E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

How to Open Tailgate Window (with no power)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

I had my car broken into in an NCP car park. The thief broke the rear hatch to get in.

I got the glass replaced under the glass policy - £60.

Not that this is in any way relevant .
Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525d manual touring. Beige comfort leather, panoramic sunroof, hifi and blinds option.

I wonder if the glass repair would pick up the 3-hrs of BMW time as they wrestle with the remaining bit of the glass panel still firmly attached to the lock ... Or whether this would then come under the bit of the policy that has me paying the deductible (first £250) ... Screwed whichever way I turn !
Old 05-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

when mine was broken into, whilst trying to clean it up in the car park, I stupidly cut the rubber bonding on both sides of the tailgate glass (all part of the glazing)to stop the sides flapping about on my way home. Of course, all this did was to release the top of the hatch & spoiler to serve as an air brake. This also meant that the securing screws for the spoiler were accessible so if my hatch release wire was damaged, I could well have repaired it without unlocking the hatch first.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:29 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d -05

Any suggestions? Still no luck?
Im in the same sits.
/7
Mike
Old 05-24-2010, 02:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525d manual touring. Beige comfort leather, panoramic sunroof, hifi and blinds option.

Mike,

No luck yet ... I havent had time to go any further .. Still hoping that someone will know which wires to power up (+ and -) probably with a separate battery to get the lock to release .. I havent cut the wires to the release lock yet ... This is not going away, as I can't live without rear wiper in winter (the glass lid isnt so essential.. still, this has to be opened to get to the hinge wires and fix the problem !

Other than that (and the roof that wont come off tilt, and the interior lights that wont go off automatically)its a great car ... Just done 650 miles to Scotland and back at 42.5 MPG, which is not bad for a car of this size). Full beige leather, panoramic roof, comfort seats, upgraded hi-fi, rear kids security pack, window blinds ...a nice spec, bought 3 yrs old at 75,000 miles.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

How much is your insurance deductible?

If it is not too bad then...

Old 06-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by frost015
Mike,

No luck yet ... I havent had time to go any further .. Still hoping that someone will know which wires to power up (+ and -) probably with a separate battery to get the lock to release .. I havent cut the wires to the release lock yet ... This is not going away, as I can't live without rear wiper in winter (the glass lid isnt so essential.. still, this has to be opened to get to the hinge wires and fix the problem !

Other than that (and the roof that wont come off tilt, and the interior lights that wont go off automatically)its a great car ... Just done 650 miles to Scotland and back at 42.5 MPG, which is not bad for a car of this size). Full beige leather, panoramic roof, comfort seats, upgraded hi-fi, rear kids security pack, window blinds ...a nice spec, bought 3 yrs old at 75,000 miles.
I just succeeded opening mine. Briefly put 12V on the brown/red and it will open.

paul
Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nljong17
I just succeeded opening mine. Briefly put 12V on the brown/red and it will open.

paul

HI
Where is that cable? did u cut it ?
Then u took a cable from the battery + and earth?

Regards

Mike
Old 07-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Members

Hi Paul,

Fantastic ! We are getting somewhere ... You dont recall if you put + or - to the red or brown do you or maybe this is not relevent ).. Also (as with last post) did you physically cut the wires first ?

Thanks,

Ian
Old 09-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Members

Any luck Frost015?

Quick Reply: How to Open Tailgate Window (with no power)