E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

2" Receiver Hitch in USA? Also: Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xi wagon 6AT

I'm moving from an '07 X5 4.8i to the '08 535ixT (USA) and am trying to find a hitch that will fit a 2" receiver (trailering and bike rack). All I've found to date is a Curt 1 1/4" Class 1 hitch, which won't fit bike accessories and limits towing to a woeful 2k lbs.

Also, when I installed the hitch on my X5, I had to have the car reprogrammed. What's the trick to wiring the 535xiT to either integrate with the OEM system or 'work around' the OEM system without triggering electronic problems the minute you plug in the trailer lights?

On the X5 4.8i, dealer programming also 'taught' the rear-view camera to detect the trailer hitch, changed the field of view, and integrated with the parking radar. It's pretty slick. I expect the Euro E61 operates similarly, so I'm wondering if anyone's got any thoughts on (hopefully) how to at least make some of this minimally functional.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sarge
Old 06-30-2011, 07:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

but you don't have oem rear view camera? It wasn't an option or package for 2008 wagons.

I have one installed but it simply comes on with reverse regardless of what's on the rear (like a bike rack)

I had a custom hitch made in 2" which does not hang below the lower edge of the stock rear valence trim. It looks pretty slick. I'll try to get some photos today. They rated it to 3500 lbs. (long standing highly regarded hitch shop in the area here)

As for wiring/trailer, I don't know on this car.

For my Audi S4 Avant I had the same shop make a custom hitch based on the Curt which they reinforced and changed to 2" also. The Audi is fully wired for towing too but it took some time getting all the lighting to work properly.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jwestpro
but you don't have oem rear view camera? It wasn't an option or package for 2008 wagons.

I have one installed but it simply comes on with reverse regardless of what's on the rear (like a bike rack)

I had a custom hitch made in 2" which does not hang below the lower edge of the stock rear valence trim. It looks pretty slick. I'll try to get some photos today. They rated it to 3500 lbs. (long standing highly regarded hitch shop in the area here)

As for wiring/trailer, I don't know on this car.

For my Audi S4 Avant I had the same shop make a custom hitch based on the Curt which they reinforced and changed to 2" also. The Audi is fully wired for towing too but it took some time getting all the lighting to work properly.
I didn't notice the camera come on when I put it in reverse (my X5 comes on automatically). As I recall there's a setting to turn it off, so it's either 'off' or it's broken.

As for the hitch - my 'worst case' thought was to customize the Curt hitch, so I'd love to see any photos you have of it. Welding the larger receiver on is the obvious part, but I'm curious what you did with the rest of where it connects to the frame.

My other thought was to try to get a schematic/drawing of the Westfalia hitch from europe and see how that connects with the frame. (Ideally I'd design something hidden like my allroad 2.7T, but even just having the 2" receiver showing, with the rest tucked away is acceptable).

Lastly, do you know what the auto transmission is rated to tow (i.e. 2500 lbs at 100 deg F?).

Thanks for any further info, it is appreciated.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

I think you did not understand me, the 2008 BMW 535xiT did not come with a camera. It was not standard or an option. They have parking distance sensors front and rear instead.

I have a camera because I had one installed. It fits into one of the license plate lamps to the left of the hatch opening release handle. It integrates with the nav system and comes on only when in reverse.

I suggest going custom because the Curt is more likely to hang lower than the valence trim edge. I have an idea, I bet the shop I used here would be happy to make you an identical copy and ship it to you. It bolts straight in and has a nice custom bracing going under the spare tire well over to the frame bracing which only ads to protection of the car underneath without reducing clearance. No holes were drilled into the car. The only car alterations were to the lower underside trim and you cannot see that part.

I drive a manual. You could get auto towing info from some euro folks seeing as no USA cars came with hitches factory installed.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Members

I think you did not understand me, the 2008 BMW 535xiT did not come with a camera. It was not standard or an option. They have parking distance sensors front and rear instead.

I have a camera because I had one installed. It fits into one of the license plate lamps to the left of the hatch opening release handle. It integrates with the nav system and comes on only when in reverse.

I suggest going custom because the Curt is more likely to hang lower than the valence trim edge. I have an idea, I bet the shop I used here would be happy to make you an identical copy and ship it to you. It bolts straight in and has a nice custom bracing going under the spare tire well over to the frame bracing which only ads to protection of the car underneath without reducing clearance. No holes were drilled into the car. The only car alterations were to the lower underside trim and you cannot see that part.

