I guess they plan on keeping that info private so they can rake in all the business there is to be had with transmission swaps on AWD E60s. lol

At any rate I will get the parts list together, find a shop capable with reasonable pricing, and then wait until I find a good deal on a used transmission, most on eBay are $1,000-$1,800 with condition and mileage varying from 60-130k, There was a unit in LA with 40k on it and the owner was asking $700, unfortunately it was for a RWD car. Hopefully I can find a deal similar to that.

I am eager to get the swap done but I want to do it right and also prefer not to throw myself to the wolfs financially so I need to find good deals on everything which dictates I take my time.

Evan
I believe we can have the Alpina Trans Flash but what is needed for that would be a different control module along with valve body or just replacing the transmission from a 335xi.

I have been searching around other forums and there are a few DIY threads being made about the process. Of course this is for a 335i but a lot of things are going to apply. Let me know about the information that you gather, I have been also searching used transmissions as well and there are some deals to be had. More then likely its not going to be untill next winter for me as I already have a huge list of things to finish. DO you have a link to your projector mods with your lights? I will be taking mine apart to throw some rings in there and also remove the yellow leds.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

I believe we can have the Alpina Trans Flash but what is needed for that would be a different control module along with valve body or just replacing the transmission from a 335xi.

I have been searching around other forums and there are a few DIY threads being made about the process. Of course this is for a 335i but a lot of things are going to apply. Let me know about the information that you gather, I have been also searching used transmissions as well and there are some deals to be had. More then likely its not going to be untill next winter for me as I already have a huge list of things to finish. DO you have a link to your projector mods with your lights? I will be taking mine apart to throw some rings in there and also remove the yellow leds.
Here is some info on my retrofit: Projector Retrofit #2: BMW E61 Sportwagen. Quad: modded oem + MH1, Morimoto DSP, Custom Orion V2

Evan
Old 02-24-2015, 04:00 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Impressive build! Any extra piping and/or couplers needed to make the VRSF intercooler fit?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:39 AM
New Members

My Ride: Car with options

love it!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:06 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E70 X5M
Model Year: 2011

Amazing transformation! Cannot wait till I get my wagen
Old 03-04-2015, 07:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by biz77
Impressive build! Any extra piping and/or couplers needed to make the VRSF intercooler fit?
I posted a DIY on N54Tech, right up your alley...
How To: Fit a 7" VRSF Intercooler to your E6X N54 chassis - N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion

Evan
Old 03-17-2015, 04:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5

Nice work IR, really like the look of the IC on the M5 front. You're not far down the road from me, wouldn't mind checking out your car some time. I need to be convinced I can live with parting mine.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:00 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: 535xi Wagon
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by biz77
Thanks! ucsbwsr provided a link that i followed also. Although I think there was an extra pipe I ordered I cant remember but that should be a great start and guide to follow.

Originally Posted by rathersmart
love it!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by alexbaldy
Amazing transformation! Cannot wait till I get my wagen
I am sure you will enjoy it. The modding buy is very addictive for sure!

Helped a ton.

Originally Posted by jcolley
Nice work IR, really like the look of the IC on the M5 front. You're not far down the road from me, wouldn't mind checking out your car some time. I need to be convinced I can live with parting mine.
I am always between Boston and NH, and some meets around NE. The 535xi stays in NH the 335i in boston def down to meet up! You should try and make it to Bimmer Fest East.

I will be updating this thread shortly as there are going to be some nice upgrades coming up but don't want to give anything away.

Quick Reply: Island Road E61 535xi M5 Clone Wagon