E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
My car was experiencing some misfiring under hard acceleration, the codes read bank 1,3,and 6. I took it to Sterling BMW in Newport and like clock-work they replaced the ignition coils in those banks, no more no less. Later that day a code popped up informing me there was a misfire in Bank 2, you think they would have replaced all ignition coils if half were bad and the time line suggests it would be good to replace all? I guess Ze-Germans are by the book. Hopefully I can get some more codes to pop up before I go back in and pay my $50 deductible for warranty work.
What I've read when trouble shooting misfire codes (I presume you're running tuned already) is first thing to replace are the spark plugs, much earlier than recommended, then if problem persists on certain cylinders, to swap ignition coils with another cylinder, to see if the misfire follows the coil, and if it does, then you go and replace it. If you're under warranty and they're replacing them for free, then I suppose less trouble shooting needs to be done by you. And if all that fails, often people figure they need walnut blasting, to clean the intake valves that get gunked up easily in these engines.

You'll probably want to do some logging too, to know you're not getting timing drops.

Good luck with it and please report back what the issue was once it's figured out.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Thanks for the advice, I am chipping away at it, coils are slowly getting replaced by BMW as I pull codes for misfires in different banks, the current plugs have about 15-18k on them and I plan on throwing a fresh set in if BMW won't. My HPFP was replaced 40k ago and might be involved but we will not know until I eliminate the other culprit .

Also, I spoke with a tech at Sterling BMW in Newport regarding the carbon build up. I asked for them to please peak inside to visually check the build up, he said once they visually see the build up and note it as being bad they can send a request to BMWNA for permission to fix it (walnut blast), hopefully this all falls into place.

Here are some picture updates, CAN YOU SPOT THE CHANGES IN THE FIRST PHOTO?

Evan
Attached Thumbnails Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-photo-5.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-photo-4.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-photo-3.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-photo-2.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-photo-1-2-.jpg  

Old 10-07-2013, 03:45 PM
New Members

My Ride: 650i 6sp
Engine: 4.8l V8

I wish my wagon was white on so many levels!!! Cant wait to see it all finished.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

Racing Dynamics Sport sways are installed, check out the size difference between the rear sways! Those OEM rear sways have no business on 2 ton+ vehicle, let alone a wagon.

With the KWV3s, RD Sport sways, and Hankook V12 255 at all 4 corners the handling is impressive, I am content.
Attached Thumbnails Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-oem-sway.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-rdsport-sway.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-2.jpg  
Old 10-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Wicked build so far! Any chance you can also post up where you bought various parts from? Would be a good resource for anyone else.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Wicked build so far! Any chance you can also post up where you bought various parts from? Would be a good resource for anyone else.
The best prices I found on OEM parts is from TheBMWpartstore.com the only catch is they are located in the midwest? and can not ship larger items like fenders, bumpers, bumper mounts etc. The largest item I had shipped was the fender liners, they came in a box large enough to fit fenders but maybe the fragility of the metal was the real reason for not shipping such pieces.

I bought my OEM M5 front bumper off Ebay, I plan having it slightly reconditioned and repainted so the quality (and paint color) were not terribly important, as long as the bumper was free of major structural damage, cracks, dents, and such it was good enough for me.

My local dealership wanted roughly $900 for a front bumper, a local independent shop was asking $775, and The BMWPartsstore.com's price was a reasonable $550 or so. I ended up getting mine off Ebay for $380 shipped. There is 1 tab broken, out of the 6 so it shouldn't pose a huge problem, and there is some scrapes from shipping as the seller only used bubble wrap and no cardboard. Again, minor setback considering I saved over $500 on the bmper vs the dealership price.

My rear M-tech bumper is from Umnitza as the OEM bumper is outrageously expensive. Umnitza again is about 1/2 price. Some catches with this unit are the material is polyurethane (not necessarily a downside but noteworthy), and since I have PDC I need to drill the 4 holes in the bumper and then mount/glue the PDC brackets onto the bumper myself. Again, a slight setback for saving money. Matt from Umnitza tells me the fit and finish is great so I will report back to confirm. People considering upgrading their stock bumpers to M-tech have 3 options but it is more realistically 2 since finding someone parting out an E61 M-tech or a salvaged E61 M-T with an unscathed rear bumper is impossible. 1 option is OEM through BMW and about $850 or Umnitza.

I found a great deal on a passenger side fender from ebay, perfect structural condition but it was Lemans Blue, I snagged it for $200 shipped from Alabama. It arrived today and due to mishandling and inadequate packaging (again only bubble wrap, no cardboard) it arrived dented in 2 areas. This really throws a wrench into the timeline on things as it was the last major body piece I was waiting one. Actually with the exception of the M-tech rear bumper mounts which are Nationally back-ordered from Germany, the fender was the last piece of the puzzle.

