E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Couple questions about the wife's "new" ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 09:09 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 530 xiT
Default Couple questions about the wife's "new" ride

What's up internet. Picked up an '07 530 xiT for the wife this weekend and have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can help me with, as all my Bimmer experience is with the 3 series. This is our first 5 series.

1. The chrome on the auto shift lever is flaking off and looks like crap. Can I swap in an shift lever from an e90? Or is the auto shifter for the e60/e61 different from the e90? I know everyone seems to think the SMG lever is the bees knees, but I don't. I think it looks kinda goofy. Just a personal preference.

2. Car appears to have iPod integration already, as there is a factory iPod cable in the glovebox, but it won't recognize or charge the wife's 6th gen iPod nano. Any ideas as to why that may be? Is there a trick to getting the stereo to recognize the iPod? Is her iPod maybe too new?

3. It's got snow tires on the factory (sport package) 18s so I'm going to be putting some new wheels on it in the spring. Thinking of going with 20s, but am wondering if anyone is running a square setup with 245/35/20 tires. If so any major rubbing issues at stock height?

Those are 3/4" larger in diameter than the 18s on it now, and since we won't be lowering it I think that will help fill the wheel wells a tad and provide a slightly better ride than a 30 series 20" tire will.

Thanks a million 5 series gurus! Look forward to being an active part of this community!
Old 12-21-2015, 12:57 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 530 xiT

Cool. Thanks mods for moving this to the place where threads go to die.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:39 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

Originally Posted by rattmobbins
What's up internet. Picked up an '07 530 xiT for the wife this weekend and have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can help me with, as all my Bimmer experience is with the 3 series. This is our first 5 series.

1. The chrome on the auto shift lever is flaking off and looks like crap. Can I swap in an shift lever from an e90? Or is the auto shifter for the e60/e61 different from the e90? I know everyone seems to think the SMG lever is the bees knees, but I don't. I think it looks kinda goofy. Just a personal preference.

I heard there were "kits" to change it. The auto knob is supposed to come apart via the plastic. I did try to yank it off.. I got it to only come up a bit and turn but it seems locked in some way. I didn't pursue it since my paint is only a little bit chipped. Please let me know what you find if anything.

2. Car appears to have iPod integration already, as there is a factory iPod cable in the glovebox, but it won't recognize or charge the wife's 6th gen iPod nano. Any ideas as to why that may be? Is there a trick to getting the stereo to recognize the iPod? Is her iPod maybe too new?

My thoughts are that it may be too new if it already has the ipod kit. I'm certainly not sure what the limitations are. The funny thing is on the wife's new car her ipod was actually too old to work.. haha.

3. It's got snow tires on the factory (sport package) 18s so I'm going to be putting some new wheels on it in the spring. Thinking of going with 20s, but am wondering if anyone is running a square setup with 245/35/20 tires. If so any major rubbing issues at stock height?

I have that size on my 19's and it's lowered.. so no problems at all rubbing.. tons of room to go.

Those are 3/4" larger in diameter than the 18s on it now, and since we won't be lowering it I think that will help fill the wheel wells a tad and provide a slightly better ride than a 30 series 20" tire will.

Thanks a million 5 series gurus! Look forward to being an active part of this community!
Hope your thread doesn't die.. I saw it on the top of the new post list.