E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

535xi Catless Downpipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 10:05 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: E61 535xi
Default 535xi Catless Downpipes

Hello everyone,

I am looking into catless downpipes for my 535xi.

So far, it looks like AR Design has been revived, and then there is VRSF Xi specific downpipes.

All of the threads I can find for the VRSF Xi downpipes don't fit right, but, they are older threads (like 3+ years old.)

Do the Xi specific VRSF downpipes fit well now, without modification?

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-14-2020, 06:55 AM
New Members

No one?
Old 09-14-2020, 09:00 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 bmw 535i wagon 6MT 89k
Default Cat less downpipes

I just took one set off my 6At 2010 e61 because my wife didn’t like them. Actually, I have a set of catless dps, chargepipe with BOV, Fmic, and intake (all brand name and not Ebay crap VRSM, BMS dont remember) that came out of the car. They all fit well and went in (October 2019) and came out last week effortlessly (overall for my Mechanic). It’s a tight fit on some of the stuff and having the new parts with brackets and mounting hardware certainly makes things easier. But it is very different from the stock experience. It’s stinkier and you’ll get some codes and CELs. You’ll need a jb4 or something to clear those codes. The O2 sensors don’t play well with these modifications and require some time to tune correctly. The car was running great though with the kids and new plugs and coils.

i can compare those to the catted downpipes which are much more civilized. It’s triple the price but much more family friendly. Happy to talk you through.

i have 4 e61 wagons 2 manual and two auto so I know. One is currently getting clutch, fueling, pure DD turbos and much more.

if I could do just the minimal to get the most bang for my buck I’d do the intercooler, chargepipe (to avoid plastic OeM garbage) and a JB4. Maybe the air intake for an extra $200. The downpipes aren’t critical.

i ran the car with just the downpipes swapped to stock and it was great too but the wife wasn’t pleased.

Fmic

Dp

Chargepipe with BOV
The following 2 users liked this post by Bennhct:
JoshMcMadMac (09-15-2020), Longroof-bighead (09-21-2023)
Old 09-15-2020, 07:24 AM
New Members

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: Deep Sea Blue E61 535xi

I thought about doing this but just couldn't bring myself to want to go thru all the trouble on an xi car to pick up what might be somewhere along the lines of only a 5-10% bump in HP/TQ.
If you're not already running MHD I'd just put the money in a tune and call it a day.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:28 AM
New Members

Hey Benn,

I PMd you.

Car is already MHD Stage1+, XHP transmission tune, Xdelete, etc.

Want to do downpipes, intercooler and replace my OEM charge pipe.
Eventually, inlets with some 17T's.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:59 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by icantfindaname2
...Car is already MHD Stage1+, XHP transmission tune, Xdelete, etc.

Want to do downpipes, intercooler and replace my OEM charge pipe.
Eventually, inlets with some 17T's.
Geez, I'll shut up then. Your grand plans are far beyond mine! LOL
That said, are you loving xDelete as much as I am? I have the AWD completely disabled for Summer fun, though I'm sure I'll re-enable it once the snowy stuff drops.
And what xHP Stage are you running? I've always defaulted to Stage 1, as Stage 2 always shifts too hard and too high in the RPM range, even at low speeds and RPMs. This was especially true for the 1-to-2 shift, even in the 2009 335i I sold to make room for the E61.

Last edited by MysticRob; 09-15-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:04 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by MysticRob
Geez, I'll shut up then. Your grand plans are far beyond mine! LOL
That said, are you loving xDelete as much as I am? I have the AWD completely disabled for Summer fun, though I'm sure I'll re-enable it once the snowy stuff drops.

I have a few different cars, want a fast daily driver, want to be able to hang around with the LS powered cars in the area lol. Helix HPFP over drive, 17T turbos and a new LPFP should get me to my ~450awhp goal on 93. hopefully.

I'll be honest, I did not notice much difference with xDelete.

When I want to drive something fun in the turns, I grab my Z4M or my autocross prep'd MINI lol!

I also did not notice any increase in MPG, but, sliding around in the rain in a 4000lb sled sure is fun!!!!
Old 09-15-2020, 08:13 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by icantfindaname2

...I'll be honest, I did not notice much difference with xDelete.
...I also did not notice any increase in MPG, but, sliding around in the rain in a 4000lb sled sure is fun!!!!
With xDelete I really noticed reduced understeer at speed, and greatly reduced steering effort at low parking lot-like speeds, which itself made the purchase worth it for me.
I doubt the MPGs are improved beyond a couple imperceptible percent since I always read the BMW AWD system is pretty efficient.
Now if I could buy an app to delete the added AWD weight that would be nice.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:55 PM
New Members

jb4. XDelete. Fbo on 6MT. Getting Pure Dds clutch flywheel lpfp etc. I paid 14k for the car. I’ll put another 10k in total and have a 500hp luxury beast for the price of a Civic. I like that math.

i didn’t notice much with xDelete but the JB4 is an absolute must with its safety features. I’m sure you can do a lot more with it than I am doing if you get serious about performance upgrades like WMI. I like my trunk space.

i think I’m done after this round of modifications but maybe coil overs. The sport struts with lowering springs are not a comfortable ride.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:07 PM
New Members

Sunday I drove about 60 miles in a pack with a Gt3, 2 - 911 turbos, 2 modified GTIs, and a modified WRX. All gorgeous badass cars. The wagon held it’s own. Unsafe speeds on some of Ct/sNY’s best driving roadS: 84 to The Taconic Parkway. Maybe the Merritt is better. All fun. One stupid acceleration after another. I’ll never forget the half hour.

Quick Reply: 535xi Catless Downpipes