E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Thinking of wrapping my interior

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 02:18 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i. Weisslicht angel eye bulbs and side marker lenses. Magnaflow exhaust, Black and silver carbon fiber emblems, aluminum race pedals, sport mode modification, LED interior bulbs, bumper reflector
Default Thinking of wrapping my interior

So now that I've finished a project, i wanna go ahead and move onto another one and try wrapping my interior trim pieces. I wanna wrap it with some type of carbon fiber.

my questions are:

whats a good brand to use to wrap it?
how much square footage is usually required to wrap all the trim pieces?

and finally, silver or black? I'm leaning towards the silver but idk.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of wrapping my interior-images-2.jpeg   Thinking of wrapping my interior-trims-wrap-diy-e60-bmw-m5-60059_1.jpg  
Old 10-08-2014, 02:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I used 3m Dinoc and was more than pleases with the results. Color has to be a personal preference. In my mind and reviewing pictures and samples on the internet I had one idea, after receiving the samples, I was always drawn back to carbon black. I like the silver and a few other colors, but with the carbon effect IMO I didn't care for it. Brush aluminum looks nice though. They should give you or sell you some actual color samples where you can stick them in the car and see what you like. As for sq footage, that really depends on how good one is.. I think I needed the entire roll! You want the material to off the roll and depending on how you lay it all out. I used roll width, so measure your longest piece which should be you main IP trim and add at least two inches around and then make sure they have this width. Then imagine to lay the other pieces on this sheet of carbon so that you maintain the same orientation, especially IP trim and center console pieces. You could probably get away with the door trim being turned 90 or 180. although most say it's non-directional, you will clearly see that its not. I would sketch out the pieces on a piece of paper so you know where they will lay on the carbon then measure all and make you order.

If you haven't done so yet, take some time and watch some youtube videos etc to get a feel for how the more complicated pieces can behave. They also make a primer for improved adhesion. I would recommend using the primer around the lip areas of the vents and corners since these areas area prone to loosening a short while afterwards. Make sure you clean the panels wells before you start and if you have EVER even thought of using Armor-all I would do extra cleaning.

Your rear console panel on the back side is a little tricky to remove. A metal paint can opener that has the small lip works well. Watch out for the two metal clips! They are NOT replaceable, so you you lose or damage then in a way where you can use them, you have to purchase the entire panel.

Good luck and don't forget to post up your results.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

it is a bigger pain than people make is sound, the main long piece is a PITA near the steering column, due to the shapes and need to pull a lot of material in. although the center console for the preLCI is much easier than LCI.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I didn't find it difficult at all. Even the first time look professional. I agree with you about the main trim, but use a small scrap piece to practice so you will see how much is heat is needed. I think the silver or second pic you show is what they call anthracite and a flash or light refection is lightening it.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:31 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I didn't find it difficult at all. Even the first time look professional. I agree with you about the main trim, but use a small scrap piece to practice so you will see how much is heat is needed. I think the silver or second pic you show is what they call anthracite and a flash or light refection is lightening it.

so you did not have to cut and tuck the area closest to the steering wheel? I have an ugly seam because it seemed like an inch worth of extra material I could not pull away not do much with....
Old 10-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

biggest problem you will have will be removing the vents from the actual wood trim.
its the only way to get a clean product. i did mine this way and am happy with it. people think its actually got burhsed alum. trim.
for me the black carbon is to much on a black interior, and carbon other than black looks weird in pics. im sure what ever you pick youll be happy with, its a change of pace. brand wise, 3m makes quality products through and through. i ordered from auto vinyl solutions.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:53 AM
Senior Members

No cutting but like Bill said, those vents can be a PITA to remove. The first go at wrapping the main trim came out very nice but over a month or so I noticed the trim pulling away in this deep draw area. I replaced the film and ensured additional heat in this area and now after three years its still holding well. Take a look here and purchase a few samples but in the end its what you like and it can always be removed.

http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-DI-...FfLm7AodwCoAUA

Last edited by tonyb635; 10-17-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

Originally Posted by tonyb635
No cutting but like Bill said, those vents can be a PITA to remove. The first go at wrapping the main trim came out very nice but over a month or so I noticed the trim pulling away in this deep draw area. I replaced the film and ensured additional heat in this area and now after three years its still holding well. Take a look here and purchase a few samples but in the end its what you like and it can always be removed.

3M DI-NOC Carbon Fiber Vinyl
just some advice to the op so you dont experience this problem of the vinyl shrinking..
use some lacquer.. or clear nail polish and put a nice coat around all the edges where the vinyl stops on the back side of the trim. hope this makes sense.
bmw sells the touch up lacquer pens/sticks. this is what i used. the seal on the edges of the vinyl, in theory, will prevent it from moving. worked great so far.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:08 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 525i. Weisslicht angel eye bulbs and side marker lenses. Magnaflow exhaust, Black and silver carbon fiber emblems, aluminum race pedals, sport mode modification, LED interior bulbs, bumper reflector

Originally Posted by Bill109
just some advice to the op so you dont experience this problem of the vinyl shrinking..
use some lacquer.. or clear nail polish and put a nice coat around all the edges where the vinyl stops on the back side of the trim. hope this makes sense.
bmw sells the touch up lacquer pens/sticks. this is what i used. the seal on the edges of the vinyl, in theory, will prevent it from moving. worked great so far.
oh wow, i will definitely look into that! I'm still wondering if I should do this or just stick with what I have.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

3M also is an option.

Quick Reply: Thinking of wrapping my interior