E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Attempting to ascertain value- 2008 E61 535xiT with M sport package

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 09:55 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black
Default Attempting to ascertain value- 2008 E61 535xiT with M sport package

I've owned this gal since 2010 and I love her, but it's time to get into an X5. I'm trying to determine a fair value so I can get the ad written up and this thing listed.

I'm posting while at work and before ADD takes over and I lose my train of thought, so this thread will be updated with current pics this evening. She is dirty, but you will have an idea of what we are looking at.

I'm having the car detailed this week and will see if I can get professional pictures this weekend, provided the weather cooperates. I know it's difficult to form an opinion without pictures, but the car doesn't have anything weird going on as far as modifications and there are no body issues to worry about, save for one minor scratch (driver's door from a repaired door ding) and one scrape on the driver side rear quarter - cause unknown. Both of which will be repaired to the extent possible without fully repainting the panels. Interior is as perfect as it can be.

The M Sport package was not available in the US until 2010, but I purchased all of the OEM parts (including M Steering wheel) and had them professionally installed, Complete factory shadowline trim has also been installed.

2008 E61 535xiT LCI with M Sport package
BLACK SAPPHIRE METALLIC Exterior and BLACK DAKOTA LEATHER Interior
76,000 Miles
Branded title, but problem free (California BMW buyback due to HPFP problems back in 2008)
No Smoking, Pets, Kids
Always dealer maintained (I have all service/maintenance and repair records)
No aftermarket mechanical or software upgrades
Tires still have a lot of tread (Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus)
Upgraded BMW wheels (BMW Style 135 18x8 (ZHP))
Clear Bra
Tint (VA Legal) invoice from LA tint
Aftermarket Weathertech floor mats
Spare tire computers replaced and sunroof leak fixed (drains modified, re-routed, the whole 9 to ensure no-repeats)
OEM M-Sport kit (installed after purchase)
M steering wheel
Shadowline trim
Bumper to bumper warranty with $100 deductible until Sept 2015
HPFP replaced twice since 2010 (Dealer Warranty No Charge)
Turbos replaced in May 2015 (Dealer Warranty No charge)
Balance of Sirius/XM service (Expires Mid 2016)
New state inspection as of 7/2015
Walnut blasting of intake manifold completed March 2015

Dealer has upgraded computer/NAV software
Trinity angel eye bulbs
WeatherTech lexan rear license plate cover
Front tow hook cover license plate mount with tinted Lexan plate cover
Black powder coated exhaust tips
Trinity Blacked out front grille

Here is the original equipment and options list for the car. I believe every available option at the time was delivered on the car, to include HUD, Night vision, Adaptive Cruise, etc.

KBB and ClearBook both estimate the value in "very good" condition between $18 and $19k, which doesn't include the additional value of the M Sport package and Style 135 wheels. I think the car is more between very good and excellent - I will go over the car and have any yet undiscovered dents fixed, so the car will be delivered to the new owner in wonderful condition. You could argue a little down for the Branded title. I know it's just paperwork BS and nothing is wrong with the car, but I also realize that perception is reality.

Parts for the M Sport kit (including wheels) came to $6,086.60, then add $2801.15 in labor for installation and painting and we're at $8,887.75 on that alone.

I think I'd be pretty happy at $18-19k after all is said and done. If that isn't realistic or fair, please let me know and I will consider an adjustment.

I ran an Auto Check report and it's clean, save for the Branded title, of course.

Thank you for your assistance,
Brandon

Last edited by BW535xiT; 06-24-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:28 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Miata Starion Forester

I'd say ball park wise, $18k is reasonable. If it doesn't need LCA's, a new pulley, etc then I would say it's fair for the market.

So, you might have a PM
Old 06-25-2015, 05:57 AM
Members

As promised.... there has been a lot of rain recently and the car needs a bath.

My original mileage was incorrect.. it's nearly 79,000

Old 06-25-2015, 07:02 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

I think that price is fair for sure. I'm not sure if I'd honestly start to pay much more money than the 20K myself.. or I might be looking at other newer cars etc. You might argue you could start asking for a little more than that just for the installed M package stuff, but unless you find someone specifically looking for that, they won't care.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

You know what they say about mods… You're lucky if you can get half of their value back in a sale. Unless you find a buyer who really appreciates them, on paper, you still have a "regular" 535.

Good luck with sale. She's beautiful.

PS you can edit your posts long after, in case you need to update anything (I noticed you mentioned the mileage was off). Just click the edit button in the bottom right corner of your post
Old 06-25-2015, 07:55 AM
Members

I appreciate the feedback. I realize that most mods are a sunk cost that you will never get back in the end. I also realize this is a niche car and those who appreciate them (as I do) are willing to pay a little more for a well sorted and non-bastardized example with factory-sourced upgrades.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:03 AM
New Members

My Ride: Long Roof E60

My recent history with selling modified vehicles or even lightly modified ones is you should get at least what KBB or Clearbook says it is worth. Yout modifications are only worth it to an enthusiast. So I think its pretty fairly priced.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:53 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 535 & an E30

Wow you posted this 55 minutes after I drove off the lot with my 2010. If I had not done that I would have driven straight to your house to pick this up.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:05 AM
Members

Timing is everything :^) Unfortunately, the deal with the X5 fell through. I am after a very specific set of options, so I'll just hold on to the 535 until another ideal X5 comes around. The good news for a future buyer is that I am going to re-up my extended warranty for another 5 years, so that'll be a huge plus.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:27 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 535xi

Who do you have your warranty through? have you had to use it? I'm looking to get a 535xit but I'm unsure about 3rd party warranties.

Quick Reply: Attempting to ascertain value- 2008 E61 535xiT with M sport package