E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 SEMA Prep

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 06:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by sterile stork
Great work, Evan! It's certainly a lot of fun to watch you have you had at different projects.

What is your advise for procuring INPA?
Not sure I follow your question, can you please clarify?
Originally Posted by Lotus99
Sweetness... Drool...

What's he going to be running for fuel typically? Can't recall if he runs meth or not.

I'm toying myself with one day upgrading my N54 turbos, and I don't want to bother running meth. For now, luckily, I do have access to an E85 gas station, but I don't know if I can count on that forever, as I don't think the demand is there for the guy to keep running it.

If I was to conservatively aim for upgraded turbos on 94 octane (ours doesn't have ethanol) gas to run the upgraded turbos on, is it worth upgrading? I'm stage 2+ right now.

What about if I could count on E85?

I ask because it seems so many people run the upgraded turbos with meth, and there are hardly any dynos on regular gas or E30 mixes, vs. stock to see the potential bumps in power.
Not sure what you mean with Stage 2+, what mods do you have?

David doesn't have time to tinker like I do so straight 91 pump is likely what he will run, although he has seen my JB4 + tablet setup and likes it, running this would make it easier for someone to datalog and experiment with E85. I am sure once he experiences the performance benefits of ethanol he would be more inclined to add some.

In general I would recommend running E85 over meth if you can, that is my personal opinion, there clearly are benefits to meth but recently guys pushing 500+whp and meth have ran into some serious engine problems due to improper distribution which is the downfall and danger of meth (again IMO). For more conservative tuning and hotter climates it is a great option.

The Hexons feel very strong on David's car (FBO, JB4 Map 5, 91 oct) honestly stronger than I was expecting, especially considering how much weight his E61 lugs around. The stock turbo vs hybrid debate for someone not gung-ho on performance is interesting, reliability will always be an important factor whether oem or hybrid. If you opt for hybrids and run them at more conservative boost levels then they will last longer but why upgrade turbos and run them below their potential? It comes down to what is important to you and what your goals are. Personally I would go for something like Hexons RR550s or Vargas Stage 1. A modest investment but not much more than you would be paying for a new set of oem turbos, increased performance, and reliability SHOULD be equal or better than stock depending how you treat them.

Evan

Originally Posted by pocholin
David and Evan,

Amazing work you guys have done, it is a lot of work! It looks really good and aggressive, a show car for sure!
Old 11-13-2015, 06:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

David blew the CP-UP coupler off while in Vegas. The one supplied by ER was rather short and when looking at their current FMIC kit it looks like they now supply it with a 3" humped coupler.

Pretty sure David received this FMIC as a sponsorship so I called ER and the person who was supposed to call me back never did so I went over to HPS and purchased one of their 4" humped couplers, the added 1" of length and hump should offer some flex and keep this from happening again. I replaced the clamps too for good measure.

Evan

During repair

Old vs. New
Old 11-14-2015, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Not sure I follow your question, can you please clarify?

Not sure what you mean with Stage 2+, what mods do you have?

David doesn't have time to tinker like I do so straight 91 pump is likely what he will run, although he has seen my JB4 + tablet setup and likes it, running this would make it easier for someone to datalog and experiment with E85. I am sure once he experiences the performance benefits of ethanol he would be more inclined to add some.

In general I would recommend running E85 over meth if you can, that is my personal opinion, there clearly are benefits to meth but recently guys pushing 500+whp and meth have ran into some serious engine problems due to improper distribution which is the downfall and danger of meth (again IMO). For more conservative tuning and hotter climates it is a great option.

The Hexons feel very strong on David's car (FBO, JB4 Map 5, 91 oct) honestly stronger than I was expecting, especially considering how much weight his E61 lugs around. The stock turbo vs hybrid debate for someone not gung-ho on performance is interesting, reliability will always be an important factor whether oem or hybrid. If you opt for hybrids and run them at more conservative boost levels then they will last longer but why upgrade turbos and run them below their potential? It comes down to what is important to you and what your goals are. Personally I would go for something like Hexons RR550s or Vargas Stage 1. A modest investment but not much more than you would be paying for a new set of oem turbos, increased performance, and reliability SHOULD be equal or better than stock depending how you treat them.