Anyway, on a more progressive note: I got my Yakima Whispbars and plasti-dipped them black. As I didn't prep the surface before applying Plasti dip, I doubt the rubber will stay put for long, especially in the winter. But for now the black roof-rack base-bars look awesome in black; this has to be one of the sleekest and stealthiest rack combos out there (and no Jon Olson's setup doesn't count). These Whispbars are as flush and integrated as I have seen, they are so low-profile that when used on Audis or other cars with flush-mount rails you can not use many rack attachments and/or sunroofs as there is simply no clearance. After having the roof vinyl wrapped gloss black and Plasti-dipping the remaining roof items black, the black racks really fit in aesthetically. I love the functionality of rack (especially on a wagon) but have when they are too bulky, obtrusive, and inefficient. This setup is functional and aesthetically pleasing; a goal I try to achieve when modifying cars.

I also have a Spec Dock waiting to go in along with some dual 3.5" double-walled exhaust tips I got off ebay for $45. Spec Dock will be installed soon and tips will go on (along with a muffler delete) once the M-Tech rear bumper is installed. These tips having a 3.5" OD and will be able to fit snugly through the opening in the rear diffuser but I am waiting for the bumper first so I can dial in the fitment; I hate when exhaust tips don't have proper fitment.

Lastly there is a heated sport steering wheel in the mail.

All for now but certainly more to come.
Evan
Attached Thumbnails Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-photo-3asdff.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-sadv.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-bfv.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-gb.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Senior Members

Wow, you've spent some time researching all this... That's half the fun though I gotta admit.

How about your sway bars and KW's? (where you got them)

Are you considering a strut bar too? Another member here got the Cusco one he was saying.

(I still have to learn more about the difference b/w sway bars and strut bars - in terms of what each one does - so I can decide which to get).
Old 10-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

Wow, you've spent some time researching all this... That's half the fun though I gotta admit.

How about your sway bars and KW's? (where you got them)

Are you considering a strut bar too? Another member here got the Cusco one he was saying.

(I still have to learn more about the difference b/w sway bars and strut bars - in terms of what each one does - so I can decide which to get).
I bought the KWs used from a fellow E61 owner. The sways are new (to the market) and rare so buying from a retailer was my only option. I got them through Trinity Autosport.

Evan
Old 10-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

Thanks. Here's the link to the sways for anyone else:

Trinity Autosport : RDSport ANTI SWAY-BAR KIT 30.2/22.2mm ADJUSTABLE [1968160110] - $479.00

What's your impression of them? Can you give a before / after review? What stiffness did you set them to (though I suppose with your setup with the KW's, you might have a different stiffness setting than someone with stock suspension)
Old 10-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks. Here's the link to the sways for anyone else:

Trinity Autosport : RDSport ANTI SWAY-BAR KIT 30.2/22.2mm ADJUSTABLE [1968160110] - $479.00

What's your impression of them? Can you give a before / after review? What stiffness did you set them to (though I suppose with your setup with the KW's, you might have a different stiffness setting than someone with stock suspension)
The before and after is a little difficult to accurately asses due to the rate at which modsifications were applied (I can only blame myself); I didn't have many miles logged on the OEM sways where the experience wasn't influenced by the wheel/tire or suspension changes.

What I can say is, as you may have expected: less body roll. The change was not as profound as I was expecting. I say this because I read on M5board the reactions of E60 M5 members who changed from M5 OEM sways to RD, almost everyone stated a profound difference. So I was taking that information and in my mind combining it with the concept of a wagon having all it's "extra" mass up high in the rear quarters. Then when you factor in the diameter of the OEM rear sway (it is laughable, see above), I was looking for a night-and-day difference. I didn't get that but there is a noticeable difference.

When you change direction the weight transfer from side-to-side is still there and it doesn't feel as minimized as I was expecting BUT once the initial weight transfer is completed, you don't feel the car leaning as much while in a corner. The actual angle of the car mid-corner may not be as reduced as you would think but the dynamics and performance you are able to extract is a significant improvement. I find this interesting as the expectations pre and during were not met but the outcome/performance of the upgrade met or possibly exceeded my expectations.

I am not particularly experienced at handling cars at the limits but I feel that this wagon in it's current set up:
- JB4 & DCI
- KW V3
- RD Sways
- 9.5" wheels on 255/40/19 Hankook V12s

...could stand toe-toe with my old E39 M5 up to triple digits with a notable advantage at lower speeds and on more technical terrain.

See E39 here: https://5series.net/forums/complete-...-clean-135039/

Thumbs up for the sways, they are worth it if you push your car at all .... that is why we bought wagons and not SUVs right???

Evan

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All