E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Electrical troubleshooting my new 08 535xiT

Old 09-02-2015, 08:13 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Audi A6 2.7T & Audi Allroad

Happy to report & update with SOME good news, but still some issues that need fixing. And some items that did not fix things..

Replaced the 3-pack of relays with new OEM ones. The old ones looked even worse when unplugged, but that didn't fix anything.

Replaced the TPMS module, and that issue is now FIXED! Was able to reset, and no more error!

Replaced the power tailgate module, and that now WORKS!! But seems VERY very strained. It won't open itself from closed position via the button, but will if you lift it by hand first. But it is also a bit slow, and makes a pretty significant straining noise. I have a feeling it is the hydraulic fluid. BUT, could it need calibrating of sorts? Open to ideas & suggestions..

Replaced the MULF2 module. Saw on some posts that it could be linked to the fact my Bluetooth, Sirius & Aux are all grayed out, possible lack of communication. But it did not change a thing.. Not sure if it needs VIN coding, or if it is also a bad unit (looks fine and was told it was tested/guaranteed) or if it just was not my issue. I read & cleared any codes via Carly, no change..

So, at this point, my main issues are- Bluetooth, Sirius, Aux & USB are all not working and grayed out in iDrive. All modules are present. The Bluetooth one is in a completely dry location, and looks spotless. The Sirius module is in a corner that took in water from roof drains, but is well suspended. I would doubt it got wet. And I am not sure what module the Aux/USB goes through.

The remaining codes I have are leading to the CCC. Before I buy a new iDrive/CCC, I want to be somewhat sure. Everything else about the iDrive seems totally fine. Plays FM & CD fine, Nav works fine, goes through all other menus fine.. Just those few options grayed out..

Also still have a PDC error. Doesn't work & the button flashes. I hate that feature, so unless it is linked, I don't really care.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:33 PM
New Members

Some screen shots from Carly, with error/fault codes-
Attached Thumbnails Electrical troubleshooting my new 08 535xiT-screenshot_2015-09-02-15-40-05.png   Electrical troubleshooting my new 08 535xiT-screenshot_2015-09-02-15-40-24.png   Electrical troubleshooting my new 08 535xiT-screenshot_2015-09-02-15-40-28.png  
Old 09-25-2015, 02:04 PM
New Members

Some good news updates-

Some of the modules that looked OK, were not. And the roof leak was worse than expected. Got the drains all clear now, and replaced some modules.

Power tailgate works now. Module was fried, replaced that. Fluid was very low, topped that off. All good now.

Air suspension seemed it wasn't working either. Car gradually sagged while it sat. Never heard the compressor kick on. Applied direct power to the compressor, and it kicked on. Replaced that module, and compressor kicked on as soon as I plugged the module in.

Sirius module was right in the middle of Niagra Falls, so that is definitely shot. But the Bluetooth module is in a safe, dry place. And that still doesn't work. Not sure if it is that, or my CCC. I do get a few CCC-related errors..

Also replaced the TPMS module, so that works too now. All down to the Bluetooth & Sirius issues it seems. And the PDC, but I am OK with that. Any tips on figuring out if it is the CCC itself or something else I should check first before dumping $5-600 on a CCC?

Thanks all, almost fixed!!
Old 09-25-2015, 07:42 PM
New Members

Oh, and another thing I tried, but did not help, is replacing the MULF2 module. Most of the searches I saw seemed to point fingers at the MULF2 for the issues I have with AUX/USB inputs not being recognized, the "SOS Malfunction" error I am getting, and various Bluetooth issues. So I bought a used one, supposedly tested & all good. It changed nothing. Not sure if there is also some programming that needs to be done, or what. But replacing the MULF2 did nothing for me..
Old 10-07-2015, 02:51 AM
New Members

After some time of doing this here and there, everything is finally fixed! Maybe this can help others in the future.

Roof drains leaked worse than I thought. Even after cleaning the tips out. I borrowed an air compressor and blew additional stuff out, and that did it.

Some modules looked ok, but once I opened them, they were not. A couple of them even looked ok inside, and we're not after all. Cost ended up not that bad. Replaced suspension module, tpms module, hatch module, and filled up the hatch fluid.

What I was very happy about was the audio solution. The Sirius module was right in the line of the water leak on that side. So I knew that was bad. Replacing that alone also made my Bluetooth and aux come back to life!

So, as many others have said, it was all that damn water.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:39 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 535 Xi Touring
Model Year: 2008
Thumbs up Electrical troubleshooting my new 08 535xiT

Hi ENDEE666,

Thank you for helping others (like myself unfortunately) documenting these issues.
My car 2008 535Xi Touring has the same problems as your car had caused by the water rain leaking through the sunroof:
- "SOS system call malfunction!" error message
- FM/AM Radio, Sirius, Aux and Bluetooth are not working
- FM, AM, WB, SAT, AUX, are all grayed out on iDrive screen
- CD still working fine
- Carly for BMW fault codes are:
4. Instrumentation:
Instrument cluster / Kombiinstrument:
- Fault: Phone failure
- Code: 00A554
8. Car Communication Computer CCC:
- Fault: Message failure
- Code: 00E18D
- Fault: Message failure
- Code: 00E18F
I would really appreciate if you can help me in identifying the faulty module:
- is it the FM/AM Radio module?
- is it the Satellite DLP module?
- is it the MULF2-HI module or is something else?

I am interested in fixing the Bluetooth and FM/AM Radio first.

Thank you very much for your help!
Attached Thumbnails Electrical troubleshooting my new 08 535xiT-__modules_underspareweel.jpg   Electrical troubleshooting my new 08 535xiT-__modules_left.jpg  
Old 06-07-2016, 10:31 PM
New Members

I would suggest you replace the Sirius module first. That made my Bluetooth and SOS start working at well as the Sirius, as mentioned above. Otherwise, it could be the main CCC unit or the Mulf unit. All these things are intertwined, so if one is bad, it breaks things up. It's a lot like old Christmas lights Haha..