E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by sterile stork
Curious about your M5 brake swap--did you keep the original brake master cylinder or did you change that as well?

You keeping the headlamps sans angle eyes? Blacked out they are looking fierce.
M5 brakes are simple: rotors, calipers, lines, and rear hubs. No other parts need to be swapped.

I plan to run these headlights for now, the projectors are much better than before and although white demon-eye look isn't flawless I really like the unique look. I am not a fan of LED rings oem or not.

Evan
Old 08-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Went a little OCD on the engine bay...
Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Up next will be a custom coolant hose for the expansion tank and some black silicone reducers for the inlet system.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

Replacement DP gaskets and hardware
Replacement turbo hardware
N20 TMAP
Water pump + Thermostat
Hexon RR550s

Installing Tuesday!

Old 09-02-2015, 06:40 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: 535xi Wagon
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by E61FUN
So your rear track width increased by something like 1.5-2 inches (40mm-50) with the M5 hubs?

Leads me to wonder: are the rear fender flares on an M5 that much wider then a non M E61 (like the front fenders), or are the rear trailing arms narrower to account for the M5 oem wheel offset and wider hubs?

Did your replace any of your backing plates? Aren't those larger on an M5?
When you swap for the M5 hubs you will gain an 1" (25mm), and the rear fenders are the same width as reg E6X cars the front fenders/bumper is the only width increase. The rear trailing arms are also the same on all E6X parts, as for the backing plates (dust shield) we did away with ours, not sure if Evan installed the M5 ones as they are different it shares this with M6 and 7 Series cars.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Members
Senior Members

So your rear track width increased by something like 1.5-2 inches (40mm-50) with the M5 hubs?

Leads me to wonder: are the rear fender flares on an M5 that much wider then a non M E61 (like the front fenders), or are the rear trailing arms narrower to account for the M5 oem wheel offset and wider hubs?

Did your replace any of your backing plates? Aren't those larger on an M5?
M5 rear hubs decrease rear track by about 20mm and as Dan said, gives the xi normal rwd type offsets (or close to it).

I removed the backing plates and did away with them, they served no purpose for me.

It makes you think why they gave the xi such high offsets.

Evan
Old 09-05-2015, 07:25 AM
Members
Senior Members

Okay, I think I see what lead to my confusion about track width.

I had not noticed the shallowness of the M5 rotors in your batch of post 1525638's images:

I take it that all standard 5-series hubs and brake parts are on depicted on the left, and M5 on the right. So M5 hubs are shorter and the rotors are shallower too?

As for the Xi's high offsets:

I have read enough about "rolling diameter" and "rolling circumference" of tires with regard to staggered setups and Xdrive to make my head spin. And yet also opinions about how differences in front-to-back offset have just as great an influence on the Xdrive system. And then the fact that X5's had Xdrive and staggered setups, yet with very specific wheel combos and offsets. And still there are the Alpina B5s and B7s now using Xdrive (which of course could be mildly or vastly tweaked). I am left perplexed.

Fortunately, Evan, we have you pioneering the way for all of us unwilling to accept, "no, it will not work!"

Yes, the rotors are shallower just as the hubs are.

Regarding the rolling diameter I have heard of people running staggard setups with complete disregard for the xi system with no problems and I have certainly heard it the other way around. Personally I have had no bad experiences with it but I always run tires sizes within that 1% range, it makes dialing in your fitment a nightmare but I have not heard enough info to convince me I continue following that rule.

Evan

I am not sure if the
Old 09-05-2015, 07:25 AM
Members
Senior Members

Here are some more pics of the turbo install. It was a lot of work but a fun project, I learned a lot.

Sub frame was dropped.

The pile of parts grew!

Brakes

Hexon vs oem

Rear oem turbo off, front oem on

CHRA on front turbo, no bueno

Rear turbo

Front turbo, no bueno

Hexon

So much room for activities! All turbo hardware and downpipe hardware were replaced.

In with the new

Checked my valves and it looks like a sleeve on cylinder 4 is bad

Replaced Thermostat and Water Pump, essentially resetting the 80,000 mile time bomb

Replaced passenger side engine mount

Found some wear on the silicone reducer running to my intercooler, I am also happy to report that it wasn't filled with oil.

Decided to refresh the boosted portion of my intake system.

T-bolt clamps are out and my intake system is 100% worm-gear.

All of the silicone humps were cut off the pipes to help improve flow, I did the same thing to my inelt system.

Before

After

The battle axe that was my prior charge pipe connection

Much better. I will consider it a "good problem" if make enough boost to blow these clamps off! :devil
Old 09-07-2015, 03:18 PM
Members
Senior Members

Fantastic! I eagerly await your post-update thoughts on performance and to the question: would you do it again, knowing what you have learned?
If you are asking if I would do the install myself again, yes. It is a lot of work but nothing terribly challenging. On my car I could for sure get it done in one day now that I have an install under my belt. Now that uncertainty is removed from the equation things would go much much faster.

Evan
Old 09-09-2015, 08:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

Here is an updated exhaust clip with the Hexons installed.
Exhaust system is straight piped with a Magnaflow resonator.

Evan

Old 09-10-2015, 04:11 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi

Sounds great!

Quick question about the M5 hubs, can you just swap the hub only and still use the stock brake setup? Or do you have to use the M5 brakes as well?

I am really only concerned about getting a little more offset.

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All