E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 antenna location / shark fin

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 11:43 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d m sport touring, carbon black with beige leather, panoramic roof, xenons, media pack, memory seats
Default E61 antenna location / shark fin

This is my first posting and apologise should this matter have been answered before.
I recently took the plunge and bought a cosmetically neglected 2005 e61 535d msport touring. Carbon black with beige leather. After having a fair amount of 'scuff repairs' sorted I looked forward to be let loose with the promised performance. Not disappointed, drive is a nice cruiser, pop into sport and time for fun. Far more grip than my merc e350 and I love the steering feel.
Now the additional list of faults and a rapid learning curve. So have quickly had the following carried out.
Unblocked panoramic roof drain at rear, before water ingress.
Had rear camber sorted, one rear was at 4 degrees and looked it too.
Glass tailgate stuck shut, a new switch fitted and now working.
New ignition key reader fitted as key would fall out before.
Swirl flaps removed.
The local bmw independent has investigated the poor fm radio reception and said that I need a new glass tailgate as that is the antenna position. It has a shark fin aerial and I thought the fault would be hinge wiring or diversity amp. Don't want to appear a fool at the garage, so could they be correct?
Old 03-12-2015, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you've read up on what typically goes wrong with our cars!

I'm pretty sure I posted the antenna locations as a PDF before. Try to search for posts by me on that topic. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2015, 12:14 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 535d m sport touring, carbon black with beige leather, panoramic roof, xenons, media pack, memory seats

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I found your e60 pdc posting showing the fm antenna in the rear window element. So I have to accept the indie garage are partly correct.
Although I suspect there are connections to clean and check before resorting to a new rear window (which seems excessive).
Old 03-15-2015, 11:40 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61

You've definitely done your homework. I'd also check the integrity of the coax cable which is located on the left hand inside hinge. If that's broken it would affect the reception.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:15 AM
New Members

Well the update of this is:

The Mechanic located high resistance in the rear window, so although I have a heated rear window, the aerial element appears burnt out or damaged.

So this weekend I stripped the rear spoiler off to check the diversity amp and the cables through the hinges.

I disconnected the black antenna connection leading from the amp to the head unit and tested the cable by loose connecting a cable. Success I obtained a signal to the radio.

I now need to fit an after market antenna. Was considering a 'bee sting antenna' on the roof, but there isn't much room behind the shark fin, and as I have a full length panoramic sunroof I am not sure if it would be a good idea fitting an antenna in front of the shark fin. The other option is a glass mount antenna on either of the fixed rear windows.

I have heard that people fit a magnetic antenna internally in the boot of the E60, but that there is not a suitable position on the E61.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.