Evan
Thanks. I've got an E93, so she's almost as heavy as an E61. Stage 2+ is Cobb speak, sorry, forgot about that. I've got DP's, a FMIC and a K&N filter on my 335. I only put about 6000 miles a year on that car, so aiming for longevity I don't think would be a big concern.

Suspension wise, I've put M3 control arms on the front and KW V2's. Debating whether to add sway bars too or not. Or tackle other stuff. Lots seem to say when going up to the upgraded turbo power levels, I should get an LSD as well. Would you say it should be mandatory? That's another few thousand dollars too otherwise...

I've gotten most of my info over the years from E90post, and there, it seemed that RB Turbo started the upgrades, then VTT joined (though lately have gotten a lot of bad publicity it seems due to high failure rates, and bad customer service? ), and now Hexon is on the scene and Pure I heard is coming too.

I don't know how many stages Vargas has anymore. They only have one type on their site, for $3000 a pair (same as RB's), but at one point, they were talking about stage 2 turbos they had released, so I don't know what is what...

You seem to be good with the VTT brand? You didn't mention the RB's?

Lastly, getting back to my question about approximate power levels, how much of a bump do you think one would get going from stock turbos to upgraded ones, on 94 octane, and to upgrades on E30 map? Just trying to see if it's worth the cost in getting the upgrades in the first place, since I'll be paying to have them installed as well...
Old 11-16-2015, 08:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Thanks. I've got an E93, so she's almost as heavy as an E61. Stage 2+ is Cobb speak, sorry, forgot about that. I've got DP's, a FMIC and a K&N filter on my 335. I only put about 6000 miles a year on that car, so aiming for longevity I don't think would be a big concern.

Suspension wise, I've put M3 control arms on the front and KW V2's. Debating whether to add sway bars too or not. Or tackle other stuff. Lots seem to say when going up to the upgraded turbo power levels, I should get an LSD as well. Would you say it should be mandatory? That's another few thousand dollars too otherwise...

I've gotten most of my info over the years from E90post, and there, it seemed that RB Turbo started the upgrades, then VTT joined (though lately have gotten a lot of bad publicity it seems due to high failure rates, and bad customer service? ), and now Hexon is on the scene and Pure I heard is coming too.

I don't know how many stages Vargas has anymore. They only have one type on their site, for $3000 a pair (same as RB's), but at one point, they were talking about stage 2 turbos they had released, so I don't know what is what...

You seem to be good with the VTT brand? You didn't mention the RB's?

Lastly, getting back to my question about approximate power levels, how much of a bump do you think one would get going from stock turbos to upgraded ones, on 94 octane, and to upgrades on E30 map? Just trying to see if it's worth the cost in getting the upgrades in the first place, since I'll be paying to have them installed as well...

I have no experience on the LSD side of things as I have AWD put all my power down! lol But in all seriousness the LSD is becoming a "necessary" mod for higher-hp RWD guys which makes complete sense. If may be able to find a deal on the forums or even eBay if you are persistent.

Add N54Tech and Bimmerboost to your forums to frequent, E90post has a larger audience but I find the quality of information to be much higher on those forums, especially N54Tech.

I have no loyalty to any brand, both Rob and Tony have been great to work/communicate with and although I have no personal experience with their turbos I have installed or currently use their other products with satisfactory results. Hexon turbos were a better option for me considering my goals and priorities, I have no regrets with the Hexons and they are performing better than I had hoped.

Regarding power levels with your setup, it really depends on how it is tuned, I would search the forums for dynos with similar mods/fuel to see what people are making.

Evan
Old 11-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Thanks Evan, I'll keep all that stuff in mind. This modding stuff is a total slippery slope... LOL. I can see how to add the turbos, I'll need to do an LSD and other stuff too... Though I'd end up with a 550+ crank HP monster, which isn't too bad!
Old 11-19-2015, 03:38 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xDrive

"Flashed the transmission with the SAT File."

I have an e61 awd. Can you tell me what is the benefits on this? Thanks.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 801535
"Flashed the transmission with the SAT File."

I have an e61 awd. Can you tell me what is the benefits on this? Thanks.
Google "BMW E60 SAT Flash"