E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Water pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Would you say the Beck&Arnley Water pump is a deal breaker? I found it for about 75-80 i think on rock auto. I usually by parts from ECS but OEM is alot more. I dont cheap out on parts usually but some things are a toss up.
I can't speak for Beck and Arnley but, that is a very cheap pump. Caveat Emptor.

Originally Posted by zach1328
I'd be surprised if you saw any warning signs before it went out. I was driving home on the freeway when my pump instantaneously failed without any warning. Red light immediately came on along with a message on the screen that said something along the lines of, "Engine Overheated; switch off engine & allow to cool. Do not open hood: scalding hazard!"
My 08 535i only had 51k miles at the time, so these pumps can really go out at any point. I've heard of some making it past 100k, but it seems quite rare.

My recommendation:
Wait until the pump breaks to get the new one. The car goes into Limp mode when it over-heats and will limit your speed and power as to not damage the engine. Regardless, when it starts overheating you should pull over for a few minutes at a time to let the engine cool.
Don't drive more than 5-10 miles like this. I don't like taking risks so I simply had my car towed; after all, Triple-A is free so why risk any additional damage?

*When it finally breaks, replace it with a water pump that uses a METAL impeller. The composite impellers BMW uses in their pumps are simply too weak and are prone to breaking.
Didn't realize 08 and up have an electronically controlled water pump. So I guess these can fail in an instant. I was referring to a manual belt driven one. The only bright side to these electronic pumps is a warning immediately when pump fails. Did your pump go bad because of a bad impeller? Not very common but I guess it can happen. Im guessing on the electronic pumps the motor may be the culprit. Majority of pumps go bad because of bad seals between the shaft and bearing and/or gasket, with the impeller completely intact, like mine. Unless the area where the impeller and the shaft meet somehow disconnects, rarely do impellers implode. In my opinion metal or nonmetal impeller should be a non issue. The underlying issue are the parts used to assemble/rebuild these pumps. Inferior parts (cheap pump) may cost more in the long run. Just my 2 cent.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

One bit of advise, do not rely on the limp mode to protect you. If you get this red overheated warning, your best bet is to pull over immediately and get your car towed. Limp mode does not protect you at all from overheated damage. If you attempt to drive it, you seriously risk damaging your car. There is a lot of aluminum and plastic in this engine. So if I had to drive it based on being somewhere unsafe, then I would only drive until I was out of that area, then stop and call for a tow. I personally did limp an old e39 home once and ended up cracking the head. When your car overheats, and you stop and turn off then engine and wait a little. The water temperature actually increase due to a lack of movement and not having any air flow. Yes, eventually it will cool, but not as fast as you might think. I seem to recall my red warning in all it's words did say to have car towed to dealer.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:43 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 528xi Base

Thanks for the info.
When replacing the water pump; what else should be replaced at the same time ? Should I replace the sensor at the same time ?
Old 05-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by cmf528xi
Thanks for the info.
When replacing the water pump; what else should be replaced at the same time ? Should I replace the sensor at the same time ?
As far as I know it, I would change thermostat too. Either one of those fail and it makes big problems.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:29 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi w m5 tech kit, 2007 Mercedes e63 AMG, 2005 ford expedition

I agree. Wait. U mite have another 50k on the water pump. Mine just went last week. 100k no warning sign. Picked it up on eBay 270$ Replaced thermostat 12o$ and hose that has the sensor attached. Both were about 100. 350 labor at indie shop. I was about to attempt DIY. Until wifey reminded me all the stuff I screwed up already. Lol
Old 05-31-2014, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

what was the sign of the failure?
how did u know was the pump
thx u..
just asking so i know what to espect..
Old 05-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

Seems like there is a lot lf good advice here. My .2 cents.. Just replace it along with your tensioners and any pulleys that wobble. It's a pretty simple and straightforward job. I tackled is myself. I pulled out a composite on at 135k miles and put in the same one. My composite one I pulled out looked fine, but nothing eases the mind like new parts. While your at it.. Upgrade to the aluminum water pump pulley by ess tuning
Old 06-02-2014, 03:40 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi w m5 tech kit, 2007 Mercedes e63 AMG, 2005 ford expedition

Originally Posted by stel_i79
what was the sign of the failure?
how did u know was the pump
thx u..
just asking so i know what to espect..
The same as everyone else's. Which is the red alert and the dreadful message on the idrive saying to pull car over because is over heated. Theres also a small test u can do to see if ure pump is functioning properly. You place key in ignitioin. Do not turn vehicle on though. Have the heater set to max capacity, have someone step on the gas for like 10 seconds. While u lay on the passeger side floor of the vehicle. U should here the waterpump come on.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:14 AM
New Members

My Ride: 1988 528e, 1987 535is, 2000 e39, 2006 530XIT
Default How can I identify if H2O pump has been replaced?

Hi All - I started this post wondering if anyone could identify whether the pump in a car was original, as we bought our 2006 530XIT at BMW dealer with 81K miles. I was considering replacing the pump as a precaution then called the dealer the car was purchased at to ask if they knew the car's history. Amazingly the dealer replaced the pump just months before we bought the car. That was a worthwhile phone call!

Last edited by cinelliman; 06-11-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: new information came to light after post was first written
Old 12-19-2014, 07:37 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535 XI

2008 535 XI failed water pump no warning at all down town Pittsburgh Pa 1600.00 at dealership Need phone number for BMW complaint department. thank-you

Quick Reply: Water pump