E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Coilover Roll Call - KW - FK - JRZ - ISC - Lets hear your Review!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:23 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: 535xi Wagon
Model Year: 2010
Talking Coilover Roll Call - KW - FK - JRZ - ISC - Lets hear your Review!

I wanted to create a thread about the options of coilovers for our cars and hopefully we can have some reviews from the people that are running them. I have searched for reviews myself but a lot of users only seem to think that KW is the only coilover for our cars. There are a hand full of companies KW, JRZ, ISC, FK that all make kits for our cars ranging all over for the price points. Another reason why I made this thread is because I am looking to buy a coilover setup and wanted to hear for users about what they are running, experience, install troubles, handing, long term use ect ect.

What's available that I know of for our cars.

JRZ – Looks as though @RIHI has had JRZ made him a set for his E61. I know this company very well and they are amazing. Hands down going to be the best option for our cars. I have done reviews on them for other cars and they live up to their name on and off the track. Although with the top tier comes the top price.

EDIT Note with this kit the rear airbags are still in place, and only the fronts are replaced.
  • Price point - $2,830 (Not sure if price include springs)
  • Model Number – Unknown need to call the company
  • Spring Rate – Unknown
  • Retains Auto Leveling - Yes (Does not replace air bags with springs in the rear)

KW V3 (Variant 3) – This is a popular choice for our cars mostly because users think this is the only choice. I have them in my 335i and they are a great coil over one step down from the club sports. Some people claim that its hard having them set up just right, but I would bet that most people don’t go to a pro-shop after install and have them corner balanced / damper and rebound set correctly. Seeing as they are the same price for the JRZ going with JRZ is a no brainer as I would say they are well above in quality and performance.

EDIT After finding out the JRZ kit does not replace the rear air bags I would consider the KW V3 as an on-par option or better all things considered.
  • Price Point - $2,800
  • Model Number – 35220074
  • Spring Rate – Unknown
  • Retains Auto Leveling - Yes (Does not replace air bags with springs in the rear)

FK Automotive – This company uses custom Koni shocks and is made in Germany. I have not found many reviews on them but considering the quality inserts (on Select Models) that is saying something. They also have a few different models available. – Highsport, Konigsport, Silverline. Silverline is the top end and features corrosion resistant bodies.
  • Price Point - $500 - $1100
  • Model number - FKXKKBM96 - ( Silverline Plus – Adjustable Damping – Koni - stainless)
  • FKXBM96 - ( Silverline – Fixed Damping - Stainless)
  • FKKKBM96 – ( Konigsport Adjustable Damping – Koni – non-stainless)
  • FKBM96 – ( Highsport – Non-adjustable – Non-stainless – Lowest end model)
  • Spring rate- Unknown
  • Retains Auto Leveling - No (Replaces air bags with springs in the rear)

ISC Suspension – This is a company from NH. They are sold through bimmerworld and I have talked to them about these coilovers and they stand behind the product. They are very popular with the E36 / E46 track guys so that’s mostly were the reviews are. What I like about these is that you can run them with swift springs and if you know that company they are the best you can get.
  • Price Point - $950
  • Model Number - B006-1B
  • Spring Rate – They have assorted rates so I would call the company. Both Track and Street of custom if you go swift.
  • Retains Auto Leveling - No (Replaces air bags with springs in the rear)

So that about sums it up for the coilover options. Please share your input a decent review and hopefully we can build this up to show users some good options to pick from.

Last edited by Island Road; 07-21-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:08 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW

It includes the springs.

The E61 variant is now on their website.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:08 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by RIHI
It includes the springs.

The E61 variant is now on their website.
Good to note. Did not see it their site JRZ Suspension: custom shock absorbers for race, road, rally, BMW, Porsche, Nissan

What are the spring rates?
Old 02-03-2015, 12:10 PM
New Members

I don't remember, but I asked for Swift springs for my system.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:51 AM
New Members

I don't remember, but I asked for Swift springs for my system.
I am guessing you have your setup based more for street then track then?

Do you have a link to the product?

Bump for reviews from users. If you have any of these lets hear your opinions.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:40 AM
New Members

I have it set at 6 of 10 for the rear compression and 4 clicks out of 24 for rebound. The fronts are 6 clicks compression out of 14 for compression and 6 clicks out of 24 for rebound. There's quite a bit of adjustment left.

