E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

wheel damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M package

Hello guys, I bought a set of wheels the other day and today I received the packages, when I first open the boxes I notice that the seller didn't do a good job on packiing, he just put the wheels on a box and put some cardboard bottom and top.. nothing on the sides to prevent wheel from moving, so the thing is one wheel is bent and its like an inch and the clear coat and paint came off looks like optic fiber..

can you guys tell if this wheel can be fixed to proper specs no big deal, using one of those mobile wheel repair guys..also whats the proper way to check if the wheels are straight, maybe only if mounting them on the car?

Thanks all

wheel damage-dsc04166.jpg
wheel damage-dsc04167.jpg
Old 08-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Ouch where did you get them from? New or Used?

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by solrac6262' post='989672' date='Aug 26 2009, 04:34 PM
Hello guys, I bought a set of wheels the other day and today I received the packages, when I first open the boxes I notice that the seller didn't do a good job on packiing, he just put the wheels on a box and put some cardboard bottom and top.. nothing on the sides to prevent wheel from moving, so the thing is one wheel is bent and its like an inch and the clear coat and paint came off looks like optic fiber..

can you guys tell if this wheel can be fixed to proper specs no big deal, using one of those mobile wheel repair guys..also whats the proper way to check if the wheels are straight, maybe only if mounting them on the car?

Thanks all

Attachment 88398
Attachment 88399
Old 08-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Contributors

A good wheel repair place can make the damage look like new.
My local service provider (wheels america) will also remove any bends in the wheel and put on a new powder finish (all for about $130).
They have done 3 wheels for me so far, and the work has been great. I think that they are a chain store, so there may be someone near you.

Of course, I would first shoot the person who sent the wheels without good protection.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Contributors

thanks guys, I bought them from a guy that was selling them on ebay,they where take offs, but the auction end and a couple of weeks later I ask him about those wheels.. the thing is that man he was sent 2 of them just like that wheel and box, no protection at all or something to prevent them from moving...
Old 08-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

The damage can be repaired by a wheel refurbishment service. I would try to force the seller to pay for it.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='989683' date='Aug 26 2009, 06:56 PM
The damage can be repaired by a wheel refurbishment service. I would try to force the seller to pay for it.
seller
Carlos,There was no insurance placed on the wheels.The wheels were packed tighly in the boxes and the wheels should not have been loose in the boxes.Did you sign for the wheels or were they left at your door?Please send pictures of the packing and wheels and please contact UPS and advise and then advise me what they have to say about the damage.Thanks,,,,,greg

if packed tightly in boxes is just putting wheels on boxes, what would be the opposite? ship wheels without boxes?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Contributors

Easily fixable... dont sweat it.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Speed_Force_E60' post='989829' date='Aug 26 2009, 09:13 PM
Easily fixable... dont sweat it.
thanks man, that will give me some sleep hehe...
what would be the best way to know if the other 3 wheels are straight, can a discount tire, using their hunter balancing machine check for that?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

guess this is a small lesson on buying wheels..
Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

My company owns several FedEx trucks and routes in New Jersey. My drivers deliver wheels and tires on a regular basis. I can't tell you how many times we have seen poorly packed wheels that are damaged in shipping. The overwhelming majority of these damaged wheels come from EBay sellers. When properly packed, these wheels will arrive at your door on-time and undamaged. Shippers can't just throw them in a box and expect that the thin cardboard to protect them. Packages move throughout the terminals on conveyor belts and are stacked on pallets before they are loaded onto the trucks. The trucks all have metal floors. Large heavy items, like wheels are loaded on the floor of the trucks. Naturally, these trucks do not ride like our BMW's. Anything in them will bounce around all day until delivered. Typically, if a damaged package claim is filed, FedEx will return and pick up the package for inspection. If it is determined that the damage is the result of poor packaging, the claim will not be paid. I would imagine UPS maintains a similar policy.
One of the worst packing jobs I have ever seen was four rims purchased on Ebay. This seller merely covered the face of the rims with blue painters tape! All four rims were completely messed up. They looked so bad, I wouldn't even allow my driver to have them loaded on the truck. They were immediately returned to the seller and no claim was paid for those.

I hope this is resolved by the seller for you without hassle. I can't believe he didn't insure them. That means $100 is the maximum that would be paid if the shipping company even accepts the claim, which is questionable in this case. The guy you purchased these from is completely responsible for this and hopefully he will man up and accept responsibility.

Quick Reply: wheel damage