E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Anybody konw how to access to E61 Diversity Antenna ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I'm having problems with remote optening/closing on my E61. Seems that Diversity Antenna could be one of the must current root casue as my both keys stopped working 2 days ago.

This Diversity stuff seems localted in the trunk, below the 3th stop brake lightning.

Does anybody have a tutorial on how to access to the antenna and check for corrosion or water (two things that GT1 diagnostic ask to verify when both keys stopped to work remotely to open/close the car) ?

Thanks
Matt
Old 08-05-2010, 07:57 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '04 E61 525d TITANGRAU II METALLIC (A36) LEDER DAKOTA/BEIGE 3 (LCBA) SIDE AIRBAG FOR REAR PASSENGERS ALARM SYSTEM ROOF RAIL SUNBLINDS FOR REAR SIDE WINDOWS, MECH FLOOR MATS, VELOUR INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE WOOD TRIM CUPHOLDER SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) XENON LIGHT ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING CRUISE CONTROL NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL CAR TELEPHONE PROFESSIONAL CD CHANGER BMW FOR 6 CDS

It's really easy to do this.

Open the rear window (only the window, not the entire trunk)
You see 4 plastic covers on the inside at the top of the window, remove them with a small screwdriver or a knife
Now you see underneed each cover a torx screw, remove all 4 of them
Now you can slide the spoiler downwards and it will come off. Be carefull not to harm the flatcables attached to it.
Underneath the spoiler you will see a black plastic box where the flatcables run into, this is the housing of the antenna amplifier
Open this housing by pulling the top lid off
Now you can remove the flatcables from the antenna amplifier, remove the other wires and water hose from the spoiler and put the spoiler aside
The white plastic box is the antenna amplifier. It's bolted to the car with 2 screws in the middle, remove them and remove the box

Now you can open the box and check for corrosion.

Should be 10 minutes or less work. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Members

Hi !

Thanks ! I'll give a try...

Matt
Old 08-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Members

Hi !

So easy Thanks...

Card is full of corrosoin on biggest plug + water under the box... The root cause of my problem is found I think.

An intervention (I'm under Premium Selection warranty) is planned on the 13th of August...

Matt
Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

I had the same issue the after the original bumper to bumper warranty expired!

It was quite corroded under there and was replaced under the extended CPO warranty.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Members

Hi

Hope that I will have no problem... locking system is not excluded from warranty, but "corrosion & oxydation" are... anyway from my point of view this is an abnormal situation, also considering the BMW Technical Bulletin that was specifically emitted about this problem.

Matt
Old 08-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Does this thread help?

https://5series.net/forums/topic/930...orking-anymore
Old 08-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Members

Hi !

I went to this thread to have a look yesterday and it confirmed my GT1 diagnosis + the idea that Diversity was the root cause.

This was totally confirmed yesterday when I opened the box where the Diversity Antenna is stored...

I did not take pictures, but main connector corrosion is nearly the one displayed in post #9 of the linked thread.

A major design flaw from my point of view. My car isn't fitted with the "foam" that may help to limit water around the diversity antenna : http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B660608g.htm

Matt
Old 08-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 525dat

Hi

Hope you get it sorted.

I had the same problem with water and alot of corrosion! BMW changed everything under warranty!

They also upgraded firmware whilst they were at it, (they did this after they got confused). Apparantly it is normal that if you lock and unlock the car a certain amount of times without getting in, the remote stops working until you turn the ignition on and off....
Old 08-10-2010, 02:01 AM
Members

Hi !

Apointmnet planned next Tuesday. BMW Premium Selection second hand warranty excludes corrosion/oxydation but I got a deal with the garage responsible and he will procure to warranty a feedback telling that I lost my remote control, without speaking about corrosion (other wise they will reject the warranty support).

News next week.

Matt

Quick Reply: Anybody konw how to access to E61 Diversity Antenna ?