E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Break-In Service. Opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Silver Grey 530xiT (2009 Deep Sea Blue 535xiT ordered for 12/8 ED)
Thumbs up

Hi All,

I'm currently in a philisophical debate with myself over whether it is worth having BMW perform an engine oil change, tranny fluid change, and differential fluid change now that my E61 has passed through 1200 miles to get any "bits" out of the fluids. This not being on the scheduled maintanance list, I'm going to have to pay for it myself and I'm guessing based on time/labor it's going to be relatively expensive. I'm not sure if I'm throwing money at a solution looking for a problem, or this is a good investment towards the future and is going to save me problems down the road. It's my first BMW, and I want to keep it for many, many trouble free years/miles to come. My last two cars were closing in on 200K miles when I decided to put them out to pasture. One had a tranny failure at 70k and the other had no problems at all.

What are your thoughts and ideas on performing a break-in service at 1200-1500 miles? Is this good preventive maintanance, or just throwing money away? Those of you who did have this done, what is the ballpark cost for such service?

I'm interested in any thoughts, comments, and ideas from the collective knowledge of the Forum.

Thanks,
RCNet
Old 02-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

I didn't have any changed before the first service and that was made at 29000km. Accodring to my friend that are BMW serviceman it shuld not be nessesary to replace any of the fluids other than scedeuled and this was his advice as a friend not serviceman.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by Robert J' post='247109' date='Feb 28 2006, 07:56 AM
I didn't have any changed before the first service and that was made at 29000km. Accodring to my friend that are BMW serviceman it shuld not be nessesary to replace any of the fluids other than scedeuled and this was his advice as a friend not serviceman.
same here was not change any fluids, except my drinks and my cupholder is perfect, bulit 07/2005.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:57 AM
Members

I talked to my service manager in depth about fluid changes following break-in. He said that even though he'd be more than happy to do the work and charge me for it, it's just not necessary.

You might think that the extended intervals are just a way for BMW to keep their costs down while continuing to offer free maintenance, however you have to realize that many of these cars are leased and then sold as CPO's with the CPO extended warranty, so a lack of required maintenance would likely come back to haunt them in the form of warranty claims down the road.

Many people will likely disagree, but I say save your money and enjoy your car. I absolutely love mine.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:29 AM
Senior Members

IMO - the extended service intervals in BMW's and other similar vehicles are basically a response to customer dissatisfaction with having to part with their vehicles for 2000mile services within a couple of months of delivery and every 10,000 miles thereafter.

It doesn't benefit BMW dealers (unless you have the service inclusive package) to extend the intervals as I am sure they would love to have lots of extra service income from their customers.

Instead it is for your benefit as a customer.

In terms of your question, unless you are an EXTREMELY low milage driver (like the car has been sitting unused for months on end!) then I can't see what benefit an extra service would bring.

The service interval is adjusted for mileage anyway.

Enjoy your car and spend the money on a nice meal out instead
Old 02-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Members

My thought is that the car will not take any harm in changing the oil too often. I guess the car will not make a complaint about driving 25000km without an oil change. For me, that's a different story, I changed the oil at 11000km just to don't think about it. I'm going to have the car for a many more km and I thoght it would be a cheap insurance to get rid of some initial rub-off.

Previuos break-in rules cannot have been that bad practice. However, from now on I'll keep strictly to the service schedule as stated by the car. Next scheduled service is in another 15000km.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Standards of machining these days mean that 'running in' in the old sense is not necessary.

Combined with new oils, you will find that the parts that do need to bed in (rings etc) will not do so if you change the oils too often and it will end up burning oil. A car salesman I know reckons that cars that are carefully run in are slower than ones 'used enthusiastically' and also use more gas as they havn't loosened up properly. His moto is to put your foot to the floor once every day.

I would stick to the factory intervals for the first one or two changes, and then think about changing more often to preserve it once loosened. I did this with my E39 and will do it with this one also.

I understand that the most important thing for running in is to vary the engine speed and load rather than just doing 1000 miles with the cruise control set.