E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Cooling System Refresh Advice Needed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 06:54 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007
Default Cooling System Refresh Advice Needed!!!!

I have a bone stock 07 530XiT which just recently crossed over 60Kmi. I had noticed my coolant level dropping recently so I replaced the usual sensor on the lower radiator hose. Now more recently, I am noticing some coolant on my underbelly pan. Closer inspection and research indicates that it is my radiator that is leaking. So...now the big question is: do I simply replace the radiator or do I do a full refresh as the folks at Turner motorsports ( E60 525i/530i/xi 2006-2007 Auto Transmission Cooling Overhaul Package - Turner Motorsport ) suggest one do. All the work seems simple enough....it's a matter of whether to spend $800 or $250. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

-r
Old 02-14-2016, 12:40 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530xi Sportwagen
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Based on what I have learned about the E60/E61 transmission, I say flush the transmission every 35-40K miles. If there is ANY shifting hesitation or concern, immediately replace solenoids in the valve body.

Given that you are at 60K, I would recommend the full transmission service along with the radiator replacement. Although, $250 to replace the radiator sounds REALLY good. In my area, the labor alone would be $175 an hour.

Jose
Old 02-14-2016, 03:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DaHose
Based on what I have learned about the E60/E61 transmission, I say flush the transmission every 35-40K miles. If there is ANY shifting hesitation or concern, immediately replace solenoids in the valve body.

Given that you are at 60K, I would recommend the full transmission service along with the radiator replacement. Although, $250 to replace the radiator sounds REALLY good. In my area, the labor alone would be $175 an hour.

Jose
Well, since my plan is to keep the wagon for a long time, I did a complete tranny fluid/pan/sleeve replacement when I bought it a couple of years ago and it only had 32kmi on it.

The radiator can be had from numerous places for around $200 plus fluid and misc. parts and shipping it's about $250. I can do the work myself since it's a comically simple process.

-r
Old 02-14-2016, 03:36 PM
New Members

My Ride: 1985 M635, 2010 e61
Model Year: 1985

Looking at the Turner site in the link above, it looks like the main added cost is the electric water pump. Since I am new to this setup it's hard to give a recommendation other than do you research (if you haven't already) and see what the consensus is for water pumps failing at what milage. In the records I got with my car, nearing 100k, I don't see any mention of the water pump being replaced. Doesn't mean anything, but it's a data point.

Whatever you do, please post a walk through of the steps you take and any mental notes you make along the way. I'm sure I'll be doing this shortly myself...

Thanks,

Eric
Old 02-14-2016, 03:46 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530xi Sportwagen
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Electric water pump? Interesting.... I need to go through the Bentley and really dig through how the engine is put together.

Good to hear you can do your own work. If you already flushed the tranny, then just re-use fluid and plan on rebuilding the valve body at just past 80K. The solenoids are about $500, but that cost way beats a new transmission. I like to buy my parts from FCPEuro. Sure, anyone can get BMW or OE parts, but FCPEuro offers a lifetime warranty on all parts they sell. There is nobody out there who can beat that.

Jose
Old 02-14-2016, 05:18 PM
New Members

My Ride: 1985 M635, 2010 e61
Model Year: 1985

Jose,

Can you give us some more details on the tranny valve solenoids? Why do you want to replace them? What are signs that they need to be replaced? What happens if 1 (or more) fail? Also, when working on the tranny I know you replace the pan/filer and fluid, anything else?

On a separate, but related, topic, what happens when the electric water pump craps out? Are there virtual safety valves in the system that shut the engine off if it starts to overheat, or do you just get the red light of imminent engine death? The reason I'm asking is, if there is a way for the water pump to die, but not kill the engine, you could buy the lifetime water pump from FCPEuro and just send it back in for another one when it fails.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 02-14-2016, 06:05 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by DaHose
then just re-use fluid and plan on rebuilding the valve body at just past 80K.
???
Old 02-15-2016, 01:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ericono
On a separate, but related, topic, what happens when the electric water pump craps out? Are there virtual safety valves in the system that shut the engine off if it starts to overheat, or do you just get the red light of imminent engine death? The reason I'm asking is, if there is a way for the water pump to die, but not kill the engine, you could buy the lifetime water pump from FCPEuro and just send it back in for another one when it fails.

Thanks,

Eric
This is pretty much why I brought this up....I was hoping someone would chime in on how true it is that the electric pump arbitrarily dies.

-r
Old 02-15-2016, 03:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by oclvframe
This is pretty much why I brought this up....I was hoping someone would chime in on how true it is that the electric pump arbitrarily dies.

-r
arbitrary water pump failure on a BMW?? Yes. It's been like that for decades. Still holds true for the electric pumps on N5X engines such as yours.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:25 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 Manual E61

Mine died at 80,000k in the E61. No warning and since we do not have any water temp gauges, big red warning light is all I got along with a VERY hot engine compartment. Luckily in was 10F in December but I was out of town so had to go to a dealer to get it replaced.

After asking around, it sounds like they typically have a 70,000 mile life span.

Quick Reply: Cooling System Refresh Advice Needed!!!!