E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 - Heated Rear Window - cheap and easy fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:44 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 535D
Default E61 - Heated Rear Window - cheap and easy fix

Hello Forum members!

My name is Paul and I'm a new member as I joined yesterday (!) to look at a pdf. file on how to get at the heated rear window (HRW) wiring on my newly acquitted 2005 535d. After disconnecting the HRW from the harness feed and earth wires and doing a resistance check to ensure that it was intact, I then checked that I was getting 12volts on the right-hand side red & white harness wire (HRW dashboard switch on and engine running). Next I checked the brown earth wire for continuity to earth and discovered that it was open circuit.

On removing the rear speaker and undoing the single screw holding the wiring plug to the roof, I traced the break in the thick brown wire to a position between the left-hand rear speaker and the entrance to the metal curved channel. The wire was completely broken and judging by the blackish oxidised look on the very end of the earth wire going back into the car's harness, it had been broken for some time.

Unfortunately, time was short and I didn't have any spare wire of the correct thickness to insert a complete new piece. So, I cut the brown wire, put a crimp on it and placed it underneath one of the nuts securing the window to the hinge.

Voila, the HRW now works perfectly with the added bonus that there is now less chance of that wire breaking again (as it's not being bent when the tailgate lifts) and there is more room in the metal channel for the rear washer pipe and the radio aerial!

In the picture, the black insulating tape over the brown wire is because I accidentally sliced through some of the insulation when removing the BMW black harness tape!

Great forum and I'm glad I joined!! Thanks.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails E61 - Heated Rear Window - cheap and easy fix-img_0506.jpg   E61 - Heated Rear Window - cheap and easy fix-img_0507.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
HopX (02-17-2024)
Old 08-07-2014, 02:04 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 1999 BMW 528i, 2005 530i Touring MS

I did exactly the same thing to my own a couple of weeks back for the same reason. If only the other wiring faults were as easy to fix...
Old 01-12-2015, 07:49 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530xi wagon

Do you have any photos taken farther out. Can't picture where this is on the car. TIA
Old 01-12-2015, 09:21 PM
New Members

Fair play. Good way to fix that as I suppose it'll be earthed on the body work there. Lucky that the broken wire didn't melt the water hose or coax.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:43 AM
New Members

Model Year: 2005
Engine: 535D

Originally Posted by Bmulder
Do you have any photos taken farther out. Can't picture where this is on the car. TIA

Hi BMulder,

I don't have any photos from further out but the location is underneath the tailgate spoiler at the top of the rear window.

Paul
Old 10-28-2020, 05:45 AM
Probation Members

My Ride: E61 325d touring
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by grila
Hello Forum members!

My name is Paul and I'm a new member as I joined yesterday (!) to look at a pdf. file on how to get at the heated rear window (HRW) wiring on my newly acquitted 2005 535d. After disconnecting the HRW from the harness feed and earth wires and doing a resistance check to ensure that it was intact, I then checked that I was getting 12volts on the right-hand side red & white harness wire (HRW dashboard switch on and engine running). Next I checked the brown earth wire for continuity to earth and discovered that it was open circuit.

On removing the rear speaker and undoing the single screw holding the wiring plug to the roof, I traced the break in the thick brown wire to a position between the left-hand rear speaker and the entrance to the metal curved channel. The wire was completely broken and judging by the blackish oxidised look on the very end of the earth wire going back into the car's harness, it had been broken for some time.

Unfortunately, time was short and I didn't have any spare wire of the correct thickness to insert a complete new piece. So, I cut the brown wire, put a crimp on it and placed it underneath one of the nuts securing the window to the hinge.

Voila, the HRW now works perfectly with the added bonus that there is now less chance of that wire breaking again (as it's not being bent when the tailgate lifts) and there is more room in the metal channel for the rear washer pipe and the radio aerial!

In the picture, the black insulating tape over the brown wire is because I accidentally sliced through some of the insulation when removing the BMW black harness tape!

Great forum and I'm glad I joined!! Thanks.

Paul
Thank you so much..
Just carried out this repair and HRW now working as BMW intended...
Old 11-03-2020, 12:23 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ‘08 535Xi Touring 6-sp, ‘85 M635CSi

This is a great short cut...but any suggestions on reconnecting the washer hose in there?
Washer and defroster are my only tailgate issues and I would like to avoid the whole process for just those two.