E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Electronics Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 04:18 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535xiA Touring Sport Black/Peanut Butter
Model Year: 2008
Default Electronics Issues

Hi all, thrilled to be part of the e61 community! I love this car.

I'm having some electronics issues, and I'm not sure if they are related. I suspect I need a new battery, but I would like any input before I take the time to get the work done. Namely:

• I got a battery discharge notification twice after using the parked ventilation.
  • If the car sits for more than a day or so, the clock and trip information reset to zero. The car starts without issue though.
  • Sometimes the clock will lose between two and ten minutes overnight, but nothing else appears to be not affected.
  • The ventilation timers reset to midnight almost every night.
  • The remote range is poor. I have to be within 20 feet of the car to lock or unlock. At least half the time I have to have the remote in my hand to lock or unlock by touching the door handle with comfort access, but pulling to unlock works with it in my pocket. Sometimes the car thinks there is no remote if it's in my pocket in the driver's seat but it usually works on the second try. Same issue with both remotes, and I replaced the batteries in both.
  • This is the weird one. It seems to follow me as I have the same issue with my wife's Jaguar. The driver's side view mirror resets to the wrong position, but not every time. It goes to a different place each time also. I have reset the memory slots and it still happens, but not every time. It happens with the last seat position function either on or off. It seems to happen far less often if the mirror switch is in the position that turns off the right side curb feature.
Any input would be appreciated. Nothing like buying a car and having to worry about a ghost in the machine.

I am also wondering if I can activate the following preferences, and if anyone has recommend a preferred, inexpensive programmer to use with this car:

• Close windows/fold mirrors with the remote. I'm not sure why BMW USA thinks us Americans are too dumb to use this feature.
  • Close cargo hatch from the interior button. Same note as above.
  • Open or close the pano roof all the way with one touch. If I wanted it open to the sedan level, I would have bought an e60!
Thanks to everyone in advance.

Alex