E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54
Default ______3/14/15_Update________Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

HUGE Update
3/14/15
Post #86

Hello Gentlemen,

...Happy to be here. Today I took delivery of my Alpine White E61 535xi. This is my first wagon but absolutely not my first BMW, I transition from an Imola Red E39 M5 with the elusive M-texture interior, I modded it and enjoyed it. It is For Sale and can be seen here: E39 (96-03) For Sale CA, Imola Red E39 M5, M-Texture Alcantara, Tastefully Modded, Clean - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums enough of that.

Like most of you, I tend to observe and research on forums; one of my favorite things to do it watch the transformation of a car during a build, before and after shots are awesome! In the past, I have never done them, even when I have 100% intention on photo-documenting a mod but always get preoccupied with what I am doing real-time and I don't want to stop to grab my camera and snap pics along the way. I am making a huge effort on this car to document all progress. This will be an awesome build on a very unique vehicle and I think people would appreciate the transition, that and I feel it is time to give back to the community.

THE ESSENTIALS
2008 535xi Touring
72k CPO until 8/14
Auto (Manuals are true unicorns)
All options I care about.
Alpine White
Previous owned by a BMWCCA member

THE OBJECTIVE
I never planned on selling my E39, the car is all time along with the E30 and E46 in terms of timeless styling and appeal. I wanted to run it well past 250k but certain life changes dictate a need for AWD. After researching the options: B5 S4 Avant, B8 A4, C5 S6, C5 All Road, C6 Avant 3.0T, and 535xiT, it was apparent being 6'8" I would only squeeze into the C5 Audi (with the sport seats), the C6 (barely), and 535xiT. The driving dynamics of the Audis left something to be desired in my opinion. The price point of a well maintained C5 All-road kept poking at my interest but I ended up going with my gut and pulling the trigger on the 535xiT. My roommate has a n54 powered 335xi with a 6spd so I had an idea what I was getting myself in to.

My objective is to maintain as much of the driving dynamics and overall experience I can from my E39 while keeping the functionality and practicality the E61 has to offer in tact. The E61 in xi form is truly a do-it-all car, assuming you don't have to tow a boat, you can do it in an awd E61.

THE PLAN
- OEM M5 Front End Conversion (Bumper Fenders etc)
- OEM M5 Mirrors
- Oem M-Tech Skirts
- Umnitza M-Tech Rear Bumper
- BMS JB4 G4
- BMS DCI
- KW V3
- Racing Dynamics Sway Bars
- Many Miscellaneous Interior and Exterior Mods, details, details, details!
- Wheels are still up for discussion as I am reaching out to some companies to see if they would like to be a part of this build but I deep down would love to run Forgestar F14 SDCs all around, the concave style of the wheel will accentuate the bull-dog stance this E61 will have with the M5 fenders.

The E60/1 was always somewhat of an ugly-duckling for me, when it came out I was pretty shocked, the headlights reminded me on the diamond-encrusted glasses an obnoxious grandma would wear. After seeing some aggressively modded I saw the potential; with a wide stance and good wheel fitment the E60/1 questionable styling fell into place, all of the sharp angles and creases started to make sense. Now as an owner, I still don't think it is particularly good looking but I see the aggressive potential waiting to be unlocked... at least the E60/1 headlights look more sorted than the new F10.... oh boy.

The car arrived at noon and after a car wash I was on my way to Trinity Autosport and to see Don Nyugen to get the ball rolling, the car was stock for all of 1.5 hours. Friends don't let friends drive stock!! I will be posting updates on Instagram for those who are inclined, my handle is Hoburger

Thanks to Top End Motorwerks, Trinity Autosport, and Don Dguyen for the help thus far. On to the good stuff:
Attached Thumbnails Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-stock.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-stock-side.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-img_8680.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-don.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-trim-after.jpg  

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 03-14-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

Part 2
Attached Thumbnails Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-reflector.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-img_8693.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-front-before.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-front-end-complete-far.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-img_8705.jpg  

Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

Part 3
Attached Thumbnails Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-signal-before.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-signal-after.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-license-before-far.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-license-after-far.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-tail-tint-during.jpg  

Old 09-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Members
Senior Members

Part 4

More to come, stay tuned.