The car is totally predictable and I am very sure I can take it to the track with a little more fine tuning of the dampers. The thing I like the most is that it irons out the bumps in the road without taking out the feel and being too harsh. Even a friend who owns an AMG CLK63 Black Edition (equipped with KW V3 coilovers) have commented on how much better the suspension in my E61 is compared to his CLK,. So much as, he is selling his KW V3 and having a set of JRZ suspension done for his CLK.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 E61 535i xdrive

I'm another Boston-based E61 interested in installing coilovers this spring. I was going to go with KW V3, but this thread has piqued my interest in JRZ and others.

Regarding the JRZ: my E61 is built to be a sporty baby hauler (some say it's impossible, but I disagree). I still want comfort that approaches stock--and can keep a baby asleep over small bumps and transitions--while reducing the boatyness of the current suspension platform. I'm NOT interested in a track setup. How does the JRZ fare in this department? How is the lowering in the rear accomplished? And finally, I'm considering replacing my rear air shock when doing all this work (car is at 100K). Has anyone else done this or have thoughts on it?

Thanks. Good thread--I'll be watching.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:34 AM
New Members

Let me try and answer your questions.
1. You can adjust your compression to the minimum and you should approach the stock. I am currently at the 5th click (i checked and instead of 6 it is at 5) on the firmness/compression adjustment and there is still quite a bit to go. When we first installed the system, I set the dampers at minimum, and it was very close to stock. I have spacers so it was rubbing (both front and rear) even when I was just accelerating from a stop or take a freeway exit. At the current setup, I no longer have rubbing issues. My wife even commented how smooth the car is on the freeway.
2. The kit comes with two adjustable links you can use to adjust the rear air bags to the desired height. I was very lucky, as Evan was kind enough to adjust the rear airbags to my desired height.
3. The air bags should be easy enough to replace. I've seen videos but haven't done it myself.
All I can say is i am glad I went with JRZ rather than just going with KWs.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:45 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by grilledcheese
I'm another Boston-based E61 interested in installing coilovers this spring. I was going to go with KW V3, but this thread has piqued my interest in JRZ and others.

Regarding the JRZ: my E61 is built to be a sporty baby hauler (some say it's impossible, but I disagree). I still want comfort that approaches stock--and can keep a baby asleep over small bumps and transitions--while reducing the boatyness of the current suspension platform. I'm NOT interested in a track setup. How does the JRZ fare in this department? How is the lowering in the rear accomplished? And finally, I'm considering replacing my rear air shock when doing all this work (car is at 100K). Has anyone else done this or have thoughts on it?

Thanks. Good thread--I'll be watching.
The E61 suspension nothing much to be desired although that being said the JRZ is track focused. Unless you are really going all out I would say the KW V3 along with the JRZ are a huge overkill. Honestly I would look at FK and ISC for an alternative.

Considering the FK Silverlines are made with Koni Struts and Shocks I think this is the route I am going to take. Great price point, and made with quality points along with being adjustable.

Also with all the coilover kits the horrible air bags are deleted. The bags offer a very confront ride and are not going to compete with shocks for more sprinted driving. If you go with any of the coilovers you will not need the airbags anymore. The removal of the pump can also take place as well so somewhat of a weight savings. Although if you ever need to adjust the rear air bags it literally takes minutes with INPA no hardware needed.

EDIT: Just saw that JRZ only come with front shocks and don't replace the rears.

Last edited by Island Road; 07-21-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:47 PM
New Members

Let me try and answer your questions.
1. You can adjust your compression to the minimum and you should approach the stock. I am currently at the 5th click (i checked and instead of 6 it is at 5) on the firmness/compression adjustment and there is still quite a bit to go. When we first installed the system, I set the dampers at minimum, and it was very close to stock. I have spacers so it was rubbing (both front and rear) even when I was just accelerating from a stop or take a freeway exit. At the current setup, I no longer have rubbing issues. My wife even commented how smooth the car is on the freeway.
2. The kit comes with two adjustable links you can use to adjust the rear air bags to the desired height. I was very lucky, as Evan was kind enough to adjust the rear airbags to my desired height.
3. The air bags should be easy enough to replace. I've seen videos but haven't done it myself.
All I can say is i am glad I went with JRZ rather than just going with KWs.
Wait the JRZ don't replace the rear airbags? No wonder why they are so cheap and the same price as the KW V3. Knowing this I can't saw I would recommend them only receiving half the parts. Yes they are great shocks but you are only receiving the fronts. For myself if i am paying that much I want the whole setup. I will adjust the front post to note this.

Last edited by Island Road; 02-05-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Coilover Roll Call - KW - FK - JRZ - ISC - Lets hear your Review!