E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Can a diversity antenna be repaired/reconditioned?

Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a diversity antenna be repaired/reconditioned?

I am almost 100% certain my diversity antenna is kapoot. I have no more AM band, my FM band has poor reception and my WB is gone as well. The FOB key still work.

Question, can a diversity antenna module be salvaged/repaired/reconditioned or is it a straight out replacement?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

replace it, you will be pleased you did it. Depending on the age of your car that part has received so many updates.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:56 AM
AJH
Members

My diversity antenna was faulty. After looking at the curcuit board with a magnifying glass I could see there was corrosion on there. I cleaned off the corrosion and shone a torch behind the curcuit board and looked from the top and I could see some of the copper traces had corroded away. There are a few tips on how to fix them on YouTube.
I fixed mine, although very fiddley.
You could probably get it done professionally and save yourself a few quid.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Members

Thanks for the comments and tips. Now that the weather has dried up a bit, I have the AM and WB band again. My FM reception is also better. I may wait a bit before taking action to replace it while monitoring it.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Make sure at least the foam spacers are installed outside the module. Look up the bulletin if you don't know what I'm talking about. It's supposed to keep more water out of the module, though my experience is that it still gets in even with them!

If you're going thru the trouble of opening up the case of the module, then try to silicone the edges to minimize further water ingress would be my tip to you.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Make sure at least the foam spacers are installed outside the module. Look up the bulletin if you don't know what I'm talking about. It's supposed to keep more water out of the module, though my experience is that it still gets in even with them!

If you're going thru the trouble of opening up the case of the module, then try to silicone the edges to minimize further water ingress would be my tip to you.
Yes I have the service bulletin. However, all of a sudden my antenna is working again. I will probably hold off for a little bit and monitor the situation. By the way, where in Canada are you located?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

Mine (module) died about a year after it was replaced, and when I opened it up, found the spacers were there, and they had even put some silicone around the edges of the plastic case, but it was still wet inside... So that's why I'm not so sure they do much other than possibly delay the inevitable. Crossing my fingers the last replacement of a month ago will last longer, as I'll be out of warranty then.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Mine (module) died about a year after it was replaced, and when I opened it up, found the spacers were there, and they had even put some silicone around the edges of the plastic case, but it was still wet inside... So that's why I'm not so sure they do much other than possibly delay the inevitable. Crossing my fingers the last replacement of a month ago will last longer, as I'll be out of warranty then.
Ouch, that sucks. What is most upsetting is I have 1 month remaining on CPO and they will not change the diversity antenna under CPO . Nevertheless, it is working now so I will hold off on the expense...
Old 03-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Senior Members

Hmmm... I was debating whether to buy an extended warranty or not. If it doesn't cover that, then what the heck is it good for? That's odd. I was worried there would be all kinds of exceptions to what's covered.

I heard most people get Coverage One thru the dealers, as an extended warranty.

https://www.coverageone.ca/mic/uwc/j...s_ultimate.jsp

So I'm thinking maybe I'm better off just putting aside my money instead of buying the extended warranty.

And this is what the US people get I think:
Attached Files
Old 03-16-2013, 04:43 AM
Members

US buyers have better coverage than we have. I will try one more dealership (via a contact) to see if I can get it replaced under CPO. The fact that it is working again makes me believe that it can be fixed instead of an outright replacement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can a diversity antenna be repaired/reconditioned?