E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 Remote Key Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like many others, I've had my remote key stop working on my 2006 530XTi. I followed the advice on the forum and checked out the diversity antenna amplifier. As others have said it was only a 15 minute job. The one I had was corroded (see picture) due to the dumb location which exposes it to salt water. In any event, I replaced it with a new diversity antenna amplifier and voila, it worked ...once (key toggled the locks up and down) and then died. The radio works fine. Any thoughts?

Carl
Attached Thumbnails E61 Remote Key Problem-cimg2580.jpg  
Old 06-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Members

Carl, As I type, my 2006 530xiT's at the dealer for the same issue. In my case, AM reception was fine however the remote would randomly not work at all. The tech diagnosed a problem with the KBM module, which is being replaced (under warranty) and is in the process of reprogramming the car overnight. I should get it back tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:25 AM
Members

UPDATE The new KBM module solved some of the issues but not all of them. They will be contacting a BMW electrical engineer to see if it's a software problem or something else. I mentioned the diversity antenna and possible broken wires along the hinge. The tailgate window latch was replaced due to broken wires, causing the window to pop open when wet. I saw the broken wires, which were quite thin and brittle.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Members

Thanks for the response.I haven't had mine to the dealer yet but will probably do so next. I'll also have to check out the KBM module. Unfortunately, my car is out of warranty so I have to make a judgment call on how much I want to invest in what is a convenience item.

Carl
Old 06-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

This morning I got the same problem on my sep/09 production Touring. Both remotes had zero response of any kind but door opened nicely with the key and no problem starting.

I washed the car yesterday and opened the rear glass and washed along the edges on the plastic where a lot of dust collects. I was sure it was water that ran down the glass and into the roof spoiler, frying the diversity antenna.

Checked a few threads, like http://www.fixya.com/cars/t623671-bm...ontrol_problem and http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152230 to narrow it down.

Saw that there may be a few issues:

- battery getting weak
- diversity antenna blown
- fuse blown, or loose
- re-initialization of key

The key initialization didn't do a thing and my battery is otherwise fine so just before I ordered a new antenna module, I thought I'd check the fuses (glove compartment only).. They were all good, but lo and behold, after re-insertion the keyfob now works beautifully. Problem solved!

I hope it lasts...

So if you have this issue, check the fuses and be sure they are properly reinserted; you might get lucky too!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Old 06-06-2011, 02:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
I thought I'd check the fuses (glove compartment only).. They were all good, but lo and behold, after re-insertion the keyfob now works beautifully. Problem solved!

I hope it lasts...

So if you have this issue, check the fuses and be sure they are properly reinserted; you might get lucky too!
Do you recall which fuse it was and if so, did it power anything else? Not to be a kill joy but my problem has been intermittent. The dealer did check my keys and they're okay.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Senior Members

check the fusecard here http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...935/page2.html

mine is the same; but do note I have a European Diesel Touring; I don't know if there are differences in fusebox layout - doubt it though, as there are many empty slots and it looks very configurable.

Note the window symbol with a key; it states that fuses 10, 11, 12, 18, 22, 24, 27, 29, and 36 are involved in central locking. My car doesn't have fuse nr 36 but I checked all the others and they all appeared good. When I pulled out nr 29 (or possibly 27), the gong and "car on a lift" symbol came on and disappeared shortly after; but otherwise I saw or heard nothing when I pulled the fuses out and put them back in.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Members

The diversity antenna checked out fine so the dealer's now replacing the rear wiring harness. It will be interesting to see if broken wiring causing the KBM module to fail or a defective KBM module caused wiring problems.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Members

Hi, what happened after replacing wiring harness? My dlr said the wiring is fine so I ordered new key but haven't received it yet.

Quick Reply: E61 Remote Key Problem