E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Thinking of wrapping my interior

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is what i want to do but anyone know how much vinyl do i need ?
Old 10-22-2014, 11:45 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

Originally Posted by tonyb635
No cutting but like Bill said, those vents can be a PITA to remove. The first go at wrapping the main trim came out very nice but over a month or so I noticed the trim pulling away in this deep draw area. I replaced the film and ensured additional heat in this area and now after three years its still holding well. Take a look here and purchase a few samples but in the end its what you like and it can always be removed.

3M DI-NOC Carbon Fiber Vinyl

can someone post a picture of their large piece on the end near the steering wheel with the trim? I have rewrapped a few times and I am not sure how to make this one look right.

I get too much material and end up cutting it.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:12 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 525i. Weisslicht angel eye bulbs and side marker lenses. Magnaflow exhaust, Black and silver carbon fiber emblems, aluminum race pedals, sport mode modification, LED interior bulbs, bumper reflector

So im in the process of watching videos and doing my research to make sure i get what I want. Im stuck between 3M Di-noc and 3M 1080 scotch. Im gonna get the Black CF style. I've read that the 1080 is much easier to work with but gets scratched quite easily, whereas the Di-noc is a bit harder to work with but seems more durable. And is the primer 94 really needed, or could I do without it?

does anyone have experience with either? and which would you personally recommend?

edit: what about Carbo-noc? is that decent at all?

Last edited by chaudhrysn; 10-22-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

Originally Posted by chaudhrysn
So im in the process of watching videos and doing my research to make sure i get what I want. Im stuck between 3M Di-noc and 3M 1080 scotch. Im gonna get the Black CF style. I've read that the 1080 is much easier to work with but gets scratched quite easily, whereas the Di-noc is a bit harder to work with but seems more durable. And is the primer 94 really needed, or could I do without it?

does anyone have experience with either? and which would you personally recommend?

edit: what about Carbo-noc? is that decent at all?
hopefully i can help..
ive heard the same between the 1080 and and the dinoc about one being easier to work with. heres a few things to consider.
i believe the 1080 is easier to work with. i have not used the dinoc but i used the 3m 1080 scotch and it came out awesome. however when stretching the carbon fiber vinyl you will see the stretch and warped pattern. this is one reason why i went with what i did.
i would vote for the 1080 3m product solely because i have used it and liked it. Also because i know 3m makes great products.

regarding the primer... i would save the money. Again, i did this without it so i don't feel id need it. Before you wrap it, make sure the piece is cleaned. If you can find it, use Spray Away glass cleaner. its a tall blue/white rattle can. This product can also be used as a wax and grease remover. In turn, this will help promote a solid adhesion.
during install i used a windex/water solution and a felt tipped squeegee along with a heat gun.
Goodluck, post some pics when its back together
Old 10-22-2014, 09:11 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 525i. Weisslicht angel eye bulbs and side marker lenses. Magnaflow exhaust, Black and silver carbon fiber emblems, aluminum race pedals, sport mode modification, LED interior bulbs, bumper reflector

Originally Posted by Bill109
hopefully i can help..
ive heard the same between the 1080 and and the dinoc about one being easier to work with. heres a few things to consider.
i believe the 1080 is easier to work with. i have not used the dinoc but i used the 3m 1080 scotch and it came out awesome. however when stretching the carbon fiber vinyl you will see the stretch and warped pattern. this is one reason why i went with what i did.
i would vote for the 1080 3m product solely because i have used it and liked it. Also because i know 3m makes great products.

regarding the primer... i would save the money. Again, i did this without it so i don't feel id need it. Before you wrap it, make sure the piece is cleaned. If you can find it, use Spray Away glass cleaner. its a tall blue/white rattle can. This product can also be used as a wax and grease remover. In turn, this will help promote a solid adhesion.
during install i used a windex/water solution and a felt tipped squeegee along with a heat gun.

Just ordered the 1080 CF 12 and the squeegee, and it'll be here next week!! man I'm so excited for this. but yeah! i love that spray away stuff! i just ran out actually so I'm gonna end up going to the store and getting some more!!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

Originally Posted by Bill109
hopefully i can help..

primer is not bad, but also remember if you ever lift it off, the primer will leave residue that is a pain to remove. I threw vinyl down to see if I like it but plan to replace it with real aluminum trim as soon as I can find a kit for an LCI E60. Thus the vinyl will come off and the bamboo pieces I will sell
Old 10-23-2014, 01:53 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by funglenn
primer is not bad, but also remember if you ever lift it off, the primer will leave residue that is a pain to remove. I threw vinyl down to see if I like it but plan to replace it with real aluminum trim as soon as I can find a kit for an LCI E60. Thus the vinyl will come off and the bamboo pieces I will sell
have you found a place that sells individual aluminum trim pieces?
Old 10-24-2014, 02:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

dinoc is also 3m. Not sure what the differences are as compared to the 1080. Make sure that you list pictures when you're finished.

I just found this.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648294

Last edited by tonyb635; 10-24-2014 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:45 AM
New Members

Well, I ended up getting the 1080 wrap nearly a week early!! Got off work pretty late so all I ended up doing was this. So far I like that it's pretty easy to work with. I had a total fail attempt at wrapping my keys, so I'm still trying to get used to working with it.

Does anyone know how to take the vents Out of the trim piece?
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of wrapping my interior-image.jpg  
Old 10-25-2014, 06:26 PM
New Members

Well here's the not so good finished product of this trim piece. Forgot about that sliding cover so I'm gonna rewrap that part along with the bottom portion of the center console; not sure what happened with that piece.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with how easy this is to work with. I only watched one video and went straight to work. Inhave plenty of leftover wrap (I ordered a 60 X 24), so there was room for error, and considering how cheap it was (only like 30ish bucks) Im loving this.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of wrapping my interior-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Thinking of wrapping my interior