E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Old 04-21-2016, 11:19 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530e Alpine White
Model Year: 2017

@xacahb: When you were doing the initial coding, most likely the updated FA with SAT option was written to CAS. Now when the software was getting upgraded, your transmission's firmware was replaced to the firmware with SAT, due to the SAT option being present in your FA. A car with complete SAT firmware will disallow engaging the gear lever in sport if it cannot find the paddle shifters. So the paddles needs to be disabled with coding.

Now for your second problem, this is exactly what SAT transmission software gives you. You actually start driving manual, and the automatic transmission does not try to be smart when you take control. The SAT firmware also gives faster shifting, throttle matching and other features.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:38 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i LCI N53

Originally Posted by xacahb
Hi guys,

First of all - very informative thread.

Now to the point, I have an e60 535d LCI , without the SAT. I retrofitted the gear lever and module without the paddles, after that it was coded and everything worked fine. A couple of months ago i got my car's software on all modules updated and then the lever wouldn't go into sport , it just shifts back to drive.

I went to guy who coded it and he redid the coding - the shifter worked fine and everything , but there was a new issue. When going WOT it wont shift up , it just bogs at 5k and stays untill I manually upshift. It is the same sittuation in all modes. Everything works ok when driving normal , but as soon as i give it the beans it doesn't want to upshift..

So any ideas what could cause this issue?
Your 2nd problem doesn't sound right at all, I have SAT retrofitted with full firmware EGS flash, coding and paddles, in SPORT manual paddle mode the car will still upshift at RPM redline. Something is not right with yours, sounds like they might of upgraded the wrong EGS firmware hence your issue.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:41 AM
J_K
New Members

My Ride: 530D Touring

Maybe you've got the petrol firmware.
i.e. it's looking for an RPM point to shift that a diesel is never going to get to.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:29 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530 mtech

hi guys,

i have a 523i 2008 and want to fit it with a m sport lci steering wheel with push and press paddle at left and rught side..i already wired 2 cable from the szl 1 to ebox and 1 to ground..and code paddle_wert_01 at egs module .. but nothing is happen ..can somebody help me..i just want to use the paddle without SAT function..

thank you
Old 06-24-2016, 03:50 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535D

hi guys i have retrofitted the push & pull lci paddle shift to my 2009 lci 520d which has the original joystick shifter not the sat shifter

The paddles dont seem to work

I have connected the szl pins
Szl pin 13 to pin 11 in the ebox to the back 12 pin connector

Szl pin 12 to ground

I have coded the paddles to wert 01
Then the paddles dont seem to work

If the wert is coded to wert 02 or wert 00 strangely the paddles only shift up by pushing the paddles with your thumbs in

At wert 01 the paddles dont work at all

Can any one clarify is i need to make any other coding changes

I have read all 83 pages

I can see mixed messages saying were to connect the szl pin 13 some say white connector pin 11

I have 2 x 12 pin connectors white and black and both had pin 11 free

Which should it be

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this many thanks
Old 06-27-2016, 04:18 AM
New Members

SAT was only available on 530i, 530d, 535d etc. they were never introduced for the lower model which is probably why it doesn't work.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:14 AM
New Members

The sat shifter hasnt been retrofitted if you see above its just the paddlle shift that im refering to
Old 06-27-2016, 12:44 PM
New Members

I understand what you mean, paddle shift will work even without SAT shifter as long as wiring is in place which you have done. But as per my previous post you have 520d which never had SAT functionality from factory therefore the EGS firmware which you are trying to code for paddles won't work, same for the other chap who just posted same issue for his 523i (which doesn't have a SAT option). It is also not advisable to flash a EGS firmware from a SAT equipped model (eg 530d) because the characteristic will be different to a 520d ie. wrong shift points, rev limiter etc.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:35 PM
New Members

So what your saying there was never a option for a 520d from factory to have paddle shift on with the standard gearstick non sat shifter

I would of thought you can fit paddle shift to any auto Bmw didnt think paddle shift cars only had to have sat shifter

Hopefully someone esle can also chime in if this is the case
Old 07-03-2016, 11:04 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530e Alpine White
Model Year: 2017

Hi everybody, after years of fun I am parting with my faithful 525i. Hence, I will be taking out all the mods that were done to the car. I have the full SAT kit including shifter+steering, also as the steering is heated I have the switch+coil spring+switch unit steering column for sell. PM me if anybody is interested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit