E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 09:07 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
When you say 410 is that wheel or crank? It makes a big difference. For example, my wagon is about 550awhp which means the engine is producing over 650hp at the crank with projected xi drivetrain loss.

10-15k mile interval would be about right but it depends on how hard your car is driven. If you go with NGKs gapping to .22 is required, so yes, follow in the footsteps of those who have proven this setup.

Evan
I meant 410 at the crank...really puny in comparison to your! LOL

Thanks for the advise.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by smitty513
Evan,

I'm not too sure on the coding part but unplugging it will throw a warning. If you need a 535i VO I may be able to provide the list. Only thing I would be skeptical of is the splines in the transfer case being able to hold up to your power level. Most failures I've seen is usually bad shift forks or clutches, not the input splines. Any progress yet?
I went under the car and disconnected the TC actuator, hoping that the clutch would remain disengaged and keep the unit from robbing power from the rear wheels. Once unplugged the car had no errors, at least none in the dash or that could be read through my JB4, there might be some which can be read through INPA. I drove the car around and it was behaving as it did before, with traction the car felt as fast as it did before, I took it on the freeway and did some pulls to let the electronics adapt to my Map 6 tuning (once you switch maps with the JB4 it can take the car a few pulls to fully adapt). The car felt every bit as fast as it did before.

With DSC off, breaking traction in 1st, and slapping the rev limiter the trans would get confused, try to shift or slip out of gear, and revert to auto/sport mode from manual but my gauge cluster did not reflect this change, it still read "M1 or M2" even though the trans was doing it's own thing. This didn't happen every time but frequently, when it was able to gather itself it had a hard time recovering gracefully, obviously fighting with the power being thrown at it. While engaged DSC would still intervene. I found a quiet side street in an industrial area to try a static burnout, brake was held and gas was applied, rear tires started to spin but the sound or burning rubber was quickly followed by huge bang and some nasty mechanical grinding noises, trans or TC bit the dust, engine is 100% disconnected from the drivetrain. No codes were thrown so I assume it is the TC as it was unplugged and probably couldn't register the error.

As it stands now I must make a decision, to choose AWD or RWD to go along with my 6-spd manual swap!
I have to look further into my options, I guess 6MT and AWD would be ideal but that puts me back to square one with my CV axle issue. Going RWD is still an option but it looks like the DSC unit and module would need to be swapped and coded to make it legit once the TC is out. If I did RWD it would need to be bulletproof, the only thing I would want to worry about it replacing tires, I need to see what the clutch, diff, and axle setup would run and how much everything would cost in addition to the DSC conversion. Time to research.

Thankfully when I broke my car it was only 1.1 miles from my house and it was in a safe area where I could leave it overnight. To add insult to injury, when heading back to my car to meet the tow truck, my skateboard decided it had enough! No huge surprise, I am 250lbs and have beat this thing up during my college days at UCSB, RIP Sector 9!

I break things,
Evan

Tow Hook activated!

I had nothing better to do so I took photos of my wagon on the flatbed.

RIP

UPDATE

I had some time to examine my drivetrain and it looks like I snapped my driver-side axle at the outer CV joint. The JB4 offered no codes but I was able to pull some up in INPA and although related to the issue they didn't seem to be directly linked with the mechanical failure. My guess is during the stationary burnout the DXC system applied the brakes and in the end torque won. The e-diff can apply brakes to an individual wheel but I assume this would be less likely than the DXC stepping in since the DXC/DSC units are physically different and none of the drivetrain sensors were recalibrated.

Why a system stepped in is still unclear to me since my understanding is the e-diff allows burnouts and the DXC system is designed to transfer power to the wheel that has grip, up to 100% to one wheel. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

I am curious to know exactly what happened but part of me doesn't care as I will be doing a full transmission and drivetrain conversion.

Future Build Plans:
6MT
Stage 3+ Clutch
SMFW Flywheel
CDV Delete
UUC SSK
M5 Driveshaft
M5 LSD
M5 Axles
535i DSC Unit

Evan

Broken Axle

Old 12-28-2015, 11:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Damn that never looks good hitching a ride on a flat bed. Well hopefully you get this figured out.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Damn that never looks good hitching a ride on a flat bed. Well hopefully you get this figured out.
Currently I am hunting down deals on the parts for the 6MT/RWD conversion.

E60 M5 axles, drive shaft, and flex disc are already on their way!
Old 12-30-2015, 07:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

Little Update on this...

I snagged a used rear axle and DSC unit off eBay to get me back up and running. Once everything comes in my plan is to:

- Replace snapped axle
- Physically remove VGSG module
- Replace DXC unit with the new DSC
- Flush ABS system
- Recode the car with AWD VO removed
- Code the DSC module
- Reset adaptations
- Reset wheel speed sensors
- Calibrate steering angle sensor
- Reflash TCU with SAT file

If you recall the transfer case is still installed but it's essentially dead weight, it will be removed when my new goodies are in for my transmission swap. Goodies include:

- 6MT
- BMS SSK +DSR
- Beefy Clutch/Flywheel Setup (still deciding)
- BMW Performance Shift Knob
- CDV Delete
- M5 axles
- M5 drive shaft
- M5 LSD
- MFactory Solid Diff Bushings (if they fit)

Evan
Old 12-31-2015, 10:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

I have to say, i think you have the most fun with your E60E61 compare to all the members here!! Happy new year Evan!!
Old 12-31-2015, 10:30 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BALASUBAS
I have to say, i think you have the most fun with your E60E61 compare to all the members here!! Happy new year Evan!!
II definitely like to wrench and create the ultimate wagon (in my opinion).

Happy New Year to you too.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

M5 drive shaft and flex disc arrived today.

535i Flex Disc = 105mm bolt hole spacing
M5 Flex Disc = 110mm bolt hole spacing
...so I am anticipating the need for an M5 output flange from a manual M5 as well.

My understanding is the main bearing-to-differential portion should bolt right in but the front section will need to be customized (lengthened) to mate with the N54.

535i Manual Driveshaft = 1631mm
M5 Manual Driveshaft = 1526mm

I looked into running a hybrid setup with the front being from a 535i and rear from an M5 but I think the spline and main bearing are a slightly larger diameter.

With the M5 LSD my ratio will jump from 3.46 to 3.62. I did some math and revs at highway cruising speeds will be tolerable and 130mph should be obtainable when wringing out 4th gear. Most importantly the grip of an LSD will be very welcomed as I am going from 4 wheels down to 2. Shifting more frequently doesn't bother me at all since it will all be controlled with my left foot.

Evan

Old 01-10-2016, 09:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

The black interior continues to evolve

Old 01-13-2016, 01:32 PM
New Members

My Ride: Miata Starion Forester

Curious - back to the M5 brakes and the staggered setup - at the time was there any concerns about tire sizes causing issue with the AWD system?

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All