E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Anyone know which other BMW Panoramic sunroofs are compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 12:39 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e30
Model Year: 2008
Default Anyone know which other BMW Panoramic sunroofs are compatible?

Well I found my sunroof assembly and rear hatch among other things were messed with and not repaired correctly. One thing that was missing that I didn't notice right away was the sunroof shades.

Does anyone know what other BMW models I can look at?

I looked on realoem.com to try to match up the part numbers but it seems that all of them are different due to their color combinations.

Thinking possible the X5 and X3 models may share the same sunroof? Just gotta try to wither down which years are compatible.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

I'm fairly certain that on realOEM once you know a part number, if you then do a search by that part number, it will list all the different car models that use it
Old 04-06-2016, 06:44 AM
Members

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i 2005, F11 528i 2012
Model Year: 2012

If you use your VIN number, then ETK will show all parts on your particular model. I know for example that the 3-series and 5-series both have panoramic sunroof. Although, the panoramic roofs look the same (two glass parts), they are different in length and thus not interchangeable.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:41 PM
New Members

Thanks guys for the info, I will try it soon.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:34 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

i'd be very interesting to know what you find out. I have one half of the sliding sunshade functional but the other half is stuck retracted into the headliner. i think that the cables attaching the two pieces sunshade have somehow become disconnected.

i have not been able to find many diagrams of the panoramic roof or any specific repair instructions. however, i do believe the panoramic roof was more or less the same in the X3 and X5. apparently disassembly and service is a huge PITA because you have to take out the headliner completely and remove the entire sunroof cassette for service.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:46 AM
New Members

Well I put my VIN into RealOEM and unfortunately, at least the shade parts don't interchange with other models. They are e61 specific.

Time to hit up the salvage yards. I don't exactly feel like paying $500+ for two pieces of shade.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:00 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

are you sure that yours are missing and not just retracted behind the headliner? seems strange that someone would remove them completely?

keep in mind that even if you sources the two shades, you still need all the mechanisms that link them together
Old 04-11-2016, 12:25 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by BostonJon
are you sure that yours are missing and not just retracted behind the headliner? seems strange that someone would remove them completely?

keep in mind that even if you sources the two shades, you still need all the mechanisms that link them together
Yeah unfortunately the previous owner tried to diy a lot of stuff and hacked a lot of things. Just finding these things out now as I'm looking more closely and finding various trim pieces/fasteners missing. You can definitely tell the PO dropped the headliner at one point.

I'll look again but there was no kind of headliner sticking out from the glass opening the last time I checked.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:50 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Silver 2006 530xi Wagon

At first I thought you were the guy that sold me my 2006 e61 last week, but my panoramic is even worse than what you are describing. I'm pretty sure a saw and hammer were involved in the destruction of my sunroof, as the rear sunshade has been completed removed (as were many other needed parts)! On top of it, they wedged an old highlight in the tracks to keep things from sagging.

Did you ever resolve your sunroof issues?
Old 05-17-2016, 05:28 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by davidmurdoch
At first I thought you were the guy that sold me my 2006 e61 last week, but my panoramic is even worse than what you are describing. I'm pretty sure a saw and hammer were involved in the destruction of my sunroof, as the rear sunshade has been completed removed (as were many other needed parts)! On top of it, they wedged an old highlight in the tracks to keep things from sagging.

Did you ever resolve your sunroof issues?
f

Wouldn't have been me as I still have my e61. I've just been keeping an eye out on used parts as I'm not about to pay for new ones. But since it's getting warmer, not having the shade screen really is making my car very warm. I may have to ghetto rig some cardboard pieces up there for now just to keep the sun/heat out.

Quick Reply: Anyone know which other BMW Panoramic sunroofs are compatible?