E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Electrical troubleshooting my new 08 535xiT

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:22 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Audi A6 2.7T & Audi Allroad
Default Electrical troubleshooting my new 08 535xiT

Hello all, and thanks for such a good forum that helped me to decide on a 535xiT I just picked up. New to this car, but not to German cars. Been an Audi guy for a long time. Need some help..

I have been searching & troubleshooting on my own for about a week. Still no luck. I will get to the points, hopefully someone can help. Two main issues-

Sirius module exists, but radio/iDrive does not acknowledge it. It shows, but is grayed out. The module is in the back of the hatch, and hooked up. I checked every single fuse on the back passenger side. What else should I be checking? Someone said if the battery was replaced recently, the car may require re-coding?

Bluetooth & Aux 3.5mm- Also grayed out. Where would that module be? If by the Sirius in back drivers cubby, it's not there. Would it be elsewhere? I also have what looks like an old cell phone connector in the arm rest, which plugs in to a USB & 3.5mm jack. I tried plugging a 3.5mm cable from my phone to that, nothing. Aux input is also grayed out.

Also, back up sensors don't seem to work. Though I do not really care compared to the other 3 issues above.

Thanks to anyone that can help. I have been fiddling & searching for about a week, though I may not be searching for the right things..
Old 08-19-2015, 10:51 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

I wish I could help you.. but my inputs won't be of much help.

I don't have the sirius module in mine at all.

I do have the aux input, which is inside the armrest by the phone holder. I simply plug it in and flip to aux input. It doesn't sound that great anyways. Read up, people usually open it up and cut out a resister since it filters out bass etc. Right above that aux plug I have a USB plug, which I play all my music from a memory stick.

Bluetooth, I also have no answer.. mine simply works.

Coding is definitely a pain in the butt. I think because it's german for one.. but it also requires a bunch of programs.

In the odd case you are looking for a working cable, however, I could sell you one of my extras for what I paid for and it would probably take a day to get to you since I'm in Boston. I got inpatient because I didn't realize mine was shipping from china, and found a closer supplier so I ordered it again.. same cable

If you do actually have all the correct modules, then yes it probably isn't coded in. I'm not sure how it would have been coded off however.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:05 PM
New Members

Thx. I want to find a way to troubleshoot if its coding or if the module isn't getting power or something along those lines.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:13 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

I think you should go to
bmwvin.com and enter your VIN to see if all the said options you're questioning is included in the purchase price.

Just looking at "bmw sirius coding" it seems like first you need the pieces, then bimmertech would help you program it online at a cost. At the same time you can check about the bluetooth etc.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:16 PM
New Members

Now that is helpful! Thank you. I'm all kinds of excited to see what options I have now.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:15 PM
New Members

OK, thank you again for that. The VIN check revealed the following things that may be relevant-

6FL USB-/AUDIO INTERFACE
639 COMPLETE PREP. CELLULAR PHONE USA/CDN
693 SATELLITE TUNER PREPARATION
8SP COP CONTROL

Does "Satellite Tuner Prep" mean it's coded? Or is that just pre-wired or something? Again, the module is there. Though I do not know if it works or not.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:24 PM
New Members

Also, the fuses I checked are in the hatch. Is there another fuse panel that would have fuses for the items in question that I should be checking instead?
Old 08-19-2015, 04:06 PM
New Members

Two updates for info, still no solution. Confirmed the Bluetooth module is in the car and looks clean. Also, found another fuse panel in the glove box. Is that where the fuses for modules are?
Old 08-19-2015, 05:44 PM
New Members

Really starting to think this is a coding/programming issue..

My power tailgate doesn't work. I hoped it was just a bad strut on the passive side. Replaced that, still only holds at halfway mark. Power side does nothing, regardless of what buttons are pushed.

PDC doesn't work. Again, don't like that feature anyway, but might be tied to all this.The PDC button on the dash just flashes.

Previously mentioned issues with Sirius & Bluetooth modules present, but not acknowledged.

There is also a TPMS error, in case that points figures to any other common cause. Though I had a feeling it was a bad sensor or something. Have not looked into that at all.

Car gives an error for "SOS Call Unavailable" or something within a minute of starting up. Assume because it does not think there is any way of making calls.

3.5mm Aux not acknowledged.

Two possible things I can think of besides coding/programming- One, there was a trace of water in rear cubbies after a heavy rain. Have started working on that, all should be well when I am done, but water may have been a factor if that could have shorted anything? Nothing looked or smelled fried, and no corrosion present. But worth a mention. Also- The previous owner said the battery was recently replaced, and PDC has not worked since..

Again, genuinely appreciate any help that can be given. At this point, I am almost hoping for just a coding/programming issue. If as a result it means a few laptop clicks and all these things work as intended..
Old 08-19-2015, 06:02 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530ixt
Default Electrical troubleshooting my new 08 535xiT

Have you looked at the electrical modules under the spare tire in the Styrofoam carrier? Common for that area to flood, ruining modules of which the PDC is one, and relays. BMW put out an update to move them out of that area and into side cubbyholes. They also specified drilling drain holes on the spare tire well. Your problems sound like water intrusion.

Quick Reply: Electrical troubleshooting my new 08 535xiT