E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

How to Open Tailgate Window (with no power)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:10 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 525 2004 M54 Auto

I think I may have similar issues to the rest of the posters on this thread. I have an E61 2004 525 wih just 57,000 miles on the clock. I have suddenly started having a lot of issues with the rear end! right side fog light out, right side reversing light out, high level brake light out, rear wiper motor stopped working, tail gate glass wont open.... does this all sound familiar?

I tried to take a look last weekend and managed to remove all of the internal plastic trim but could not get the large trim off the tailgate as I could not get access to the last two screws as you need the tailgate glass open to get at them. I put it all back together in frustration....

only yesterday I managed to open the tailgate glass. funny thing is it won't open unless the engine is running? when the engine is off the glass wont open, when the engine is running it opens fine?

anyway, I will be carrying out surgery this weekend on the wiring looms on the tailgate. I will check all four wiring looms and cut out or replace any wiring which is faulty. I will keep you all updated with progress
Old 05-03-2013, 04:18 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520D

This forum is amazing! You all saved me a lot of money and time !

Off topic: does anyone knows if xenon bulbs make a good lightsource in the angeleyes on the e60/61 ?
Old 05-12-2013, 07:51 AM
New Members

My Ride: e61 535d LCi mSport, DPF removed, ECOtune remapped

Sounds like the wiring loom going into the tailgate. My button stopped working but by removing the wiper, cutting the switch out and touching the sires together mine opened. You have probably done this but hit the unlock button before trying to short the wires together. I noticed when working on my car the tailgate wouldn't open after a while unless i pressed the unlock again.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:41 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E61 DAT

@chop: I'm trying to remove the trim panel from the tailgate to get at the locking mechanism, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where the two final screws are that are only accessible with the glass hatch open. (My glass hatch *is* open).

I've removed one row of 5 screws + 1 row of 4 screws from the trim panel, but it still doen't appear to budge.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:40 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535d E61 Touring

If you can get the tailgate trim off, tap wires into the solenoid lock until you get your loom fixed. See attached and my other posts.

I had seen the pics posted before - i looked when mine was jammed. Now i can access it, i cannot see a manual release on the glass lock at all. If you tap the wires, you can open it whenever you need with a PP3 9V battery! - useful if you are part way through fixing the loom and need to open and close the glass.
Attached Thumbnails How to Open Tailgate Window (with no power)-img_3823.jpg  
Old 11-19-2014, 03:19 PM
New Members

Chop and B767 have the answer. I had to do this myself last year. While you cannot completely remove the inner tailgate panel with the glass closed, you can pry it out far enough to get the pointy end of a stick into the manual release. I wedged the panel open an inch or two and, with flashlight in one hand and stick in the other, I opened the window.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:35 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535d 2005

Hi just spent the day opening the glass on the tailgate just thought i should share this. There is a manual opening method shown by paulie. He uses a broom with a nail in it to operate it because of the lack of room to get your arm in. However i used this method to get my whole arm in to operate it with a small screw driver. There is a safety catch on the main tailgate lock (I presume so you can get out if you ever find yourself locked in the boot!!!!!!!) behind a small square cover. Behind this there is a bolt if you undo this and take it right out the main tailgate latch will flex enough for you to pull the plastic cover all the way over. This will give you more room to get your arm in.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:15 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Wagon

Having this problem with my 2008 E61. For some reason the pics posted by Chop don't show up in this thread. Anyone have pics of where this secret release button is?
Old 07-20-2015, 01:00 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535d 2005

Originally Posted by kguarnotta
Having this problem with my 2008 E61. For some reason the pics posted by Chop don't show up in this thread. Anyone have pics of where this secret release button is?
Ive got no pics. But looking from the passenger side in at the lock there is an oval hole about 4mm wide and 10mm long, stick a small screw driver in there and pull it towards the front. Or if you'd rather the 9v bat trick done by cmg535 does work aswell.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:09 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535d E61 Touring

I couldn't even see how to do the manual release of the glass solenoid even one i had got the trim removed and the glass unlocked, let alone fumbling around with the trim half on! I found it useful to have the wire tap so i could open and close the glass whilst doing the repair to the looms - i.e. even when the looms were cut.

Quick Reply: How to Open Tailgate Window (with no power)