Evan
Attached Thumbnails Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-img_8715.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-both.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-interior.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-img_8729.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-img_8735.jpg  

Old 09-25-2013, 10:08 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e39

Nice cars buddy well done
Would be nice to be able to keep both. Getting rid of a nice e39 is not easy.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

Ha, my car is so stock it is crazy. There will be a small influx of parts this weekend. Most of the body work will hopefully start next week.

Day 2 Update

I stopped by LTMW to catch up with the guys and test fit a wheel. This is the wheel and I really want to sqyyze. The smallest they make is a 19x9.5 and the highest offset is 24, not exactly xi territory but I want to make it work; and work without crazy tires stretch, negative camber, extreme fender work, or constant rubbing. I want to make it fit and have it be usable.

Keep in mind I will be running M5 fenders which are 10+mm wider each side.

Oh how intense these wheels would look on an E61, talk about aggressive. More to come.
Attached Thumbnails Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-img_8759.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-img_8758.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-img_8765.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-img_8761.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-img_8754.jpg  

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 09-25-2013 at 09:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Les1975 (03-10-2021)
Old 09-25-2013, 09:53 PM
Members
Senior Members

Also, took the rear badge off, people don't need to know what it is...

...if you know, you know, if you don't YOUR OUT!
Attached Thumbnails Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-img_8775.jpg  
Old 09-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 W211
Model Year: 2017

nice! i saw your fs thread a while ago and absolutely love what you did with your e39. tastefully modded indeed.

as far as your new wheels on your e61, you should be able to run those sizes all day with a minor stretch up front. i would go 1/2 inch wider out back since your wheels will naturally squat with a drop.

i'm sure you've seen these e61's but i would go with a different color for wheels as the lines/design tends to get lost when finished in black. i'm lame and boring and always tend to do brushed aluminum face with chrome lip and i just got my new wheels redone in brushed aluminum with a matte double dark tint clear coat on a polished lip.

sema vip modular e61, body work done by buddha concept design (if you're interested i can set you up with them)
http://lh5.ggpht.com/-fNsuNX6S7-8/Tu...02011-5001.jpg

stanceworks e61 somewhere in europe
http://i45.tinypic.com/352ns0m.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/jpv24k.jpg

i think this guy might be on here somewhere
My New Project .... E61 Touring - StanceWorks
Old 09-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks for the kind words.

Great minds think alike. I completely agree with wheel color and not being able to appreciate the details of a wheel when it is black, of course there is something sexy about polished hardware and black faces being reflected in polished step lips, somethings magical happens! I old school with you as in I think it is harder to beat a brushed face/polished lip combo.

On this E61 I am going to opt for the concave one-piece look. In contrast to a 3-piece wheel I feel the OEM+ is much easier to pull off. Some wheels receiving consideration along with the Forgestar SDCs are: Vossen CV7, AG M550, AGM350, Miro 111s, OEM M6 wheels would look great but with offsets that aggressive I would prefer to run a 9" or 9.5" up front and get that larger contact patch.

Agreed with the rear fitment. "Huntington" is running a 20x10.5 et43 in the rear and I have stopped by his shop to get creepy by sticking my fingers in his wheel wells and checking clearance. I am comfortable running a wheel inset 3-4mm further but not much more. Assuming I can correct with inner clearance, I think it is possible to fit an 11" rear. 19x11 et40. Half of me wants to just run a 19x10 and add spacers if needed but MAN, would an 11" rear take the car into full beast mode. I need to do some more research on this.

Evan
Old 09-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by 03grey5
i think this guy might be on here somewhere
My New Project .... E61 Touring - StanceWorks
Yep, his name was M3This. He sold his beauty a year ago.

https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...ouring-111893/

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All