E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by bmwmonkey
Where did you source the pedals from?
Quality Custom Racing Pedals for BMW E39 For Your BMW!

I had these on my previous E39 M5 and loved them, great for driving with shoes and comfortable while bare foot. I recommend an anti slip design. The quality and fitment of these pedals are great, noticeably better than other options IMO but they better be for the price.

Evan
Old 03-31-2015, 03:49 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 523i
Model Year: 2006

From one touring owner to another, I salute you sir!

If I lived in the USA I would've definitely met up with you for help on mine.

You turned a normal SE to a BEAST
Old 04-02-2015, 07:30 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Katitu
From one touring owner to another, I salute you sir!

If I lived in the USA I would've definitely met up with you for help on mine.

You turned a normal SE to a BEAST
Appreciate the kind words. Thanks.

I took a short video showing the exterior lighting on my wagon.
Evan

Old 04-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

BTW, which brand and type of film is your tint? It's one of the to-do mods on my list...
Old 04-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
BTW, which brand and type of film is your tint? It's one of the to-do mods on my list...
Johnson Films: Marathon 20
Old 04-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

I FINALLY upgraded to a sport steering wheel, I was on the hunt for a heated M-Sport but after a while I conceded to the regular heated sport steering wheel, this will hold me over until I get the M-sport.

Evan

Old 04-05-2015, 11:04 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: 535xi Wagon
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
I have been following the turbo inlets and seen the 600+rwhp and AWHP pulls from the E9X guys, impressive any way you slice it. I don't necessarily want or need to push that kind of power because I have visions of my output shafts and other drivetrain components struggling with the load, I have already replaced a damaged front half-shaft.

BUT I do like the idea of the inlets with upgraded turbos (RBs in my case) being able to make the same power with less strain on the turbo is reason enough for me. Longevity is the name of the game for me and part of the reason why I am upgrading to RBs.

Development of the inlets will likely be interesting as we can copy most of what the E9X guys do but with some unexpected nasty surprises, my biggest concern at this point is clearance around the turbos to fit the intake piping or lack there of, I think the resorting of the engine bay won't be too difficult but I don't have much data to back this up, just a speculation.

There is a another member "Ocean" on N54Tech who is really progressive with his 535xi's performance he may be headed down this road as well, we should all sync up develop together if timing allows.

Regarding the design I like what another N54Tech member did with his "DIY" turbo inlet system; instead of 2 filters and 2 pipes he runs 1 Filter that splits and feeds both turbos. I like the idea of the air pressure and source being the same for both turbos, it makes sense to me, and let's not forget that the parts for his intake build were around $150 as opposed to $1,100 or $1,500 or whatever TFT charges...... murder.

Evan

Have you been following SlickSilver on N54tech with his inlets? They are still around $450 but do the exact same thing and his car just took the Stock WHP record with the inlets on there. I have already contacted him in regards to our engine and he said he would be willing to make something up. Although I have the turbos due in a week now I will be tearing into thoes and for sure going a custom inlet route having SilckSilver make something up. As to one inlet or two I don't mind one way or the other. We have a lot more to deal with as for as moving stuff around to make them work also.

I would be down for developing something as when the turbos go in I will not be placing the stock inlets back in at all The parts are going to be cheap, the annoyance of making everything work it what will take time and also relocating the coolant containers. I will be place an order for Fuel-it Stage 2 to be running e85 and already have the MDH flasher and Wedge Performance will be tuning the car.

Let me know yours thoughts on this I am sure we can come up with something. Also any info on the strut bars as to were to get them from?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Members
Senior Members

Nice to see your fire on this. I have a Stage 2 LPFP in the mail along with an Android tablet to accommodate the MHD flashing, the N54 game is progressing so quickly it is hard to keep up.

I think the biggest issue for us E6X guys is fabricating the parts we need (turbo inlets) or being local to someone who can use our car as a reference to build them, there isn't much market for the E6X so we need to be persistent or just do it ourselves, are you local to Slicksilver? I have followed his posts and his last record dyno run really shows the benefit of the inlets, after 4.5k things really take off.

It has been a while since I was under the car viewing the rear turbo but clearance there ma be an area of concern for us. In addition to the radiator expansion tank and possibly boost solenoids we have the hard oil-return line which runs above the turbo-ic charge pipe, even after those are all relocated things will be tight. I really like the idea of running turbo inlets but wonder if the "extra" engine bay space the E6X offers over the E9X might be more accommodating for us to run a setup like VTT intakes as opposed to the passenger side location? This is all speculation and based of pictures I have seen along with staring blankly at my engine bay.

Excited to see where things go, and terrified at the torque my xi drivetrain will have to deal with...

EDIT: I realize I didn't address your question about strut braces. The brand is Ultra Racing and they can be tracked down on eBay and a few random websites. I originally bought the lower front and lower rear braces off eBay and then noticed a fellow forum member was parting out his friends car which included those and the upper front brace (which I only found on eBay but sourced from Malaysia) so I promptly returned the 2 braces which I paid $240 for on eBay and bought all 3 for $150. I am happy to report that the lower rear does in fact fit our wagons ad just barely clears our pano-roof pull rods.

Evan

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 04-06-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:05 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i - M Package

I was gonna say you really need to change that steering wheel. LOL.

It looks good. But what's the difference between this and an M-Sport steering wheel? (Apart from aesthetics)
Old 04-06-2015, 07:02 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 550Hi
I was gonna say you really need to change that steering wheel. LOL.

It looks good. But what's the difference between this and an M-Sport steering wheel? (Apart from aesthetics)
M-Sport has the thumb rests which I really like and find myself missing with spirited driving, it may also be a tad thicker than the sport wheel which I think is a bit thicker than non-sport. So it is both aesthetics and performance.

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All