E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Coilover Roll Call - KW - FK - JRZ - ISC - Lets hear your Review!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 02:42 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: 535xi Wagon
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by grilledcheese
Thanks everybody. Given the approach of the "top" manufacturers to the E61 suspension, my intuition is that: a) the self-leveling functionality is perceived to be very important (RIHI's point, which I agree with); b) the air springs, when combined with an improved shock are not that bad from a performance standpoint; or c) both of the above.

This is precisely why I was considering installing new OEM air springs when doing this coilover project. Rather than viewing them as hindrances, it seems that these manufacturers are considering them an important part of the overall system.
I don't see how its important at all actually. If anything its one more thing to go wrong on the E61 and with JRZ along with KW you are not really getting a true aftermarket coilover.

I just spoke with KW about this and he said if you wanted something more performance orientated he would suggest to do away with the airbag aka auto-leveling system. I also spoke with FK Automotive and they do away with the self leveling and its a true coilover.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:36 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW

If you wanted to get a TRUE coilover kit just order the rear shocks with the rear springs and you're done. It is the same shock and spring for an E60 xDrive without the rear leveling suspension. For folks like me who use the wagon for work and have to load the rear cargo unit, I need the self leveling system in the car or the car will have its ass on the ground.

It is important for some of us and not important to others. You are welcome to order what you want for your needs. I simply stated, it is not something I am will to do without.

I've had an Audi allroad, and a lot of people have changed out to coilovers due to the issues with the airbags, but I felt (and that may only be me) it would not be an allroad if I didn't have the adjustable height suspension. The same goes with my E-Class wagon with the Airmatic. Some folks in the forums don't like them but I have grown to love it. Will it perform better with TRUE coilovers? Maybe, but I haven't fallen out of love from it yet and I do not ever think I will be using these two wagons in the track, I have a car just for that.

Last edited by RIHI; 02-10-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:00 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535i

I want to know more about the ISC suspension for the Xi.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:40 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by RIHI
If you wanted to get a TRUE coilover kit just order the rear shocks with the rear springs and you're done. It is the same shock and spring for an E60 xDrive without the rear leveling suspension. For folks like me who use the wagon for work and have to load the rear cargo unit, I need the self leveling system in the car or the car will have its ass on the ground.

It is important for some of us and not important to others. You are welcome to order what you want for your needs. I simply stated, it is not something I am will to do without.

I've had an Audi allroad, and a lot of people have changed out to coilovers due to the issues with the airbags, but I felt (and that may only be me) it would not be an allroad if I didn't have the adjustable height suspension. The same goes with my E-Class wagon with the Airmatic. Some folks in the forums don't like them but I have grown to love it. Will it perform better with TRUE coilovers? Maybe, but I haven't fallen out of love from it yet and I do not ever think I will be using these two wagons in the track, I have a car just for that.
Very true I am never putting anything that heavy in the back of the wagon except snowboards and some dogs and food. Anything that heavy that would actually be enough to sag the rear is going int he truck what are you putting in there! haha

I was looking at the Allroad but did not want to deal with the maintenance of the engine and had my eyes on the E55 AMG Wagon but RWD and that was not going to work. I have my other BMW that is weekend / track car.

Originally Posted by s2k_john
I want to know more about the ISC suspension for the Xi.
After speaking with the owner of ISC I will be dropping off the car shortly to work on the suspension for the E61. I will be going with a full coilover setup and utilizing swift springs all around. Once I have more info on this I will update the thread and post some pictures up.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:10 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535i

Nice keep us posted!

Originally Posted by Island Road
Very true I am never putting anything that heavy in the back of the wagon except snowboards and some dogs and food. Anything that heavy that would actually be enough to sag the rear is going int he truck what are you putting in there! haha

I was looking at the Allroad but did not want to deal with the maintenance of the engine and had my eyes on the E55 AMG Wagon but RWD and that was not going to work. I have my other BMW that is weekend / track car.

After speaking with the owner of ISC I will be dropping off the car shortly to work on the suspension for the E61. I will be going with a full coilover setup and utilizing swift springs all around. Once I have more info on this I will update the thread and post some pictures up.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:45 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I hearing this correctly, that all of the FK models that will fit on the E61 will work on my E60 XDrive?
Old 02-27-2015, 06:00 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

I would think so. All xDrive suspension are the same except for the self leveling suspension in the E61. So rear springs are needed as all E61 in the US market are xDrive and come with self leveling suspension, whereas sedans may not have come with that option.

The dampers and springs rates should be the same.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:09 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

FK confirmed. E60 XDrive models now have a reasonably priced coilover available.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:12 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525ix (N52 Engine)

I am leaning torward ISC as of now. FK i cant find them anywhere. I might be looking in the wrong places. But ISC seems to have one set of coilovers that fit E60s and E61 Tourings. They dont specify if RWD or AWD. If they were to fit with a discount code they got going on right now... it be under 1,000 for a set of coilovers.

I drive a 2006 BMW 525ix (sedan), and really want to lower my car, Finding a good suspension set up is the only thing on my mind right now before I start doing anything else to it. If i cant find a reasonable suspension set up for a decent price, maybe around 1,500 max, Im going to just have to cry for the next 3 years that I cant mod my E60 and let it go after its paid off.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:23 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Kasmo
I am leaning torward ISC as of now. FK i cant find them anywhere. I might be looking in the wrong places. But ISC seems to have one set of coilovers that fit E60s and E61 Tourings. They dont specify if RWD or AWD. If they were to fit with a discount code they got going on right now... it be under 1,000 for a set of coilovers.

I drive a 2006 BMW 525ix (sedan), and really want to lower my car, Finding a good suspension set up is the only thing on my mind right now before I start doing anything else to it. If i cant find a reasonable suspension set up for a decent price, maybe around 1,500 max, Im going to just have to cry for the next 3 years that I cant mod my E60 and let it go after its paid off.
ISC Does not currently have a set for the E61, I am working with the owner now to have a set made so it will work with this platform. We will be using Swift springs, the rates are yet to be determined as we are going to be trying out a few to see what works best for performance / everyday driving.

We are sightly behind schedule due to shipping delays but should have an update soon enough.

As to working with 525xi I would give them a call but the set we are working on might help all e60/61 xi models. I will keep this thread updated.

Last edited by Island Road; 04-07-2015 at 07:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Coilover Roll Call - KW - FK - JRZ - ISC - Lets hear your Review!