E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Hatch glass adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530XiT (E61)

I had the car into the dealer about a week ago for a rear wiper problem and when I got the car back, they had changed something that affected how the glass hatch closed. It now requires quite a bit more effort - more of a slam - to close it securely. I used to be able to close it quite easily, and it would securely close with a fairly low amount of pressure. It was back at the dealer again last week so I asked them to adjust it, and it might be a little better but not like what it used to be. So, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows how I can adjust this myself. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 02-03-2016, 03:55 PM
New Members

Reviving a very old post, but I have searched extensively and not found any info. My 2008 E61 was in the shop recently and I received an 2006 E61 as a loaner. Using the rear hatch glass on that made me realize how poorly mine is working. On the loaner, closing the hatch glass was very easy and felt "solid", whereas on my car I have to slam it to get it to shut, and it rattles constantly when driving over bumps.

Does anyone know the procedure for properly adjusting the hatch glass? I have tried adjusting the rubber-hatted posts on each side of the glass and also the "loop" on the glass that the latch catches and nothing seems to help. Any ideas would be hugely appreciated.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:02 AM
New Members

Default SOLVED - Grease your locks!

Well after slowly being driven insane by this issue for 2+ years, I think I was finally able to fix it this morning. On a whim, I grabbed a can of
Amazon.com: CRC 5037 White Lithium Grease - 10 Wt Oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: CRC 5037 White Lithium Grease - 10 Wt Oz.: Automotive
off the shelf in the garage and sprayed the locking mechanism where the tailgate glass attaches. I have driven about 20 miles since and it has remained quiet as a church mouse.

I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the lock has a 2-stage catch, where the first stage holds it shut and the second stage tightens it up. I guess mine was sticking and not closing entirely. If and when the white lithium grease wears out I might try some teflon-based "
Super Lube 51004 Synthetic Oil with PTFE, High Viscosity, 4 oz Bottle: Fishing Equipment: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Super Lube 51004 Synthetic Oil with PTFE, High Viscosity, 4 oz Bottle: Fishing Equipment: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
" next

I should still go back and properly adjust the rubber bump-stops on either side of the window as I have adjusted them constantly trying to get the squeaking to go away. If anyone knows the proper adjustment or wants to pop the caps off and measure how much of the screw head is above the plastic I would appreciate it.