I drive a manual. You could get auto towing info from some euro folks seeing as no USA cars came with hitches factory installed.
That would work well. It should be cheaper for them to make another copy than for me to pay for a one-off anyway. Does yours allow fitment of the usual types of bike racks (Thule, Yakima)? A photo would be great if possible - I definitely appreciate the offer, it seems like the best solution, all things considered.

RE the camera, did you use a Dension type kit? I have a Dension Gateway 500 and A/V router kit that I never got around to installing in my '07 X5 (allows watching ipod video on front seat screen, and linking to rear seat screens) - I think that should probably work with this car (same iteration of iDrive, etc), and may allow for plugging in the backup camera. Any further info on that would be much appreciated too.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by Sarge
I'm moving from an '07 X5 4.8i to the '08 535ixT (USA) and am trying to find a hitch that will fit a 2" receiver (trailering and bike rack). All I've found to date is a Curt 1 1/4" Class 1 hitch, which won't fit bike accessories and limits towing to a woeful 2k lbs.

Sarge
A 1 1/4" hitch will definitely take bike racks, though not heavy duty ones. There are racks that take up to 2 bikes that go on that size hitch. Check out Rack Attack's website.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

Jwest, I might be into that too... Any idea what it might cost? I could pick it up in Seattle if shipping to Canada is prohibitive.

I don't need wiring at this time, since the reason I had the hitch installed on my previous Volvo XC70 was for a Thule bike rack. But I'm wondering if in my case a hitch is overkill to use for a bike rack? (though I hate to have to sell my almost new $600 bike rack and buying a bunch of new stuff again...)

If I should pass on the hitch mounted rack, maybe I should go for a roof system, or one of those types that hangs off the rear hatch door?
Old 07-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Jwest, I might be into that too... Any idea what it might cost? I could pick it up in Seattle if shipping to Canada is prohibitive.

I don't need wiring at this time, since the reason I had the hitch installed on my previous Volvo XC70 was for a Thule bike rack. But I'm wondering if in my case a hitch is overkill to use for a bike rack? (though I hate to have to sell my almost new $600 bike rack and buying a bunch of new stuff again...)

If I should pass on the hitch mounted rack, maybe I should go for a roof system, or one of those types that hangs off the rear hatch door?
My hitch cost $500 but that was for custom first time and included tax. I would not even consider a 1-1/4" receiver because of the limitation and my swing away bike carrier is only 2" as well as the 1-1/4" not being as strong.

Additionally, the stock curt part sets lower by about 2-3" which in my opinion would be one more limitation having poor departure angle on an already low hanging bike carrier. The Yakima versions would be better in that case because they immediately curve up and away from the ground.

The shop in Kent Washington is Tork Lift.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Senior Members

My hitch cost $500 but that was for custom first time and included tax. I would not even consider a 1-1/4" receiver because of the limitation and my swing away bike carrier is only 2" as well as the 1-1/4" not being as strong.

Additionally, the stock curt part sets lower by about 2-3" which in my opinion would be one more limitation having poor departure angle on an already low hanging bike carrier. The Yakima versions would be better in that case because they immediately curve up and away from the ground.

The shop in Kent Washington is Tork Lift.
Hmm... that's a pretty good price for a custom hitch, installed, especially if we luck out and get it cheaper. Do you have their contact info and a name perhaps? A few showed up when I searched for a dealer around Kent.

So do you use your hitch just for your bike rack? I've got a Thule 964 Revolver.

In my situation for a bike rack, do you think I'm better off to get this hitch then, or get roof rails, which would have the added advantage of being able to take a cargo box too down the road? If I had to spend $500 (worst case), I'm thinking maybe I should spend that on a roof mounted system and just sell my bike rack...

PS As a temporary measure, since I'm generally only hauling two kids bikes occasionally, I could use one of those hatch mounted carriers, but I'm worried about it being a PITA to put on and off, and scratching the tailgate, etc. Any thoughts on those?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Members

Is this the proper contact info for the hitch maker?

Torklift International
1901 Fryar Avenue
Sumner, WA, 98390

P#: 800.246.8132
F#: 253.854.8003

I found them on the internet at www.torklift.com

JWESTPRO: Do you recall the name of the person who actually designed/fabbed your hitch? Since I'd be doing this mail order, I'd like to be sure the work is done identical to yours (i.e. it fits).

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2" Receiver Hitch in USA? Also: Wiring?