E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Engine malfunction reduced power help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 08:40 AM
JNJ
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535xiT
Model Year: 2008
Default Engine malfunction reduced power help

Hey guys.

I have researched this a lot before making this post no have a 08 535xiT auto. It has 137k on the clock. Pretty solid history service history from BMW.

Anyway couple times when I had it in manual mode if I was shifting towards redline I would get the engine malfunction warning. No noticeable loss of power at all. If I shut it down and immediately restarted the car no check engine lights and the warning was gone.

Last week installed then Cobb stage 1. It feels strong I love it! Pulls good. I used the Cobb to see if there was any stored codes and there isn't. I haven't hammered on it yet because I'm afraid of getting the warning again. Anybody have any idea what could trigger it? I don't know when the spark plugs were last done so I am going to swap in new Bosch ones.

Both times I got the chime and malfunction and reduced power I didn't notice any loss of power. It has happened on the highway only and it has never happened in D mode. Any help would be helpful.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:32 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

Hard to tell by your description of the issue. If it only happens in 4th gear, it could be a small vacuum leak, or fuel related, or spark related, etc.

I'd say, push it hard on the Cobb and see if codes are finally thrown. It will be easier to recreate now that you are pushing the engine harder. However, I would recommend changing the spark plugs before so you start with fresh plugs since they recommend doing them every 20k when on a tune. Good luck and enjoy your tune ;-)
Old 07-02-2016, 05:44 PM
JNJ
New Members

Thanks for the reply. It only has happened in 4th gear come to think of it.

New Bosch plugs in order and new coilpacks. Hope that it fixes it. Car feels great with a tune so far.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

don't forget about the famous Walnut blasting to clean out carbon deposits
Old 07-04-2016, 04:36 PM
JNJ
New Members

I'm trying to find an Indy locally to walnut blast. The dealer here charges $900 for it.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: 08 535xi wagon 6AT. Saphire Black with Natural Brown interior.

Originally Posted by JNJ
I'm trying to find an Indy locally to walnut blast. The dealer here charges $900 for it.
If you have access to a legit air compressor, you can get everything you need from BavAuto for < $300 and it takes about 7hr to do yourself with a shop vac and basic tools. They have a video that shows you exactly what to do. I took this on last weekend and was very successful.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 535 & an E30

FWIW I just had a similar error pop up. Turned out to be a wastegate control solenoid
Old 07-29-2016, 07:49 AM
JNJ
New Members

Originally Posted by Junger
FWIW I just had a similar error pop up. Turned out to be a wastegate control solenoid
My code is 30ff. At this point I'm almost certain it is a bad wastegate solenoid. I have just replaced all vac lines with silicone. I installed and aftermarket chargepipe and tial bov. I've gone over all intercooler piping and connections. Which leads me to believe it is a solenoid. How did you narrow down which one was bad?
Old 07-29-2016, 10:40 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 535 & an E30

Originally Posted by JNJ
My code is 30ff. At this point I'm almost certain it is a bad wastegate solenoid. I have just replaced all vac lines with silicone. I installed and aftermarket chargepipe and tial bov. I've gone over all intercooler piping and connections. Which leads me to believe it is a solenoid. How did you narrow down which one was bad?
I personally didn't, I only wrench on the E30 these days. There is not enough time for me to mess with both cars and the E61 needs to be the reliable daily. So I am not allowing myself to mess with it. yet.

I took it to a local shop and they diagnosed it, originally they thought the turbos were bad and tried to get the local BMW dealership to take it in on warranty since the waste gates were "out of spec". The Dealer shop foreman came back and let my shop guy know that they should check the solenoids first before sending it over. Both were replaced so I don't know if they even tried to figure out which on was bad. I know your thinking "man you over paid", but in my mind if one is out the other is about to go as well and I'd rather get it taken care of since they are already in there.

So far so good no more codes when getting on it a little to pass another car, also no waste gate rattle.. yet.. hopefully if they do start to rattle they'll do it with in the next 25K miles or 2 years.