E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

BMS oil catch can for install E61

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 05:29 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Wagon (E61 w/6MT)
Model Year: 2009
Default BMS oil catch can for install E61

Hello,

Has anyone installed the BMS OCC in their LCI 535xi wagon? I can't seem to figure out how to remove the wire looms from the strut tower brace (or whatever you call that triangle shape bracing that affixes to structure towers and the fire wall.

It seems to block access to crank case vent pipe and other necessary access points.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by OldSpool87
Hello,

Has anyone installed the BMS OCC in their LCI 535xi wagon? I can't seem to figure out how to remove the wire looms from the strut tower brace (or whatever you call that triangle shape bracing that affixes to structure towers and the fire wall.

It seems to block access to crank case vent pipe and other necessary access points.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
The top of the holder pops off and upward allowing you to remove the wire looms. Then the two attach points to the brace have plastic pop rivets, pull up the center pin to pull out the rivet. Once that's out of the way and the cowl covers removed take the engine cover off and there's your access. The 535 engine bay is a little tight so the can sits at a slight angle when attached to the brace.

Also you'll need to cut a portion of the engine cover off for the occ tubing.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:58 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

Did you read the BMS install pdf? I can't remember off hand.. but I am actually putting a whole setup together tomorrow for someone.. if you can't figure it out it'll be fresh in my mind
Old 05-15-2015, 02:59 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
Did you read the BMS install pdf? I can't remember off hand.. but I am actually putting a whole setup together tomorrow for someone.. if you can't figure it out it'll be fresh in my mind
I did read it. It's straight forward in concept. The engine compartment of the wagon seems slightly different than the sedan. Getting the cowl off was easy enough. If you are installing it on a wagon, if appreciate and tips/insight.

Thanks to all for responding.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:05 AM
New Members

No sorry. ..it's a sedan. But I can see what I can do to make things clearer how to remove the plastic piece and the wire. Maybe shoot me a PM with your email or phone number. ..
Old 05-15-2015, 08:47 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
The top of the holder pops off and upward allowing you to remove the wire looms. Then the two attach points to the brace have plastic pop rivets, pull up the center pin to pull out the rivet. Once that's out of the way and the cowl covers removed take the engine cover off and there's your access. The 535 engine bay is a little tight so the can sits at a slight angle when attached to the brace.

Also you'll need to cut a portion of the engine cover off for the occ tubing.
Are the pop rivets reusable? I'll try to take pictures of the area that's giving me grief.

Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:56 AM
New Members

Yes they are. .I just popped out all apart and I'm eating lunch. .had to let the engine cool off. . Take the picture for sure!
Old 05-15-2015, 05:05 PM
New Members

Didn't see you post anything.. so I'll assume you still had trouble with those pop rivets, as Booyaazaa said everything already needed. I use/used a knife to pull the middle of that pop rivet out, then pulled it the rest of the way with needle nose pliers. Once those guys are out then.. it's home free.

One crappy thing for me is that today the install did not include the extra length of the spacer. I've always gotten an extension with the other 3 I installed, but today it wasn't in the bag. It was SUPER tight in terms of how far I could move it and mount it. The mount rubbed a bit on the cowl cover, but once the cabin filter was wedged in it was all good.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:02 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
Didn't see you post anything.. so I'll assume you still had trouble with those pop rivets, as Booyaazaa said everything already needed. I use/used a knife to pull the middle of that pop rivet out, then pulled it the rest of the way with needle nose pliers. Once those guys are out then.. it's home free.

One crappy thing for me is that today the install did not include the extra length of the spacer. I've always gotten an extension with the other 3 I installed, but today it wasn't in the bag. It was SUPER tight in terms of how far I could move it and mount it. The mount rubbed a bit on the cowl cover, but once the cabin filter was wedged in it was all good.
Rice Rocket,

Thanks for following up. I have not yet got back to the install due to time constraints. I think the issue is that I have never had to deal with pop rivers and didn't understand how they worked. Probably sounds stupid, but those rivets nearly sidelined he project!

Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by OldSpool87
Rice Rocket,

Thanks for following up. I have not yet got back to the install due to time constraints. I think the issue is that I have never had to deal with pop rivers and didn't understand how they worked. Probably sounds stupid, but those rivets nearly sidelined he project!

Thanks again.
Use a plastic or metal pry tool, Harbor Frieght has a nice set which is what I got, to pop up the middle piece.
Attached Thumbnails BMS oil catch can for install E61-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: BMS oil catch can for install E61